Droid Razr White light but battery 100% issue

Lintroller

Reaction score
I'll start this by saying I bought this phone from a 3rd party and don't have a warranty. I need to fix the phone myself, by someone more knowledgeable than I, or buy a new one if this problem is not resolved.

Long story short, left my phone off while I slept and awoke to a dead phone. Plug it into the wall, white light stares back at me. The second I plug the phone in, dual core moto logo appears, and it turns on. The phone gets to the sd card check and shuts down. I try this a few times with the same result:

moto logo > SD Card check > Connect charger warning > phone shuts off > plug in charger > White light > moto logo > you get the picture

vget frustrated, leave the phone alone for an hour. Come back, try a lower power charger, same thing happens after 20 mins, white light to turn on to automatic shut off.

Open up the back of the phone, charge the phone with a spliced USB, phone is on and everything functions fine. Phone won't charge though wall, car charger, or car dock. Randomly a USB port will charge the phone, but it's sporadic at best. I have to restart my computer and the phone to get a charge, and even then it takes quite a while to charge the phone via USB port. I did a factory restore to ensure it's not a software thing, but the problem persists.

I've tried all the button combinations, powering off the phone while charging via usb, wall plugs, rain dances, string quartet and a dozen roses, etc.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this thing? I was thinking about purchasing a new battery, but the battery will take a charge via USB, so
I figure its the internals that might have a problem.

Next thing to try is a physical battery pull, but I don't have the correct screwdriver to do that yet so I'm hoping somebody can show me a thread that I missed in my search and can help me.

TL;DR :: White light on phone even with battery at 100%. Won't charge via wall / car charger, will charge if I try 1,000 times via my computer's USB port.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I'll start this by saying I bought this phone from a 3rd party and don't have a warranty. I need to fix the phone myself, by someone more knowledgeable than I, or buy a new one if this problem is not resolved.

Long story short, left my phone off while I slept and awoke to a dead phone. Plug it into the wall, white light stares back at me. The second I plug the phone in, dual core moto logo appears, and it turns on. The phone gets to the sd card check and shuts down. I try this a few times with the same result:

moto logo > SD Card check > Connect charger warning > phone shuts off > plug in charger > White light > moto logo > you get the picture

vget frustrated, leave the phone alone for an hour. Come back, try a lower power charger, same thing happens after 20 mins, white light to turn on to automatic shut off.

Open up the back of the phone, charge the phone with a spliced USB, phone is on and everything functions fine. Phone won't charge though wall, car charger, or car dock. Randomly a USB port will charge the phone, but it's sporadic at best. I have to restart my computer and the phone to get a charge, and even then it takes quite a while to charge the phone via USB port. I did a factory restore to ensure it's not a software thing, but the problem persists.

I've tried all the button combinations, powering off the phone while charging via usb, wall plugs, rain dances, string quartet and a dozen roses, etc.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this thing? I was thinking about purchasing a new battery, but the battery will take a charge via USB, so
I figure its the internals that might have a problem.

Next thing to try is a physical battery pull, but I don't have the correct screwdriver to do that yet so I'm hoping somebody can show me a thread that I missed in my search and can help me.

TL;DR :: White light on phone even with battery at 100%. Won't charge via wall / car charger, will charge if I try 1,000 times via my computer's USB port.
Well, I'm not quite sure what the hell is going on with your phone. I recommend that you PM the most respected name in batteries...our own FoxKat. If he can't solve/fix the problem no one can. He is a moderator on this forum and knows more about batteries and related problems than anyone I know. FoxKat...give him a PM.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, so you have proven the battery is not the problem by direct charging it, so replacing the battery would likely yield no benefit.

Some exploratory questions...take no offense, please;

You mention charging with power off via USB works intermittently but it never works with a wall charger or car charger/dock?
Are you using the STOCK MOTOROLA wall charger AND STOCK MOTOROLA cable in combination?
When charging with the car charger/dock, is this also STOCK MOTOROLA?
How about when charging through USB, are you using the STOCK MOTOROLA cable?

It seems that you may have a defective USB port or defective charging circuit in the phone. There is no good explanation as to why charging via USB would work sometimes but charging from the wall adapter would never work, other than a defective port.

White light indicates the charging circuit in the phone believes the battery is too low to take a charge properly. If after charging the battery directly the phone still responds with the white light, something is seriously wrong. Also, if the battery is charged directly and yet the wall adapter still creates the same partial boot and shutdown sequence, again I am leaning toward a defective phone.

One last thing I might suggest is to download Battery Calibration and run it, assuming the phone is rooted. If the phone is not rooted, first download the http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a.html (you don't need the full one, just the main installer), and root the phone, install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect root, then install and run the Battery Calibration app and wipe the batterystats.bin file as instructed.

Then use the phone NOT UNTIL DEAD as suggested by the Dev for the Battery Calibration app, but until it hits the Low Battery mark (15% in ICS), and shut the phone OFF (Hold Power button, select Power off from the menu). Once fully powered off, use the STOCK MOTOROLA wall adapter and STOCK MOTOROLA cable and charge to 100% with power off (takes about 3 hours for the RAZR, 5.5 hours for the MAXX).

Once done, use until it hits 15% again and then repeat above once more.

If this problem has anything to do with a corrupted batterystats.bin, this will fix it.

ashml003

Reaction score
Similar issue here......please help

So i have a similar problem with the white light but charged 100% on my droid razr but my phone will not come on at all.

So sometimes when i go to plug in wall charger the white light blinks white once then nothing happens, i assume it has battery life left but still wont turn on.
Other times i have put the wall charger in and it blinks white once and a quick red light flash and then the charging screen appears and it starts charging. I have let it charge to 100% a few times and when i go to turn it on nothing happens. So i try to unplug and plug charger back in and just the white light flashes no charging screen since it has already charged 100%.

I am trying to get rid of the phone so i factory reset it and this is when the phone stopped working and the white light appeared.
It also updated to jellybean on xmas eve so idk if that may have anything to do with it.

I have tried everything to reboot the phone, volume down button and power button etc but nothing works. The phone will not come on. Nor the recovery screen.

I have had this white light issue before back in july with the phone so i bought another battery for it. But last time the phone wasnt charging at all so thats why i bought the battery. It didnt work at first when i got the new battery. It actually took like two weeks before it came on again,no idea why. But after that it was working perfectly again.

So this time around i dont believe its the battery issue this time since its charging to 100%, im thinking maybe the factory reset did something to the phone if that is at all possible.

I just want to turn the phone on to make sure everything was erased after the factory reset before i try to get rid of my phone.

Any suggestions please on how to get it back on or is my droid razr done for.

Thanks

4low4fun

Reaction score
So i have a similar problem with the white light but charged 100% on my droid razr but my phone will not come on at all.

So sometimes when i go to plug in wall charger the white light blinks white once then nothing happens, i assume it has battery life left but still wont turn on.
Other times i have put the wall charger in and it blinks white once and a quick red light flash and then the charging screen appears and it starts charging. I have let it charge to 100% a few times and when i go to turn it on nothing happens. So i try to unplug and plug charger back in and just the white light flashes no charging screen since it has already charged 100%.

I am trying to get rid of the phone so i factory reset it and this is when the phone stopped working and the white light appeared.
It also updated to jellybean on xmas eve so idk if that may have anything to do with it.

I have tried everything to reboot the phone, volume down button and power button etc but nothing works. The phone will not come on. Nor the recovery screen.

I have had this white light issue before back in july with the phone so i bought another battery for it. But last time the phone wasnt charging at all so thats why i bought the battery. It didnt work at first when i got the new battery. It actually took like two weeks before it came on again,no idea why. But after that it was working perfectly again.

So this time around i dont believe its the battery issue this time since its charging to 100%, im thinking maybe the factory reset did something to the phone if that is at all possible.

I just want to turn the phone on to make sure everything was erased after the factory reset before i try to get rid of my phone.

Any suggestions please on how to get it back on or is my droid razr done for.

Thanks

Gosh I feel sorry for whoever buys your problem.. unless you're selling it for parts that is..

yaterml

Reaction score
1 when the phone does the SD check that is also when it attempts to verify the OEM Battery, The SIM Card for service, ESN, and a few other issues.

Boot looping right at that point can be
1 bad sim card/unauthorized sim
2 Bad/Corrupt SD card
3 Bad ESN/reported stolen
4 that the phones charge circuit cannot verify the Firmware on the control circuit board on the lipo battery. (My best guess)

You may not have an OEM battery, the firmware or battery board has been corrupted.
Most Moto charges charge at 750mAh most USB usually charge at 500mAh
A bad battery will reject a a fast charge but a slower charge can still be taken.
When charging via a USB only it will bypass checking the battery and firmware (most the time)
By hard wiring the to bypass the port it won't have the other pins to check the battery by passing it. If you have an extra or Old USB
Cut the computer side off. Find a wiring/pin diagram for a micro usb and hook that up to a USB port correct pins for power +/- plug it into the phone. If it charges your charge port is good. If you have the back off check the battery numbers to see if it's a serialized OEM battery. If not pin check the battery for voltage you want it to be over 3.6 but less than 4.1 volts. Then pin check the circuit board for resistance for the control circuits

ashml003

Reaction score
Gosh I feel sorry for whoever buys your problem.. unless you're selling it for parts that is..

Yes i am selling it for parts. Believe me i wouldnt want anyone to go through the problems that i have had with this phone.

ashml003

Reaction score
1 when the phone does the SD check that is also when it attempts to verify the OEM Battery, The SIM Card for service, ESN, and a few other issues.

Boot looping right at that point can be
1 bad sim card/unauthorized sim
2 Bad/Corrupt SD card
3 Bad ESN/reported stolen
4 that the phones charge circuit cannot verify the Firmware on the control circuit board on the lipo battery. (My best guess)

You may not have an OEM battery, the firmware or battery board has been corrupted.
Most Moto charges charge at 750mAh most USB usually charge at 500mAh
A bad battery will reject a a fast charge but a slower charge can still be taken.
When charging via a USB only it will bypass checking the battery and firmware (most the time)
By hard wiring the to bypass the port it won't have the other pins to check the battery by passing it. If you have an extra or Old USB
Cut the computer side off. Find a wiring/pin diagram for a micro usb and hook that up to a USB port correct pins for power +/- plug it into the phone. If it charges your charge port is good. If you have the back off check the battery numbers to see if it's a serialized OEM battery. If not pin check the battery for voltage you want it to be over 3.6 but less than 4.1 volts. Then pin check the circuit board for resistance for the control circuits

The new battery is exactly like the first one, no difference...as i said it was working perfectly fine when the battery was replaced.

I took the sd card and sim card out. The sim card was deactivated when i got my new phone. So i dont know why it might be a bad sd, sim, or bad esn. I assume the esn is cleaning being that it was working perfecly fine before the the factory reset.

But anyways thanks for the advice i will try to charge it via usb like you said.
Thank you

yaterml

Reaction score
The new battery is exactly like the first one, no difference...as i said it was working perfectly fine when the battery was replaced.

I took the sd card and sim card out. The sim card was deactivated when i got my new phone. So i dont know why it might be a bad sd, sim, or bad esn. I assume the esn is cleaning being that it was working perfecly fine before the the factory reset.

But anyways thanks for the advice i will try to charge it via usb like you said.
Thank you

Sorry my post was directed to the original poster :-(
The issue your having is making me want to believe that for some reason the FDR corrupted the boot system files. The generic charge screen doesn't require the OS to start. So a bad OS wouldn't affect charging in an off state. As for the taking 2 weeks phones do not immediately recognize and calibrate the battery. After sitting for a extended period of time the phone has to re-diagnose the battery leading to it recognizing a new battery and allowing it to boot. Bypassing the battery should allow the phone to boot because but since it cannot talk to the battery it will appear with a ? or ! on the home screen. I don't believe its a battery issue. It really sounds like the Boot Animation or Boot Files got corrupted. The OG Droid would set Boot Bricked because people would try to replace the Boot Animation with an Invalid file or would remove the files and it wouldn't load would flash like it would but there is no boot screen to load. The OS is delicate hence why Verizon thinks we should not have been allowed to have access to it and on all the next phones required for them to have locked boot loaders. Other issues are usually readily fixable but boot issues can be disastrous even if you have the Fast Boot Files.

ashml003

Reaction score
Sorry my post was directed to the original poster :-(
The issue your having is making me want to believe that for some reason the FDR corrupted the boot system files. The generic charge screen doesn't require the OS to start. So a bad OS wouldn't affect charging in an off state. As for the taking 2 weeks phones do not immediately recognize and calibrate the battery. After sitting for a extended period of time the phone has to re-diagnose the battery leading to it recognizing a new battery and allowing it to boot. Bypassing the battery should allow the phone to boot because but since it cannot talk to the battery it will appear with a ? or ! on the home screen. I don't believe its a battery issue. It really sounds like the Boot Animation or Boot Files got corrupted. The OG Droid would set Boot Bricked because people would try to replace the Boot Animation with an Invalid file or would remove the files and it wouldn't load would flash like it would but there is no boot screen to load. The OS is delicate hence why Verizon thinks we should not have been allowed to have access to it and on all the next phones required for them to have locked boot loaders. Other issues are usually readily fixable but boot issues can be disastrous even if you have the Fast Boot Files.

So if the boot files got corrupted....your basically saying there is no way to recover the phone is there?

yaterml

Reaction score
It's the biggest reason Verizon doesn't want unlocked boot loaders