My Droid shut off on me today.......

Droyd

Reaction score
I went to check to see if I had any messages on the Droid today.......and nothing. It would not come to life. Tried to hold down the power button to get it to turn on, thinking it somehow got powered off, and still nothing. Dead as a door nail. I pulled the battery out, put it back in and tried to power it up, and it came on. Showed I had 90% battery life left. WTF??? Any ideas, or has anyone else experienced this?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not with a Droid I haven't but I sure did with a blackberry. It sounds to me liked it crashed and you did the right thing by doing a battery pull. I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening. If it does it probably is an app that's not playing nice. Then do a factory reset and add your apps one at a time and see if you can find the trouble maker.

jets20

Reaction score
Freaky. Mine did that today also. Right around 11:15 am.

Jason

Reaction score
Same thing happen to me as well. I left it untouched and it was off and wouldn't turn on and I did the same and it worked also

raven1911

Reaction score
I have heard of this and it has happened to me. Happened 3x in one day to me, then about a week or two later and hasn't happened since. Weird. The battery pull is always the fix. Not sure why this is happening but I think it will be addressed in the next update.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have heard of this and it has happened to me. Happened 3x in one day to me, then about a week or two later and hasn't happened since. Weird. The battery pull is always the fix. Not sure why this is happening but I think it will be addressed in the next update.

I'm quite sure of why it happens and since the majority of people do not have an issue like this I wouldnt count on it being addressed on the next update.

verakkr

Reaction score
It's happened to mine a few times as well, but not often enough for me to throw a caution flag in the air. And as far as I know, this is not a known issue, and I've not had any customers come in with it either... could just be one of those things.

jen_005

Reaction score
I'm thinking it's probably an app issue. I downloaded a bunch yesterday and my phone has blacked out twice since then. It only happens when I'm messing around on it, but that might just be coincidence.

I was considering swapping it at Verizon, but I haven't tried uninstalling the apps to see if it helps...

raven1911

Reaction score
if i did a factory hard reset, will i lose all my contacts

You will lose any apps you haven't backed up. I wouldn't do a hard reset, but just remove apps you recently added that might be causing the shutdown. You lose everything in a hard reset so think about it before you do it.
Your contacts will be pulled from your gmail acct. Just make sure to back them up there before resetting, then you can sync it after the reset and they will all appear.

lgsdds

Reaction score
Droid shut down

I got my Droid the first day of issue and it had this problem on and off for the first three weeks of use, being cured only via reboot with the battery removal. I talked to a Verizon tech and was told the safest thing was to go back and get a new phone since it was under a month old. Long story short, the new phone has never shut down. I truly think some early phones had an issue.

steve13

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice since I've had my droid, I got mine a week after release. This morning was just the second time but I haven't downloaded any apps in like a week, so I don't know if that really is the issue. Who knows.

raven1911

Reaction score
I got my Droid the first day of issue and it had this problem on and off for the first three weeks of use, being cured only via reboot with the battery removal. I talked to a Verizon tech and was told the safest thing was to go back and get a new phone since it was under a month old. Long story short, the new phone has never shut down. I truly think some early phones had an issue.

Keep in mind this would be a warranty issue on the phone and not a 30 day thing through VZW. The warranty for the phone is 1 year. They give you the 30 days to decide if you like the phone and if not, they will take the phone back (minus a small $35 fee) and you can get a different phone.

lgsdds

Reaction score
That is certainly true, but after 30 days I believe you have to send your phone in for repair, while I just got a new phone on the spot with no down time for me.