I don't understand the task killer argument...

velocity92c

Reaction score
I see so many people saying task killers are useless but noone ever really explains why. I can give you two examples from the past 15 minutes where I used a task killer.

1) kicked back to my home screen from Dungeon Hunter but it remained open. Tried switching back into it and was stuck on a black screen. Hit my home button, opened up ATK and killed the process. Loaded it up again and it worked fine. How can this not be considered a valid situation where a task killer helped? I know you can kill tasks withot one but this method is much faster.

2) plenty of times after using my phone for a while it will become very sluggish. Check my available RAM and it's under 30. Hit my atk widget and it rises to 70-90. Phone is immediately faster.

And these are just two right off the top of my head. If I don't do number 2 to free up some RAM I can't score higher than 1300 in quadrant, but after killing apps I can score 1600+.

So please stop saying that task killers are useless, I use mine several times a day. You may not like them, but I don't see anyone getting flamed for not using them lol.

Skull One

Reaction score
I see so many people saying task killers are useless but noone ever really explains why. I can give you two examples from the past 15 minutes where I used a task killer.

1) kicked back to my home screen from Dungeon Hunter but it remained open. Tried switching back into it and was stuck on a black screen. Hit my home button, opened up ATK and killed the process. Loaded it up again and it worked fine. How can this not be considered a valid situation where a task killer helped? I know you can kill tasks withot one but this method is much faster.

2) plenty of times after using my phone for a while it will become very sluggish. Check my available RAM and it's under 30. Hit my atk widget and it rises to 70-90. Phone is immediately faster.

And these are just two right off the top of my head. If I don't do number 2 to free up some RAM I can't score higher than 1300 in quadrant, but after killing apps I can score 1600+.

So please stop saying that task killers are useless, I use mine several times a day. You may not like them, but I don't see anyone getting flamed for not using them lol.

The argument is primarily about "Automatic Task Killers" when the phone is put into sleep/standby.

The argument of course is "Does it actually accomplish something"? The simple answer is yes. If the applications being used is misbehaved and doesn't suspend properly while in sleep/standby a "Auto-killer" is needed. But if all your apps are properly written then it is simply a placebo.

The second issue was pointed out by you very well. Yes Quadrant can run faster with less apps in memory. It has nothing to do with memory though but the simple fact is the apps are taking CPU time away from Quadrant because they are loaded and don't properly suspend when they are not the foreground app. That is a coding issue created by the application developer, not a memory or Android OS issue.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had this long thing I wrote out about task killers and you know what's the point. Truth is these threads are a waste of time and more unnecessary then the task killer by far.

So please, no more threads about task killers.. Pretty please…I beg of you….

Reaction score
Bill it really seems that once a new phone comes out in our community that its nothing but task killer, rooting, and i cant figure out threads non-stop. I personally am fine with answering rooting and i cant figure out or how do i do this threads. But it seems that whenever there is a Task killer thread is always the same thing. Same comments, same arguements, same thread.

How about if you want our opinion on task killers dont use em, but if you still wanna use one then fine use it, it makes no difference to us. But why do you need to start threads to just argue your already dead point to people who have been there and back and know from both personal experience and coming from the mouths of Android devs.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Please why are people still making threads on this lol... just use it or don't, please stop leaning on the community to make up your mind for you on this subject.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
I think you guys missed the point of my thread, but my fingers hurt and I don't feel like typing it out. Oh well.

ewells2420

Reaction score
I had this long thing I wrote out about task killers and you know what's the point. Truth is these threads are a waste of time and more unnecessary then the task killer by far.

Read my mind.

Reaction score
I think you guys missed the point of my thread, but my fingers hurt and I don't feel like typing it out. Oh well.

We got your point. You want to argue.

Our point is this topic has been beaten to death. If you enjoy using one then do so. But the rest of us do not believe in them and believe from our own experience and what people in and around the Android Development community have said.

I used one until about 2 months ago and i must say once i stopped i noticed i haven't had a single glitch or stupid bugs coming from apps running weird or wrong. And i usually go from 24-36 hours before i need a charge on my phone which is different from it seeming like around mid to late afternoon needing a charge.

eliassami5

Reaction score
I dont get why we dont have a sticky for this topic already...

Verizon reps are a big part of this problem, atk is useful sometimes when an app becomes stubborn but besides that you shouldn't worry about it.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I'm just being a jerk...sortof. This issue was covered with one of the first responses in this thread. By and large, taskillers are useless. Their autokill functions and lists that people add every single app to, hinder the phone's functioning. Their only real merit lies in occasionally using them to kill a rogue/malfunctioning app, which I might add, you can also do with the built in task killer of an app like Astro (which actually has other useful functions).

And there's no sticky because people wouldn't read it and would still make these threads.

eliassami5

Reaction score
ya ppl wont read the sticky but at least we have a common thread we can just reffer people to when future posts about task killers arise

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see so many people saying task killers are useless
That's because you're missing/misunderstanding/misstating the point. Task killers are not needed unless you have a misbehaving app. In such cases, the app needs to be addressed as the task killer is really just addressing the symptom rather than the cause.

Newbies using task killers without knowing what they're doing can cause more problems. A task killer is not the way to address battery life issues.

That's it, basically. Nothing in all that means that task killers are useless. In any case, this is a
deadhorse.gif

wricks

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hook, you may use this as you see fit.....

beatdeadhorse5.gif