How do you get by without a task killer?

natty_lite

Reaction score
As I said, the phone is still slow. Those are the only processing running that I can look at and say "that doesn't make sense." So you think I should sit around and be happy with my phone when it's not running as fast as it should because you and the Android documentation says "yeah, we're handling the resources" ?

I would like to make two points: And I apologize if this is rehashing stuff already covered in this thread. I tried to go back and read all these pages, but it just made me feel OLD and TIRED. So I stopped reading.

1) Part of your problem, it seems to me, is semantics. Those apps are not "running". They are loaded in memory and Dormant.

2) I wonder if your reception of your phone's speed is totally accurate. I mean it seems to be very subjective. Try this: menu/settings/Sound&Display/Animations/ and select No Animations. You will see your screen snap from one to the other. You may loose interest in your task killer then as your phone will seem "faster".

There is no point in continuing this thread because no matter the logic your answer is always "my phone feels faster/slower". I do have one more non-serious question: When was the last time you had your eyes calibrated?? :):)

Someone should make a permanent sticky with that as the title.

OP
Q

qoncept

My Question:
Why do you care??
Something is slowing my phone down that I can only fix by killing tasks. You and a million other people say you don't have that problem. I want to fix it.

You obviously feel that you MUST have a task killer. Obviously no one is going to change you mind with regard to that.
I guess you need to reevaluate what is "obvious." I uninstalled my task killer. If I wanted to argue that a task killer was absolutely necessary, my original post would have been a statement, not a question. And, as I also said before, the problem with this thread is that everyone is assuming I don't genuinely want to know how to make my phone faster without a task killer. Instead, they want to repeat over and over again why apps listed as "running" aren't slowing it down.

Can I make this simple? I don't care what isn't the problem. I want to know what IS.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can I make this simple? I don't care what isn't the problem. I want to know what IS.

The problem is that no one but you is in a good position to determine the answer to that question. Each of us has a unique set of applications loaded and running on our phones. Each of us has a unique and subjective perception of what "slow" and "fast" is. Just as each of us has different expectations with regard to battery life.

Other than tossing out random opinions that may or may not apply to your situation, no one is in a good position to diagnose your phone's problems.

Try the following. Get a stopwatch. Remove each and every app you have added since you bought your phone. Determine a set of tests that will give you an idea of how "speedy" or "slow" your phone is.

Now add an app. Run the test. Record the results using a stopwatch. Uninstall the app. Install another app. Run the test. Record the result. Uninstall the app. Install another...and so on. Keep notes. See if you can determine which application or combination of applications is causing your problem.

Or you can complain that no one is telling you what is causing a problem you haven't yet defined.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My Question:
Why do you care??
Something is slowing my phone down that I can only fix by killing tasks. You and a million other people say you don't have that problem. I want to fix it.

You obviously feel that you MUST have a task killer. Obviously no one is going to change you mind with regard to that.
I guess you need to reevaluate what is "obvious." I uninstalled my task killer. If I wanted to argue that a task killer was absolutely necessary, my original post would have been a statement, not a question. And, as I also said before, the problem with this thread is that everyone is assuming I don't genuinely want to know how to make my phone faster without a task killer. Instead, they want to repeat over and over again why apps listed as "running" aren't slowing it down.

I read last night in another thread about email issues that someone was having problems with the phone slowing down periodically and they would go to Menu/Settings/Manage Apps/Email (or k-9 whatever email app you use) and then clear the cache. He said it fixed his email issues and his phone would immediately speed up. He seemed to say that the problem would come up every few days(?). You might try it.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Using memory to cache apps you're never going to use IS a waste. And half of the apps in that list I don't use. I'll do some digging today to see if I can find a single app that's causing a problem, or maybe a conflict between a couple. In the meantime, a task killer sure is easier.
so remove those said apps you NEVER use and be done with it.
its a known fact task killers DO NOT PLAY NICE with other apps.

-=Jason=-

dbmorris

Reaction score
Always funny when I see this thread over and over again. I agree with the original poster, my phone runs better when I run task killer from time to time, brother's is the same way. Don't know why, don't care, it just works. But to each his own.

Danny

DroidxRage

Reaction score
Skimmed through most of this thread... my $0.02:

In most cases they aren't needed. Like people have said, Android is pretty good at managing resources.

That being said, I run one, and I find it very useful sometimes. Ex: started Rhapsody, and somehow it starts playing 2 songs at once. I hit pause, and only one of the songs pauses, the other keeps playing and I can't stop it. No option to EXIT on rhapsody app, so unless I kill the process somehow that song wasn't stopping. I know I can go through Services, but it takes longer, and I don't notice any ill-effects from having the taskiller installed. Never once has appeared on my battery list.

If people REALLY wanna see their memory in action, I recommend this app. See the post, but it gives you a lot more detailed information about how your memory is being used:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ge-plus-peak-memory-usage-memory-utility.html

FWIW - TasKiller uses 24MB peak memory, and is sitting at 18 for me now. I'll probably get rid of that, since the app I linked can kill tasks also, and it tells you whether that app is actively running lines of code before you kill it.

Summary: not something that needs to be used every 10 minutes or anything, but I definitely see the need to have one in some fashion IMO.