Bionic bricked itself (black screen of death)?

kallos

Reaction score
I was using my Bionic today and noticed the notification bar updating my apps. During mid text, my bionic goes blank. I'm not exactly sure what happened but the result is a black screen where none of my buttons seem to respond. I can't turn the screen on with the buttons (only off). However, if someone texts me, it lights up and I'm able to text back. I can also turn the screen on by inserting the power cable to the phone. When it lights up, it gives me the unlock screen with a black background. Now I just see a black background with no unlock screen. I am however able to see my notification bar on top. When I battery pull reset it, it takes a long time to boot up and then resumes to this black screen of nothing! At first I thought it was bricked, but after a few tries, it got past the boot screen. One time, it showed an error message about Eclipse Launcher not responding or something like that. It seems like my GUI got corrupted somehow. Can anyone help me fix this?

I am using a Droid Bionic, Gingerbread (3?) Eclipse ROM.

Things I've tried:
Battery Pull Reset
Cleared Cache following a sites instruction

OP
K

kallos

Reaction score
Factory reset means I lose all my data right? I have not tried it. That will be my last resort. I want to see if there are any options before that. I'm usually pretty careful with my phone too. It sucks how it happened randomly.

OP
K

kallos

Reaction score
ICS it is. Any guides on how to upgrade to ICS (From GB, or do I need to go back to stock?)? I'll do a search myself too.

mattjenn

Reaction score
Fxz to ICS you will lose data but it's easy that way. I don't have link handy but I got all files I needed off droid forums

OP
K

kallos

Reaction score
Finally did factory reset and phone is back with no data! Solved. Thanks.