Status
Not open for further replies.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This subject has been talked about a lot in here since the Droids release. I've talked to a developer who is very well versed in Linux/Android and he summarized the following as correct......

Android is different to most other phone operating systems. It's closer to Linux than any other type of operating system. Lots of services and applications constantly run in the background just like they do on Windows. However, and this is important, they do not have to use up a ton of resources. A service or app can be loaded, yet use almost no additional memory, and 0% CPU until it actually has to do something.

In general, killing off stuff is a waste of time. Android automatically asks apps to close that aren't needed when it needs more memory. Killing off some of the processes you are killing off also means it'll slow your phone down, as these processes only need to reload, and when you do need to use them it means the phone will be slower for the few seconds it takes to reload them.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ggestions/15994-proximity-sensor-problem.html

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
this is nice to know..... i wasnt sure how close android was to linux... and me being an ex-linux administrator this is a good thing...

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I deleted the App Killer...it just leads to OCD : )

Bill M

Reaction score
that's the way it should be! Devices such as the blackberry or any other phone device shouldn't need a battery pull or an app that mimicks a battery pull or closes out applications.
These phones cost a lot of money and they should work right out of the box.

And firmware updates should be for updated features, not to fix things that should already work!

ahampton2k

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...am used to Storm where I had to try and keep every precious mb free by keeping apps closed. Will try to remove app killer and let the os do its job. :)

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
This subject has been talked about a lot in here since the Droids release. I've talked to a developer who is very well versed in Linux/Android and he summarized the following as correct......

Android is different to most other phone operating systems. It's closer to Linux than any other type of operating system. Lots of services and applications constantly run in the background just like they do on Windows. However, and this is important, they do not have to use up a ton of resources. A service or app can be loaded, yet use almost no additional memory, and 0% CPU until it actually has to do something.

In general, killing off stuff is a waste of time. Android automatically asks apps to close that aren't needed when it needs more memory. Killing off some of the processes you are killing off also means it'll slow your phone down, as these processes only need to reload, and when you do need to use them it means the phone will be slower for the few seconds it takes to reload them.

Is there a reference so i could back up my statement to someone else, killing apps is a pain and you become obsess about it, but does wi-fi, gps, maps eat up the battery or doesn't matter if they run.

andjarnic

Reaction score
Android isn't "close" to linux, it IS linux.. that is the OS that runs on all android phones is a linux kernel, 2.6.x. Android is a platform that runs on top of the linux kernel and handles the task of starting up individual Dalvik JVMs for each app you run. Each and every app you see running in your task list is a separate JVM instance all to itself, so that if the app crashes the JVM, it ONLY brings down that one app. The phone still works, as do the other apps. Each time you install an app, it's installed as a separate user as well. So each app you run, runs as it's own separate user too, making it that much more secure from one app to the next.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Is there a reference so i could back up my statement to someone else, killing apps is a pain and you become obsess about it, but does wi-fi, gps, maps eat up the battery or doesn't matter if they run.
yes wi-fi, gps, maps, bluetooth will eat up battery

noles200

Reaction score

I read this in the crackberry forums from someone there too. I remember seeing you and the other poster talking about it. Glad you brought it over here droidforums.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
thanks cereal, i was worried and i frequently use the task manager to kill all processes due to the fact that i am scared that my droid would run slow..

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Don't use app killer.. Hmmmmmm

1. Apps could possibly use battery life... (Why would I want to let that happen?)

2. Battery Life seems to be a big thing....

3. I don't use my phone for 45min.. And previously used App Killer to disable multiple items.. I come back.. I have things like Alarm Clock and others that have NO business being opened much less running... I kill them.. Jump from 65 to 104mb of memory..

4. Please tell me how killing UNEEDED items is a waste...lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.