Phone Shutting off randomly??

bbtkd

Reaction score
Mine has done it three times since I got the phone on 9/8. Those that get it more often may be unknowingly running something that aggravates or triggers the problem. For those having it happen frequently, it would be interesting to try rebooting more often to see if this reduces occurrences. I can live with it until the patch comes out.

bbtkd

Reaction score
If it were a software problem wouldn't that affect all the Bionics and not just a few?

No. It may depend on some other trigger such as specific apps or usage. Likelihood could increase with the frequency of certain events, or length of time between reboots.

TeeX

Reaction score
you guys/gals know about this thread (https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/472254?tstart=0#472254), right? you should add your comments there too so Moto knows what's going on...

thanks for that link!

fwiw, I bought my Bionic on release day, and have had this happen only twice. Two too many times, but it's not a huge deal. Just wonder what's triggered it. Both times it's been in my back pocket, then I take it out and it needs a battery pull to reboot.

I've wondered if it was the little feature of "In-Pocket Detection", that I had checked in the Settings> Display> In Pocket Detection.

I've unchecked it, and haven't had it happen since. It may not be related, it might be...

JoDroid

Reaction score
I've wondered if it was the little feature of "In-Pocket Detection", that I had checked in the Settings> Display> In Pocket Detection.

I've unchecked it, and haven't had it happen since. It may not be related, it might be...

I didn't have it in a pocket, mine was just out on the table both times that it has happened.

TeeX

Reaction score
I didn't have it in a pocket, mine was just out on the table both times that it has happened.

out of curiosity, do you have that "in pocket detection" feature checked in your settings?

J5311

Reaction score
well mine has done this a few times. Until now.

Now it doesn't turn on. Congrats. I bought a brick!

after multiple battery pulls i left it in for a few mins and noticed that where the processor is its work..... wtf motorola?

Aviedo

Reaction score
Mine had the same issue I used the 14 day worry free and exchanged it an no issues. I contacted VZN as well and they had 1 other complaint they stated.

There is a lot more than 1 other complaint. I returned mine because of this problem, it froze up on me twice and with only 14 days to make a decision I decided to return the phone and wait for a fix. There are more than 300 posts about this problem here https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/57568?tstart=0 Please share your experiences with the support forums at motorola so that they can continue to compile information to identify the problem and come up with a fix.

VZW_CS

Reaction score
Ok, mine just froze on the black screen, and I had to do a battery pull. Battery is well over 50%. Here we go again with another great device with software issues. Thanks VZW and MOTO, came from the Droid X2 and all of its problems, thinking I was out of the woods.

Hi kjak,

The issue outlined on your post may be caused by third party application conflicts. Try uninstalling the most recent third party applications and see if that resolve the issue. You can also run your phone in Safe Mode (see link below for instructions).

Safe mode is a method that allows the device to run without non-essential applications. This is beneficial for troubleshooting 3rd party applications.

Safe Mode - Motorola DROID Bionic XT875

For further assistance please contact us on Twitter @VZWSupport Monday to Friday 7am - 10pm and Saturday 7am - 4pm CST.

You can also call us at 1-800-922-0204 for immediate assistance from 6am to 11pm CST any day of the week including Sunday. Please have your phone fully charged and available for troubleshooting when you call us.

VZW_CS

cbrmike

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that VZW is aware of this also and ready to help. If this issue is not resolved with a software update and a new phone is the fix then we should not need to send them off out of the 14 day exchange.

laugreg

Reaction score
I had the Bionic since it was released. This shut down has happened twice so far. I hope it's a software issue. The only way to get it working was to pull the battery out.

AmberM89

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice today.. however i also had an issue 3 days after i purchased it (which was the morning it was released) i had a problem where i plugged in the charger but it wouldn't charge it didn't even register that it was plugged in. I tried my boyfriends charger too but it still didn't work. I then did a battery pull and it worked fine. Also, my boyfriend and i were the first 2 people in the store to buy them that morning and while he was registering for gmail it just shut off. The sales associate couldn't get it to turn on (which now that i think about, i dont know if he tried a battery pull, but i figure he probably did) and deemed it DOA. Now that it's shut off on me twice today i called my local verizon and got an automated service that sent me to the technical support center where i talked to a guy that asked me a couple of questions (any new apps, new updates, if my battery wasn't just dead etc.) He then said that i had 2 choices, to gave them send me a used phone or wait to see if it happens again. I decided to wait and told him i was basically calling to see if this is a common problem with this phone seeing as its new and may have bugs, he said that he wasn't aware of this being a common issue and then thats when i found this forum.

laugreg

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice today.. however i also had an issue 3 days after i purchased it (which was the morning it was released) i had a problem where i plugged in the charger but it wouldn't charge it didn't even register that it was plugged in. I tried my boyfriends charger too but it still didn't work. I then did a battery pull and it worked fine. Also, my boyfriend and i were the first 2 people in the store to buy them that morning and while he was registering for gmail it just shut off. The sales associate couldn't get it to turn on (which now that i think about, i dont know if he tried a battery pull, but i figure he probably did) and deemed it DOA. Now that it's shut off on me twice today i called my local verizon and got an automated service that sent me to the technical support center where i talked to a guy that asked me a couple of questions (any new apps, new updates, if my battery wasn't just dead etc.) He then said that i had 2 choices, to gave them send me a used phone or wait to see if it happens again. I decided to wait and told him i was basically calling to see if this is a common problem with this phone seeing as its new and may have bugs, he said that he wasn't aware of this being a common issue and then thats when i found this forum.

I had the phone for about 2 weeks with no issue. The shut down just started happening. I'm in the process of removing apps to see if one of them is causing this problem. I'm hoping it's a software issue.