Possible battery life extension test

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score
69% battery left and I've been off the charger for 4 hours with pretty light use. I think I'm going to switch from the virusrom to debloated.

If you switch to debloated rom don't forget to flash the kernel too, it has to be flashed seperately.

frankieg22x

Reaction score
69% battery left and I've been off the charger for 4 hours with pretty light use. I think I'm going to switch from the virusrom to debloated.

If you switch to debloated rom don't forget to flash the kernel too, it has to be flashed seperately.

I decided to try the Das BAMF V1.2 rom with .9 kernel. I'll report back with my battery findings.

frankieg22x

Reaction score
by the way, I can't wait to see how pissed off everyone who gave up on the tbolt is going to be once new kernels are available. I don't think this battery issue is going to be relevant in a few weeks.

Mikedd_87

Reaction score
I decided to try the Das BAMF V1.2 rom with .9 kernel. I'll report back with my battery findings.

I'm running DasBamf 1.1 from (installed right before the update)

SetCPU; Yes
SetCPU Profiles;
Charging - Max: 1024...Min 768
Screen off - Max and Min 245
Default setting without a profile: Max 768...Min 368
Rooted (Y/N); Yes
Rom; Das BAMF 1.1
Screen Brightness; Had it around 14% all day today with no problems, only when outside was it a bit difficult to see
GPS (On/Off); Off
3G/4G; 3G + WiFi

This morning my battery drained (or so it said) from 100% to 50% in 5 hours. From there on out, I barely noticed the drain...

Somewhere around 12 hours of being unplugged, I still had 43% battery and I started feeling better about the battery, seeing as my first full day using the phone it died 7 hours after unplugging and even some charging in between.

Tonite, after seeing the 43% I wanted to drain the battery so that my battery stats file rebuilds since installing the ROM yesterday, so I starting pulling youtube videos in HD over 3G and cranked my brightness to 100%

After an hour or so of streaming videos from youtube, My battery was sitting around 15%....Right now, after about 15 hours of being unplugged I am at 6%.

Keep in mind, for the past 4 hours I have been using my phone like crazy to try and kill the battery on this thing since I am wanting to do a complete discharge before charging overnight.

Will have more in depth stats later once my battery guage is more accurate, hopefully tomorrow. I'm loving Das BAMF by the way! This ROM flies!

I also removed a few extra peices of software from the phone that I do not use that were not removed in Das BAMF, pushing almost 2000 in Quadrant after a fresh boot.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Not sure why everyone thinks this is a new, clever idea that needs to be tested out...

Underclocking while the screen is off via profiles is simply common sense and is a technique that has been used since the beginning of android...it works. No additional testing or verification is necessary...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Last edited:

Mikedd_87

Reaction score
Not sure why everyone thinks this is a new, clever idea that needs to be tested out...

Underclocking while the screen is off via profiles is simply common sense and is a technique that has been used since the beginning of android...it works. No additional testing it verification is necessary...

Honestly, It's something I may not have considered along with some people that are new to using Android.

I think it does need to be tested because it may or may not fix issues with people's devices....

Before I installed a debloated ROM, I froze a ton of verizon apps and underclocked while screen off and that didn't fix the issue. It's a combination of fixes coupled with underclocking that I am seeing results with.

frankieg22x

Reaction score

SetCPU; Yes
SetCPU Profiles;
Rooted (Y/N); Yes
Rom; Das BAMF 1.1
Screen Brightness; Had it around 14% all day today with no problems, only when outside was it a bit difficult to see
GPS (On/Off); Off
3G/4G; 3G + WiFi

This morning my battery drained (or so it said) from 100% to 50% in 5 hours. From there on out, I barely noticed the drain...

Somewhere around 12 hours of being unplugged, I still had 43% battery and I started feeling better about the battery, seeing as my first full day using the phone it died 7 hours after unplugging and even some charging in between.

Tonite, after seeing the 43% I wanted to drain the battery so that my battery stats file rebuilds since installing the ROM yesterday, so I starting pulling youtube videos in HD over 3G and cranked my brightness to 100%

After an hour or so of streaming videos from youtube, My battery was sitting around 15%....Right now, after about 15 hours of being unplugged I am at 6%.

Keep in mind, for the past 4 hours I have been using my phone like crazy to try and kill the battery on this thing since I am wanting to do a complete discharge before charging overnight.

Will have more in depth stats later once my battery guage is more accurate, hopefully tomorrow. I'm loving Das BAMF by the way! This ROM flies!

I also removed a few extra peices of software from the phone that I do not use that were not removed in Das BAMF, pushing almost 2000 in Quadrant after a fresh boot.

how did you install the new kernel for the bamf rom?

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score

Underclocking while the screen is off via profiles is simply common sense and is a technique that has been used since the beginning of android...it works. No additional testing or verification is necessary...

Although I can see your point, I never needed to setup a profile like this for my D1 that I had for 14 months. I started this thread because it seemed like my phone was clocking up the processor totally unnecessarily while the screen was off. As if HTC baked something in the rom that was using processing constantly (who knows maybe some attempt to make sure 4g went off without a hitch).

I am thinking this is something that will be fixed in a future rom/kernel update, but for now this solved my problem. Take it for what you will. Just trying to help others who might have a similar problem :)

sincerity

Reaction score
reporting results again today...I had to do the perflock disable thing last night around 5pm....so not sure if that has anything to do with it...but same usage as yesterday, even lighter than yesterday actually, 6.5 hours later i'm down to 43%....just shocking drops. was @ 68 before lunch...phone in pocket all lunch, took out hour later and @ 43...something is clearly up and I hope the kernels soon to be released change this....display is the highest setting. Earlier, was @ 95% when I got to the office, phone sat OFF on my desk, checked hr later and was @ 73% and display was 40% of battery. crazy.

only thing that has changed from yesterday to today would be running @ 768 instead of 1085 or whatever....doesn't make sense

Last edited:

Mikedd_87

Reaction score

SetCPU; Yes
SetCPU Profiles;
Rooted (Y/N); Yes
Rom; Das BAMF 1.1
GPS (On/Off); Off
3G/4G; 3G + WiFi

I used the PG05IMG.zip file to flash the new kernal.

New Stats! Same setcpu settings, brightness at 14%

Battery is at 79% as of right now, has been running for 9hrs 43mins.

Phone has had moderate usage. Mostly emails and text and a bit of browsing today. Listened to music on my way to work this morning.

Cell standby: 25% of battery
Phone Idle: 24%
Display: 24%
the rest are low.

Last edited:

aka_rob

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I have been using my phone quite a bit today, fb, txt and music.. after 10 hours I'm at 25%. Yesterday I was charging by noon.

Question though.. does going in and out of 3g,4g, and 1x constantly have much of an affect on battery life?

frankieg22x

Reaction score

SetCPU; Yes
SetCPU Profiles;
Rooted (Y/N); Yes
Rom; Das BAMF 1.1
GPS (On/Off); Off
3G/4G; 3G + WiFi

I used the PG05IMG.zip file to flash the new kernal.

New Stats! Same setcpu settings, brightness at 14%

Battery is at 79% as of right now, has been running for 9hrs 43mins.

Phone has had moderate usage. Mostly emails and text and a bit of browsing today. Listened to music on my way to work this morning.

Cell standby: 25% of battery
Phone Idle: 24%
Display: 24%
the rest are low.

I tried to load the new kernel the other night and my phone kept freezing at the clouds on bootup. Can you post some quick instructions on exactly how you did it.

I put the zip on the root of my SD and let the bootloader flash it, but it didn't take.

Thanks

Mikedd_87

Reaction score
I tried to load the new kernel the other night and my phone kept freezing at the clouds on bootup. Can you post some quick instructions on exactly how you did it.

I put the zip on the root of my SD and let the bootloader flash it, but it didn't take.

Thanks
Placed the kernal zip file on the SD Card.

I installed the Das BAMF Rom first, afterwards I skipped all setups and rebooted. once the phone was off, I held down the volume key and booted to the bootloader. The zip file was immediately recognized and all I had to do was press volume up to confirm.

After pressing confirm, the whole process took maybe 20 seconds until I was booting up.

Make absolutely sure that your bootloader says S-OFF

BTW, update on the battery. 15 hours unplugged and I have 70% battery left. Leaving unplugged tomorrow, if I have time in the morning I'll report back in.

frankieg22x

Reaction score

Thanks
Placed the kernal zip file on the SD Card.

I installed the Das BAMF Rom first, afterwards I skipped all setups and rebooted. once the phone was off, I held down the volume key and booted to the bootloader. The zip file was immediately recognized and all I had to do was press volume up to confirm.

After pressing confirm, the whole process took maybe 20 seconds until I was booting up.

Make absolutely sure that your bootloader says S-OFF

BTW, update on the battery. 15 hours unplugged and I have 70% battery left. Leaving unplugged tomorrow, if I have time in the morning I'll report back in.

Thank you. I'll try it again tonight.

Battery update;

Been unplugged for 17 hours and I currently have 10% left. This is the lowest my battery has been since I purchased it. The charge was from my computer and not a wall outlet as well.

SetCPU;
768 Max
245 Min

Screen Off;
245 Max
245 Min

Brightness;
Auto Brightness

3G/4G;
3G only

Sync;
Gmail to sync everything
Email account 1 to sync every 30 minutes
Email account 2 to sync every 2 hours

Rooted with blockbuster, golf, and a few other apps deleted, but other then that it is stock with root.

I'm going to load the updated kernal tonight. We'll see if that makes a difference.