Please help: Left side of touch screen not working

artjr

Reaction score
Hello,
Well I woke up this morning finding for some reason my BACK button does not operate. It lights up, but when pushed, it does nothing. Also I noticed that on the same "left" side as the back button, the touch screen will not operate! All other areas on the touch screen operate, but only on left side and back button don't operate. I tried reflashing and rebooting and pulled battery, but nothing helps. Any Help I would appreciate!

I was running Ultimate Droid V8 when this happened. Also running a program to turn off the bottom LEDS, cant think of that program name.

Art

OP
artjr

artjr

Reaction score
I left this question in another Forum, guess I should have started here. Anyway, when I woke up this morning my back button and the left side of my touch screen is not working. What I mean by that is for example the side where the "phone" icon is, is not operating when pressed. And when I press my back button, nothing happenes. The back button is lite up, but when pressed nothing happenes. The bottom buttons operate fine and the other icons (ones not on left side) operate fine. Very weird. I tried a battery pull and a reboot and a reflash, nothing helps. I am running Ultimate Droid V8. I would appreciate any help.

Thank You
Art

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I left this question in another Forum, guess I should have started here. Anyway, when I woke up this morning my back button and the left side of my touch screen is not working. What I mean by that is for example the side where the "phone" icon is, is not operating when pressed. And when I press my back button, nothing happenes. The back button is lite up, but when pressed nothing happenes. The bottom buttons operate fine and the other icons (ones not on left side) operate fine. Very weird. I tried a battery pull and a reboot and a reflash, nothing helps. I am running Ultimate Droid V8. I would appreciate any help.

Thank You
Art

Is it the whole left side or just the back button? And does it still not work in lanscape?

OP
artjr

artjr

Reaction score
It is the back button. The other 3 buttons operate ok. When I open keyboard up, the back button still does not operate and left side of screen icons dont operate. Example, when I first signed into my google account, you know the part where you have to open the keyboard, I can NOT hit the "signin" icon cause it wont work. I have to hit the enter key pad to get it to sign in.

Thank You
Art

Is it the whole left side or just the back button? And does it still not work in lanscape?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
It is the back button. The other 3 buttons operate ok. When I open keyboard up, the back button still does not operate and left side of screen icons dont operate. Example, when I first signed into my google account, you know the part where you have to open the keyboard, I can NOT hit the "signin" icon cause it wont work. I have to hit the enter key pad to get it to sign in.

Thank You
Art

Another person posted of a touch screen malfunction. If reflashing or going back to stock does not work I suggest going to verizon. But do go back to stock(unrooted) before that of course.

OP
artjr

artjr

Reaction score
Do you know what the manufacture warrenty is on the droid? I had it over 30 days. Yes, I returned it to stock (unrooted) and still the back button does not operate. It sucks cause I am in NY and I purchased it in PA. I am here visiting my daughter and not sure if Verizon can help me here.

Thank You for your help though

Art

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

Another person posted of a touch screen malfunction. If reflashing or going back to stock does not work I suggest going to verizon. But do go back to stock(unrooted) before that of course.

hehe that would be me. I've been doing two things, some thinking and avoiding exchanging the phone out. So today, I'm going to get another motorola battery to see if I'm having an issue with that. Even if not, I can use the spare. Will keep you posted.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Do you know what the manufacture warrenty is on the droid? I had it over 30 days. Yes, I returned it to stock (unrooted) and still the back button does not operate. It sucks cause I am in NY and I purchased it in PA. I am here visiting my daughter and not sure if Verizon can help me here.

Thank You for your help though

Art

I believe the manufactures warranty is 1yr. Verizon should be able to help if they can. If not give motorola a call and see what they can do. If nothing else if you got insurance on it that should be covered, be out 90 bucks but better than nothing.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Hi Art - the exact same thing happened to me a back around February or so - ended up having Verizon send me a replacement. Also, I'll bet you'll find if you turn the phone sideways to Landscape mode, and bring up the keyboard, any time you press any key on the bottom row (space or whatever), you'll get the key above it in the text box.

However, just today I've noticed that the exact same thing is now happening on the replacement Droid, but now it's on the RIGHT side of the screen. I first noticed it because in Landscape mode, I couldn't swipe down the notification bar. Then, I noticed in Portrait mode, that any time I pressed any of the far right keys, I got the key immediately to its left. It's almost like the screen's calibration gets thrown off somehow.

I talked to Verizon for a while when it happened the first time, but never tried to call Motorola about it.

palpacino

Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this thread rather than creating a new one and say that the same thing just happened to me yesterday. It seems like the left side (when keyboard is put away and held straight up) is bad. Its the "bottom" of the screen when I'm holding it sideways and with the keyboard out and typing on the QWERTY.

I baby this phone. I truly do. Its my dang life. I have no idea how it could have gotten scratched enough to die on me. Is this a faulty touch screen design? Just curious as to how many others experience this.... especially since Wolfy says it happened to him with two different phones.

Mine has the tiniest of tiny scratches on it in the middle. Just my judgment by looking at it and being a tech savvy geek myself, it wouldn't seem like this little scratch should break it, but who knows I guess. These things can be finicky I assume?

Does anyone have an idea as far as buying some sort of solution that fixes scratches? Anyone wanna invent it if it doesn't exist? lol

In all seriousness, anyone's advice or .02 on this would help me as none of my buddies are geeks like me and I dunno who else to talk to about my Droid issues. :)

Here is a link to another thread where I was looking for an APP to help me test my screen:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/76809-calibration-app-anywhere.html

Last edited:

GDO7

Reaction score
I had the same problem on a rooted D1 on Pete's BB v0.4. My problem consisted of the phone having a mind of it's own, making phone calls when I unlocked it, the on screen keyboard would type things by itself, it would select apps by itself, and the list goes on.

This is after Clockwork blocked the OTA for 2.2 so it had nothing to do with the OTA for me. I have been running the same ROM for the past 2 months with no problems.

I installed a few different backups to no avail. I have just unrooted to 2.0.1 and will be updating to 2.2 shortly to see if the problem persists.

In the meantime, VZW is overnighting me a new D1 and it should be here tomorrow. It will be rooted shortly after arival because I love me some rooted goodness!

leeches

Reaction score
Bought my Droid the first day it was out and have never needed a replacement. Sadly I am having the same issue except mine was the home button and anywhere on the touchscreen in the third row. I pulled it out yesterday and my phone was going crazy doing stuff on its own. I un-rooted and now have 2.2 on it. Verizon is mailing me another one. It served me well and will always hold a special place with me. If there is fix or workaround would love to hear it.

onevision83

Reaction score
Temporary Solution

Same problem here! Temporary solution: Download "Button Savior" from the Android Market and you can at least have a permanent on screen back button, or whatever you need.

viscious

Reaction score
Same Issue

I am having the exact same symptoms as the original poster. A few days ago my droid updated with an OTA update from verizon. I don't know if this is related or not.

This phone is completely stock, not rooted, no custom Roms etc. Very few applications installed on it.

I am 4 months away from verizon allowing me to get upgrade pricing. Is there anything I can do other than buy a new phone at full price?

No phone insurance.

aaashley

Reaction score
Same thing here no back button, no use of left side of screen. i had to uninstall bejeweled bc i couldnt move game pieces if they were on left side. cant use the letter "A" in a text or turn on caps also cant put the number "1" in a message. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:icon_evil: