My phone bricked itself - rest ideas?

paramax55

Reaction score
My phone bricked itself yesterday. It really sucked because it was kicking @$$! Quadrant score 2483, rock solid 4G, webtop2SD, 2Gig swap partition, 10Gig partition for /osh... Anyhoo, I got a text, pressed the power button, the screen came on, I tried to put in my PIN to unlock it, no response from the touch screen, then it powered off and that's all she wrote.

I tried pulling the battery, up-down volume buttons with the power button, power button with the battery pulled, putting it under a heat pack for an hour (no water damage btw), then I pulled it apart and shorted the internal memory battery for 10 seconds... all to no avail. Anybody else have any other ideas to try?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
may try a fastboot cable if you have one.. may be a battery issue..

OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
I don't know what a fastboot cable is, but I've tried 3 different batteries and the original battery works in my spare phone.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
fastboot cable or factory cable is a cable that allows the phone to run off it in case of dead battery . you can find them on ebay for 4 or 5 bucks . sorry but i dont have any more ideas.

OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
All I've used is the data cable with a plug-in charger, or with the computer, or a lapdock. Or, if it's really dead, I just swap the battery with one that's been charged externally.

djembeman

Reaction score
I'd assume you are rooted? I was rooted on my Bionic and then it bricked itself one day. I had to flash an SBF using RSD Lite and then just decided to keep it stock and got to be a "Tester" for Motorola on the last update that it got. I think mine was boot looping though. I can't remember, but I've had no problems with that phone ever since I just went back to stock.

OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
LOL. It has to power up before you can flash it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, it's probably a hardware issue, then. As much as we don't like to think about it, just like all other electronics, these thing can and will die without warning sometimes.

OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
I've already ordered another phone, so it's not a gigantic deal. I just wanted to try to reset it if it could be done. I'd like to get some notes and stuff back out of it. I figure the thing shouldn't be completely dead since it did try to come up, then went through a self power-down. It recognized that something was wrong and shut down in an organized way.