Possible Battery Mod Issue

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Is anyone having problems with their battery mod not charging to 100%? I have the Tumi mod and have had wonderful luck with it until the past couple of weeks. On three different occasions, I awoke to the mod only being partially charged. I've powered down and powered back up and it's continued to charge up once I've plugged it back into the charger.
This morning, I awoke to the mod sitting at 63%. I did the power down/power up thing and nothing happened. I removed the battery, pressed the reset button, and still nothing. I have tried about everything I can think of to get the battery to acknowledge the charger, but nothing is working.
The phone IS charging off the battery, and the battery is showing in my settings, so it's making good contact with the phone -- it just won't show a connection to the charger. Any charger (I've tried 4).
Thoughts?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't have the battery mod (yet), but are you charging the battery while connected to the phone, or plugging the charger directly into the mod?

Can you charge it separately?

I'm assuming you're using the official charger.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
The battery mod charges through the phone as the phone is plugged into the charger. There is no port to charge separately.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Have you tried connected both to the charger and leaving them turned off for a while?

That might tell us if it's a matter of the phone drawing extra power from the mod for some reason and keeping it from fully charging or if there's an issue with the mod itself.

If it'll charge better while the phone is off, might be a software issue on the phone or something. If it won't, I'd say that means it's an issue with the mod.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Have you tried connected both to the charger and leaving them turned off for a while?

That might tell us if it's a matter of the phone drawing extra power from the mod for some reason and keeping it from fully charging or if there's an issue with the mod itself.

If it'll charge better while the phone is off, might be a software issue on the phone or something. If it won't, I'd say that means it's an issue with the mod.
Yes, I tried that....
You know that little icon for the battery we have that shows a lightning bolt when it's charging? Well, when there's a battery mod, we have two of those icons. When I plug the phone into the charger, the phone's battery icon gets that little lightning bolt, but the battery mod's icon doesn't have it -- and it should.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Gotcha. Did you say whether you're using the official Turbo Charger that came with the phone?
Yes, and tried some other USB-C cables on other Moto chargers to see if they would work. I'm beginning to think it might be a defective mod. I have it powered down and on the charger again, here, at work. Nothing really different, but neurotically determined to charge it LOL

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm thinking you're right. I've been doing a little research here and the only issues I seem to be able to find with them is when someone's trying to use an unapproved charger.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I'm thinking you're right. I've been doing a little research here and the only issues I seem to be able to find with them is when someone's trying to use an unapproved charger.
One of the things to try, listed under "help" for the mod (on my phone) tells me to press the reset button on the mod until the green light flashes. I've been trying to do that, but it either turns off or is a steady light. It won't flash....
This is the biggest and ugliest week of the year for work, so I have very little quiet time to deal with it right now. Come Monday, I'll get in touch with Motorola and see what they have to say.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Keep us posted. I've been waiting until I had the extra money to grab one of those mods, so I'll be interested to see what you find out.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Keep us posted. I've been waiting until I had the extra money to grab one of those mods, so I'll be interested to see what you find out.
Will do.....
I just peeked at it and it's now starting to take a charge. Something is flaky with it, that's for certain.
I'm really curious as to whether others have had the same issue.
Even with the quirkiness, it's worth it, honestly. If I use it on a "normal" day, I'll go through the mod and very little of the phone's battery. Typical day is 17-18 hours with moderate use. It's been wonderful to not have to worry about plugging in somewhere to do a quick little charge if I'm going out somewhere after work -- or a long outing over the weekend.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Fully charged! I'm really curious at to whether it's a software issue or hardware..
3a2111a3770ea5e164e3404e2a0d9d3c.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk