Stopping unwanted services from starting AT ALL

OP
J

justageek

Reaction score
Meh - its fun and makes a bit of cash

You work on real-time-OS all day and with the N1 etc.. then write an app for yourself and sell it on the market for some extra pocket change?

So, sure - that and more. The number of MPU/digital based systems I hack rivals the computer history museum (not really but it exceeds 300). I finally got rid of the 8 & 16 bit systems - sell most of them.

My kids are grown and moved out. This is the hobby that I started and then they started paying me for it (in 1979).

OP
J

justageek

Reaction score
NO! rooting my phone is not an option. I have a rooted phone that I use in my work (on phones). I just want a phone that WORKS RIGHT. This is an appliance. I don't go in and change the rotation speed on my dish washer nor change the output power of the transmitters on my microwave. This is NOT a hobby phone. I have other phones (Nexus one and others) that I do this on for a living.

This mechanics car won't be broken down all the time.

The idea that any device not build completely to your own specifications is going to work perfectly is an idealist fallacy. ANY OS I've ever used, I've had to make changes to in some way so that it performs better according to my usage model. Just like the mechanic, I ensure my phone is functioning as close to MY specifications as possible by making a few alterations here and there.

Alterations, like killing useless services. Removing unneeded cruft applications. Installing applications. This works fine on my WinMobile phones. (well i cant remove the cruft apps on them either).

I'm not talking about tweeking the kernel, overclocking, bypassing security and getting to S1 boot or PRL, I'm talking having programs not run. There is a huge difference between these levels of involvement, complexity, and responsibility.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
NO! rooting my phone is not an option. I have a rooted phone that I use in my work (on phones). I just want a phone that WORKS RIGHT. This is an appliance. I don't go in and change the rotation speed on my dish washer nor change the output power of the transmitters on my microwave. This is NOT a hobby phone. I have other phones (Nexus one and others) that I do this on for a living.

This mechanics car won't be broken down all the time.

The idea that any device not build completely to your own specifications is going to work perfectly is an idealist fallacy. ANY OS I've ever used, I've had to make changes to in some way so that it performs better according to my usage model. Just like the mechanic, I ensure my phone is functioning as close to MY specifications as possible by making a few alterations here and there.

Alterations, like killing useless services. Removing unneeded cruft applications. Installing applications. This works fine on my WinMobile phones. (well i cant remove the cruft apps on them either).

I'm not talking about tweeking the kernel, overclocking, bypassing security and getting to S1 boot or PRL, I'm talking having programs not run. There is a huge difference between these levels of involvement, complexity, and responsibility.

Doesn't the "startup auditor" suggestion from another poster above meet your requirements? If not, why?

OP
J

justageek

Reaction score
Doesn't the "startup auditor" suggestion from another poster above meet your requirements? If not, why?

Well, what I have read of it the product is nothing different than other task killers. A running program (i want fewer of these not another one) that kills other programs once they start.

Am I correct in this assessment?

If so, then the reason is obviated by the previous statement... I want fewer programs in memory (dormant or not) and more resources. I don't want another program running that periodically kills others.

I had thought about the idea to replace the ELF32 cookie in these applications - then the /system/bin/linker interpreter may just cough and dump stuff to the log occasionally. The log will never exceed a maximum size (probably attained and stays at that size by now). So, it wont take many resources for very long - just long enough for the interpreter to cough and log.

But, this requires root access for a short time

GeLopez

Reaction score
Once more, startup auditor will stop anything you want from starting or running or opening and its cool that you get to decide the behavior

OP
J

justageek

Reaction score
Once more, startup auditor will stop anything you want from starting or running or opening and its cool that you get to decide the behavior

I'll give it a try - yet... I still seem to be missing the point here in what I am writing or what I'm reading.

EDITED: I gave it a try - The list of applications that it manages is far less than advanced task killer and excludes most of those I am specifically addressing. FAIL

Does startup auditor actually run on the phone? If so, does it stop and not run anymore until I start it?

If it is "just another daemon" I am gaining little more than replacing a vocoder with a more simplistic application (presumably).

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, what I have read of it the product is nothing different than other task killers. A running program (i want fewer of these not another one) that kills other programs once they start.

Am I correct in this assessment?

If so, then the reason is obviated by the previous statement... I want fewer programs in memory (dormant or not) and more resources. I don't want another program running that periodically kills others.

I had thought about the idea to replace the ELF32 cookie in these applications - then the /system/bin/linker interpreter may just cough and dump stuff to the log occasionally. The log will never exceed a maximum size (probably attained and stays at that size by now). So, it wont take many resources for very long - just long enough for the interpreter to cough and log.

But, this requires root access for a short time

You're probably correct, especially if the o/s is tenacious in starting programs that are "blocked" when the device is first booted.

Frankly, though, I think you've painted yourself into a corner, haven't you? You don't want to root the device to control the o/s behavior but you don't want to have a separate application do so, either.

I sympathize to some extent. I find it aesthetically offensive to have "shop savvy," an app I use only very occasionally sitting in memory when I haven't used, don't intend to use it, and am sitting in my home, not at a store. And I find it especially offensive to have Amazon's MP3 Store started every time I boot my phone simply because Google and Amazon have decided I should have instant access to the program.

On the other hand, I also recognize this is mainly an aesthetic consideration. I certainly don't believe I can manage memory better than the o/s. And as far as I can tell none of the applications that offend me have any significant effect on the performance of my phone.

R

Romple

If it is "just another daemon" I am gaining little more than replacing a vocoder with a more simplistic application (presumably).

I understand the "replacing one service with another" line of thought. But certainly it's the lesser of two evils in regards to resources being used.

OP
J

justageek

Reaction score

I understand the "replacing one service with another" line of thought. But certainly it's the lesser of two evils in regards to resources being used.

Sadly it failed to do anything of use for me - it cant even seem to find these daemons. So, the point or option of startup auditor is moot. Its a loser when compared to ATK (free).

nphil

Reaction score
Don't bother with startup auditor, I believe it works by actively killing processes that you've disabled from startup much like a task killer. Waste of resources.

AFAIK there really isn't any unrooted solution to stop these processes from starting up.

OP
J

justageek

Reaction score
You're probably correct, especially if the o/s is tenacious in starting programs that are "blocked" when the device is first booted.

Frankly, though, I think you've painted yourself into a corner, haven't you? You don't want to root the device to control the o/s behavior but you don't want to have a separate application do so, either.

I sympathize to some extent. I find it aesthetically offensive to have "shop savvy," an app I use only very occasionally sitting in memory when I haven't used, don't intend to use it, and am sitting in my home, not at a store. And I find it especially offensive to have Amazon's MP3 Store started every time I boot my phone simply because Google and Amazon have decided I should have instant access to the program.

On the other hand, I also recognize this is mainly an aesthetic consideration. I certainly don't believe I can manage memory better than the o/s. And as far as I can tell none of the applications that offend me have any significant effect on the performance of my phone.

There is no intense thought involved in the determination that I have no need for MP3 store to even be on the phone. Once I get this phone to the place that I am not using it for first-system testing it probably will never play more than ring tones, and alerts, and Librovox MP3s (no need for Amazon here).

So, I am certain that you belittle yourself on this matter. You can better manage memory than the application layers of the OS. And THESE are what is making the bad decisions related to starting these applications and services. it is Not the OS.

Regarding 'corner painting'... The lack of an exit in this virtual room (no way of doing the right thing) enforces that, should one paint then they would eventually be 'cornered'.

OP
J

justageek

Reaction score
Don't bother with startup auditor, I believe it works by actively killing processes that you've disabled from startup much like a task killer. Waste of resources.

AFAIK there really isn't any unrooted solution to stop these processes from starting up.

Thanks - i bought it and uninstalled it too - They said i got credited for it at the uninstall

Last edited:

dlnp22

Reaction score
I'm using startup auditor and it is doing exactly as advertised- keeping things from reopening and starting on their own. Albeit, not ALL items I'd like, but quite a few. With ATK, etc- don't your have to manually stop each process each time they start back up again? What am I missing?

MuF

Reaction score
I loved how most of you here just typed "utfg" instead of reading op's question...

So I bump this thread...

Is there any way on rooted or not rooted device to prevent services and apps from running?

Don't suggest any task killers or startup managers - I want the service not to start. I don't want the service to start and then another service to start to kill the previous service. Don't you see it'd complete bull

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJ

Reaction score
I don't think there is a way on non-rooted phones.

I don't have a rooted phone (and 99.99999999% never will), and there are programs I hate to see even on my phone (the Amazon MP3 one and the Twitter one). I can kill the Amazon one, but it keeps coming back. Heck, at times it's running - downloading things for hours (according to the "Running Services" screen), and I have never used it.

All I ever here from people is "root your phone and then you can do whatever you want with it - even delete system programs." And I'm sick of it.

So if you're one of the ones who has rooted your phone, I'm sure someone has a way to get rid of programs. If not, you're screwed.