Underclocking + battery saver application = decreased battery

w0lfinator

Reaction score
I underclocked as low as possible when screen is off and tasker set to auto sync every 25...battery life is just unreal...I am at 16+ hours end almost 60% left...predicted to get about 31 hours.. I marty just have to up auto sync now see how well it does.. I'll go back to every 15 minutes for auto sync..

Sent from TB

w0lfinator

Reaction score
Underclocked while screen is off to 245 - 245, while screen on is 768 - 1024.
Turn data and Auto Sync on for 30 seconds every 15 minutes while screen is off and not connected to Wifi.
Turn Auto Sync on for 1 minute every 20 minutes regardless of screen state while on Wifi.
-It has been 26 hours and my battery is at 22%. It is estimated that this thing will die at 3:45pm, but it also said last night that it would die this AM at 7:20.

WHO KNOWS HOW LONG IT WILL SURVIVE!?!?! We are on pace for WELL over 30 hours.

I am going to continue to tweak, just to see how frequently I can get the data to sync without really draining the battery.
-Two days ago I would sync every 25 minutes and the battery was estimating it would be over 40 hours easily.
-Today, I am going to up the Auto Sync to 45 seconds every 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds every 15 minutes and change the Wifi in range sync to be every 15 minutes for 1 minute regardless of screen state.

droidFreak190

Reaction score
hey I just rooted my phone and realized that SetCPU isn't having any effect on the stock rom/kernel.....

is that right?^

lets say I have to flash a new kernel to over/underclock, do I have to flash a new rom or can I keep the rom stock and flash a new custom kernel over it?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
hey I just rooted my phone and realized that SetCPU isn't having any effect on the stock rom/kernel.....

is that right?^

lets say I have to flash a new kernel to over/underclock, do I have to flash a new rom or can I keep the rom stock and flash a new custom kernel over it?

Well it depends what you mean by "effect." The stock kernel will only let you go up to 1Ghz. You'll need to install a custom kernel to go above 1.0Ghz. But with the stock kernel you should be able to add a Screen Off Profile that downclocks the CPU while the screen is off. But yeah, undervolting = new Kernel.

Just flash a new kernel, it's entirely separate from the Rom. You should be able to keep the rom stock and flash a new custom kernel over it. But just in case, do a backup in Clockwork so if it doesn't boot, you can restore your backup!

droidFreak190

Reaction score
its weird tho il set it to underclock to 2hundred something and over to 7 hundred something... and in the middle it will say 1024 mhz still (that its running at)...i set it to do that at boot...same thing.. like i said stock rom and kernel..but rooted..maybe i shoudl reinstall SetCPU?

droidFreak190

Reaction score
wow worked perfect...underclocking now and have a screen off profile set....THANKS!

should I do anything with the advanced section (threshold and samping rate) im on on demand governer?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
wow worked perfect...underclocking now and have a screen off profile set....THANKS!

should I do anything with the advanced section (threshold and samping rate) im on on demand governer?

I wouldn't mess with it. I've done quite a bit of reading on it but no one REALLY has a solid grasp on it. I just leave it default. And yes, I recommend On Demand for the best battery life/performance combination. Some people swear by conservative governor but I notice a bit of a lag. Enjoy your battery life :).

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Load up a bamf kernel and try the smartass governor. It's super fast, underclocks when the screen is off without setting a profile. It's fast like interactive, and saves battery like conservative. Not to mention it's undervolted and less voltage = less heat = better battery life. I've tried juice defender and in my opinion it wasn't at all worth it. Just don't let every app on your phone sync, try an undervolted kernel, and you'll be fine.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

alboboy10

Reaction score
Good to hear. I'm getting INSANE battery life with Das BAMF 1.3.2 Unthemed and the 1.2Ghz undervolted kernel. I'm happy and unlike my days with my OG Droid, I'm probably going to stick with this for a long time.

Are there directions anywhere on the forum on how to load roams on your phone? I only rooted yesterday, and am not too familiar with loading roams.

Also, if you load a new roam to your phone will everything deleted? After rooting everything got deleted and I had to redownload all the apps, put them in the places where I wanted them, and fix up a couple more tweeks in settings etc the way I had it before. Don't wanna do all of that all over again!

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Good to hear. I'm getting INSANE battery life with Das BAMF 1.3.2 Unthemed and the 1.2Ghz undervolted kernel. I'm happy and unlike my days with my OG Droid, I'm probably going to stick with this for a long time.

Are there directions anywhere on the forum on how to load roams on your phone? I only rooted yesterday, and am not too familiar with loading roams.

Also, if you load a new roam to your phone will everything deleted? After rooting everything got deleted and I had to redownload all the apps, put them in the places where I wanted them, and fix up a couple more tweeks in settings etc the way I had it before. Don't wanna do all of that all over again!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-roms/140736-how-flash-roms-thunderbolt.html#post1453850