Phone Shutting off randomly??

Infiniti87

Reaction score
I've tried tons of tests and done alot of things to get my Bionic to replicate the shutdowns. I'm lucky as its only happened to me twice though the first two days I had it. Haven't had a problem since.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

JoDroid

Reaction score
Just had this happen to me today. I was in a meeting, battery at 65%... just shut off for no apparent reason. Couldn't get it turned on so I pulled the battery and then I was able to turn it on. Do you think the batteries are bad?

Slave_One

Reaction score
Just had this happen to me today. I was in a meeting, battery at 65%... just shut off for no apparent reason. Couldn't get it turned on so I pulled the battery and then I was able to turn it on. Do you think the batteries are bad?

I personally don't think it's the batteries...

I haven't had a chance to verify as it's only happened once to me so far and it was instinct to pop the battery, but I've heard others state that they still got audible and LED notifications.
And again, haven't verified, but my buddy at work said that when it happened the one time to him, it almost seemed like a backlight issue because with a flashlight he could see the contents of the screen.

EDIT: I'm of course referring to the wake from sleep issue, not resetting during use type issues.

AntsMarching81

Reaction score
Had this happen to me last night. Went to bed and the battery was at 50%. Woke up this morning to a black screen but the LED notification light was blinking. I had to pull the battery to get it to wake up. Is this something I should exchange my phone out for? Only happened once so far...

kjak

Reaction score
After almost a week of not being able to look at pictures in my gallery without this thing rebooting, I did a factory reset. Now I have the phone stock only, no other apps installed, and low and behold the SOB STILL REBOOTS! EVERYTIME I LOOK AT MY PICTURES IN GALLERY. MOTOROLA CAN KISS MY DICK.

kjak

Reaction score
I'm done giving these a**holes benefit of the doubt, come on! Seriously how can you produce something with such buggy software, after you had to put it on hold to make it better? It all comes down to crappy software, I struggled through my Droid X2 that left a bad taste in my mouth, and now this. Very frustrated to say the least, and I know Verizon is only going to give me another device that will do the same. Im probably going to get my money back, and buy another 4g device.

Natey2

Reaction score
Wow! Phone shutting off is worse than phone rebooting unexpectedly. If phone turns off, you won't be able to receive calls, which is why we carry a cell phone!

If many phones turn off, it will save the Carrier the burden of having to carry the calls; everything will get redirected to their voicemail system, and the cell towers will be more free to service calls for people whose phones are turned ON.

I have reason to believe that some Carriers in the past have sent my calls directly to voicemail when their circuits were busy.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

JoDroid

Reaction score
I guess I will take mine back to Verizon on Monday to see what they have to say about it, but if it is happening to quite a few of the Bionic phones I'm not sure getting another one will solve the problem. I really like the Bionic but not knowing when it will just shut off is a problem. I hope Verizon or Motorola figure this out soon and that they do something about it.

dkelly701

Reaction score
Took my phone back to Verizon today for this issue. The guy said that he got an email a few days ago and Motorola is aware of the problem. He told me it was a software issue and the fix is scheduled for around the 1st of November. Since I also have the whine issue when playing media, I asked if I could switch out the phone to see if another one would be better and he said no problem. Take the update information for what it is worth.

jakoviac

Reaction score
I had that same issue too. I tried figuring out what caused it to go into what I call it's coma but didn't have any luck. At first I thought it might be an app so I did a factory data reset, then it just did it more frequently. Eventually I came to the conclusion that it was just a lemon and swapped it for another new one.

I've had this one since the 14th now and it seems to be better, although I have had it happen once. I'm hoping that was just a fluke and I've got a good one now.

I would suggest to anyone that's having this issue frequently to get it replaced by Verizon. Don't wait to long to bring it back either, they'll probably have you do some troubleshooting first and have you bring it back in if it continues to do it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JimJ

Reaction score
shutting off randomly

Mine did exactly the same thing, a half dozen times. A battery pull was the only solution. Took it back after 12 days.

cbrmike

Reaction score
I picked up my Bionic on the 11th and had it happen on the 13th and then again today, both times a battery pull was the only cure. I sure hope this is a software issue that can be resolved with an update. I really like this phone but now I'm not so sure if I should have waited for a month or so, by then I could have saved 100 bucks and have a bug free phone. I think we early adopters should get a rebate for being guinea pigs .

JoDroid

Reaction score
I picked up my Bionic on the 11th and had it happen on the 13th and then again today, both times a battery pull was the only cure. I sure hope this is a software issue that can be resolved with an update. I really like this phone but now I'm not so sure if I should have waited for a month or so, by then I could have saved 100 bucks and have a bug free phone. I think we early adopters should get a rebate for being guinea pigs .

I agree. It took so long for Motorola/Verizon to come out with the Bionic you would have thought they could have tested the phone more. I am taking my phone back tomorrow, will see what Verizon has to say about it.

I am going to have to 'curb my appetite' for a new phone so fast in the future :wink:

deborah3756

Reaction score
I had this problem. I stopped using live wall paper and uninstalled the dictionary app I had downloaded. That said check, apps downloaded, they may be the problem.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

JoDroid

Reaction score
Took my phone back to Verizon today for this issue. The guy said that he got an email a few days ago and Motorola is aware of the problem. He told me it was a software issue and the fix is scheduled for around the 1st of November. Since I also have the whine issue when playing media, I asked if I could switch out the phone to see if another one would be better and he said no problem. Take the update information for what it is worth.

If it were a software problem wouldn't that affect all the Bionics and not just a few?