POP email repeat notification fix yet?

RoastedMonk

Reaction score
Just got the Droid x 2 days ago. Starting to like it. But...

The gmail has an option for single notification. (that's GREAT)

The regular POP email program does not have that setting option.

So if I get an email on that acct in the middle of the night I get the notification (no big deal). But if I don't get up and check that email... I'll get repeat notifications every 30 mins (which is my fetch schedule) or so until I check it! ARRRGGGHHH.:cus:

Other than downloading K-9 has anyone found or know of a fix/solution?

Monk

Mikejl

Reaction score
I had the exact problem and I downloaded "Timeriffic" from the Market. It's a free app. I set it to automatically turn notification volume off between the hours of 10 pm to 6 am. Works like a charm.

You can also set the volume of the Phone and/or Notifications during the hours you want them on.

I have weekday and weekend settings setup.

Mike

OP
R

RoastedMonk

Reaction score
Hmmm.... This sounds GREAT. Exactly what I would want.

Does it use up a lot of battery? Cause lock ups or force closes?

Will the phone still ring and alarm go off like normal?

It'll just suppress the text and email notifications during the time you choose?

Monk

Mikejl

Reaction score

Does it use up a lot of battery? No. Cause lock ups or force closes? No.

Will the phone still ring and alarm go off like normal? Yes.

It'll just suppress the text and email notifications during the time you choose? Yes.
Monk

I've been using it for close to a year now with now issues. I use it for basically for suppressing the notifications during sleep hours and presetting the phone and notification volumes during waking hours for weekdays and weekends.

Give it a try. If you find you don't like it for some reason you can always uninstall it.

Mike

OP
R

RoastedMonk

Reaction score

It'll just suppress the text and email notifications during the time you choose? Yes.
Monk

I've been using it for close to a year now with now issues. I use it for basically for suppressing the notifications during sleep hours and presetting the phone and notification volumes during waking hours for weekdays and weekends.

Give it a try. If you find you don't like it for some reason you can always uninstall it.

Mike

:icon_ banana: I owe you a tasty adult beverage! Tried it overnight and it works perfectly. I can still receive phone calls (I'm always on call) yet the email and other notifications are surpressed until the scheduled time.

Now I don't want to get rid of the phone.

Huge Kudos for the recommendation.

Monk

tnronin

Reaction score
Yepper timerrific rocks!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Mikejl

Reaction score

Monk

Mike

:icon_ banana: I owe you a tasty adult beverage! Tried it overnight and it works perfectly. I can still receive phone calls (I'm always on call) yet the email and other notifications are surpressed until the scheduled time.

Now I don't want to get rid of the phone.

Huge Kudos for the recommendation.

Monk
Good to hear!

Mike

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the exact problem and I downloaded "Timeriffic" from the Market. It's a free app. I set it to automatically turn notification volume off between the hours of 10 pm to 6 am. Works like a charm.
I use Tasker to disable all sounds except for calls and alarms while docked. There's usually more than one way to skin a cat.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use an app called Bedside. It displays a bedside clock and has an option to disable notifications and others things. Great little app.

As to the native pop3 email app, here's part of a writeup I did a long time ago about battery life. One of the items in that writeup was about using the gmail app for all emails:

[FONT=&quot]Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.[/FONT]

Reaction score
You could just put the phone in "silent" mode, you can do so from the lock screen. Swipe, done.

There is also a profile app called Llama, as well as others, that will automatically do this based on your location and or time of day.