cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I've since updated the OP....changes are below:

1/16/2010 edit: Since this posting. I reinstalled the ATK for testing purposes in December. I immediately ran into a problem with lock-ups when on long calls. I searched the internet for info and found that others were experiencing this same thing. I realized that the only thing I changed was installing the ATK. Upon uninstall the problem went away. I'm posting a link to the thread where one of our members, hacku, experienced the same issue and I assisted him. If you are new reader to this post or perhaps have noticed this problem on your device I suggest uninstalling the ATK. It will fix the proximity sensor/call issue.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ggestions/15994-proximity-sensor-problem.html

Thanks for the update! I had a wierd problem where my shortcuts wouldn't launch when I uninstalled ATK, weird enough as soon as I installed it and used it to clear memory it was fine again. I'm going to uninstall it to see if it changes anything. I haven't really been using it so might as well uninstall it.
keep everyone updated this is good to know.

Things like this can save people a lot of headaches : )

Thanks JonKyu

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
]keep everyone updated this is good to know.

Things like this can save people a lot of headaches : )

Thanks JonKyu

Seems fine now!!! I can finally get rid of it, I was seriously starting to think that ATK somehow coded itself to make the user think it was needed or something to prevent it from being uninstalled!!! lol

Footballjim715

Reaction score
Don't use app killer.. Hmmmmmm

1. Apps could possibly use battery life... (Why would I want to let that happen?)

2. Battery Life seems to be a big thing....

3. I don't use my phone for 45min.. And previously used App Killer to disable multiple items.. I come back.. I have things like Alarm Clock and others that have NO business being opened much less running... I kill them.. Jump from 65 to 104mb of memory..

4. Please tell me how killing UNEEDED items is a waste...lol
o i know ill use the app killer kill all the apps not use the phone then just for the heck ill reopen the app killer and like 5 things are running like alarm clock and stuff im like why the heck is this running??? lol

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bull Crap!
Who is this guy! Yes Android is an intelligent Platform but Like all other systems apps do run in the background and do things. If you run... Papi jump and say submit score and before it's done loading the webpage it will run in the background. If you constantly make multiple tabs in your browser the system will slow down. Try it with your computer. Load up a real 3d game and then minimize it right when its open wait 1 minute then go to your game. you will find it has loaded. unless you will use an app constantly you should kill it.
You speed your processor and balance battery life.

That guy is a Moderator that has been around, and is a lot more familiar with the platform than you are. Yes there will occasionally need to kill an app here and there but in general the OP is referring to people, apparently like yourself that have become OCD about it. There are very few instances when you will need to kill and app and unless you happen to have one of those rare instances your battery life and memory will be fine. The majority of apps go into a 'suspended' state when they are placed in the background so they are not effecting the battery (but yes, there are a few poorly written programs that do NOT do this correctly). Battery life improves dramatically over the first week or two as the power management system gets a better 'feel' for the battery. My phone now easily makes it through my long 18+ hour days.

And unless you want to find your banned from the site I would suggest you use a bit more tact. ESPECIALLY when addressing a Moderator. They are very diligent on this site in that regards (lol, I found out the hard way).

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Advanced Task Manager (not Advanced Task Killer) has been on my phone since day one and never caused any problems. If you're looking for a once touch task killer that doesn't cause problems, give that one a try. It's in the top 5 paid apps on the Market.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use Task Panel and do not experience any problems either. If you're going to use one this is a good one.

I ran a poll on this very subject and people who used Task killers edged out the people who advised against. I say use your own judgement, but avoid Advanced Task Killer.

Blitz

Reaction score
Wow. Really? I've been extremely OCD about killing apps running in the background... This is really good to know, and will save me a lot of time on unnecessary app closing.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Just to go against what this thread is saying, I required the use of a task killer earlier this week. Usually I have no issues and don't use one, but I attempted to open a large PDF file. I attempted to open it through Astro, and it refused. I don't remember the exact error, but I tried to open it 3 times, and it failed each time. I used a task killer to kill the browser and free up a bunch of memory, and then the PDF opened fine.

I trust Android to handle things most of the time, but this time, it just wasn't taking care of it and I required a task killer.

kevsauce

Reaction score
I sort of have OCD with ATK - but perhaps I will let my itchy app-killer finger rest more often. I DO keep it installed however because sometimes apps die and stay in Limbo (like Slacker Radio) and won't start again until I kill the process in ATK.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Photoshop

My apologies if this has already been covered in this (or other) threads. A search didn't turn up a reference to the Photoshop app on this thread so I thought it might be useful to make note of it in the context of killing applications.

I agree completely that a task killer is seldom needed with the Droid (or other Android platform devices.) In some cases, however, a single application can use so much memory that it fails to operate. Killing and restarting the application frequently solves the problem.

I've encountered the problem several times while attempting to edit a photo using the (otherwise execellent) Photoshop application. It seems to occur when I've tried to edit several photos.

When I've encountered it, the best solution is to kill the application and start over. I presume that one doesn't need a "task killer" to accomplish this and that a "force close" will yield the same result. However, I find use of the ATK I have on my phone to be quicker and more convenient. I simply select the Photoshop app and kill it.

choptop

Reaction score
New to Droid

Have had my Droid for about 5 days now, Came from a flip front Motorola, this would be my 1st smart phone. Sales person installed advanced task killer on phone, means next to nothing, they probably arn't that aware of the workings of the phone. Have been on the forums, downloaded the manual, have downloaded some apps, fumbling along. I live in the sticks, 50 -60 miles from Minn/St.Paul, in a trailer,so essentially a tin can, hard on reception, I think my Droid is working extra hard to do it's job as far as gps, browser ect go. I think it would benifit me to shut some of these things down when I am not using it say bluetooth, gps ... and save battery power and turn them back on when I go to work in the cities. Will give it a try and keep track. LOVE the Droid, didn'y know what I was missing and love this thread. Thanks My battery usage reads Display 93% cell standby 3% android system 3% That seems high on the Display from what I have been reading.

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I live in a 1950's house made of plaster. It repels all signals. It does drain the battery when it's looking for a phone signal but I have wi-fi always on in the house and that SAVES battery power since it's not using 3g. It's also way faster.

As far as GPS it doesnt drain anything unless it's actively being used. Same with bluetooth.

Have had my Droid for about 5 days now, Came from a flip front Motorola, this would be my 1st smart phone. Sales person installed advanced task killer on phone, means next to nothing, they probably arn't that aware of the workings of the phone. Have been on the forums, downloaded the manual, have downloaded some apps, fumbling along. I live in the sticks, 50 -60 miles from Minn/St.Paul, in a trailer,so essentially a tin can, hard on reception, I think my Droid is working extra hard to do it's job as far as gps, browser ect go. I think it would benifit me to shut some of these things down when I am not using it say bluetooth, gps ... and save battery power and turn them back on when I go to work in the cities. Will give it a try and keep track. LOVE the Droid, didn'y know what I was missing and love this thread. Thanks My battery usage reads Display 93% cell standby 3% android system 3% That seems high on the Display from what I have been reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.