Phone Lag

pctdavis

Reaction score
Ok, let me preface this by saying,I like this phone. Never for to experience it without jellybean.

However, I spent a lot of money on this phone so I expect it to be better than my thunderbolt. I have the same apps running on my wife's RAZR M and that phone is crisp. This phone develops tremendous lag when going screen to screen. Its very choppy and not smooth and crisp at all. Is this strictly memory issue? Actually, once I'm in an app, its pretty nice, but the main UI is terrible!

I'm 1/2 tempted to go get a DNA and would have if not for the battery life (my #1 spec requirement).

Anyone else having lag problems?

Red meat is not bad for you. Green fuzzy meat is bad for you!

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
I don't experience any lag on my HD when transitioning from home screen to home screen. The only time I experience lag is after the phone has been on for a few days without a reboot. So, I reboot, clear cache and I'm good to go. Just like a computer, a phone should be rebooted every couple of days to ensure the only processes running are necessary. I'd do a cache wipe, reboot, then try again. Also... have you disabled all of the software that you don't use (VZ Navigator, Color, MC3, some racing thing, etc)?

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Yes, I have found a reboot makes it better, but I've never had to do that on other phones. I guess I expect more from this phone.

I've tried to disable all apps (hope I did it right) and even played with developer mode. Every time I got to home screen there is a 2 second delay until the "circles widget" draws. Something that's supposed to be a feature of the phone should not cause issues.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
For example, I was able to get a screenshot. I exited an app and then 2 second later. View attachment 59740 uploadfromtaptalk1357313520217.jpg

pksopp

Reaction score
Ok, let me preface this by saying,I like this phone. Never for to experience it without jellybean.

Not sure what this means. You got it with Jelly Bean or you haven't upgraded or what?

General consensus here is an FDR is essential for smooth operation, either before or after the upgrade to 4.1. I would start there - the device should be near flawless when it's back to stock. If that proves true, you've likely got an app or 2 or 20 that are resource hogs.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Not sure what this means. You got it with Jelly Bean or you haven't upgraded or what?

General consensus here is an FDR is essential for smooth operation, either before or after the upgrade to 4.1. I would start there - the device should be near flawless when it's back to stock. If that proves true, you've likely got an app or 2 or 20 that are resource hogs.

When I bought the phone, it upgraded immediately to Jellybean. Did a factory reset the day after I bought it with Jellybean installed. I don't know how it operated pre-jellybean. That's what I meant to say.

pksopp

Reaction score
When I bought the phone, it upgraded immediately to Jellybean. Did a factory reset the day after I bought it with Jellybean installed. I don't know how it operated pre-jellybean. That's what I meant to say.

So has it been this way from day 1, before you installed anything? If so, get a replacement from Verizon.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
So has it been this way from day 1, before you installed anything? If so, get a replacement from Verizon.

Well, the frustrating part is that this problem does not happen all the time. Today after 3 hours of this nonsense, it suddenly stopped doing it (screen shord above were 15 minutes after a reboot). It must be a rogue app.

Is it possible something with 3G/4G switching in the background could cause an issue? I'm on wireless but since I have 3G shown (was on fringe of 4G earlier), the problem went away.

pksopp

Reaction score
Well, the frustrating part is that this problem does not happen all the time. Today after 3 hours of this nonsense, it suddenly stopped doing it (screen shord above were 15 minutes after a reboot). It must be a rogue app.

Is it possible something with 3G/4G switching in the background could cause an issue? I'm on wireless but since I have 3G shown (was on fringe of 4G earlier), the problem went away.

If it's constantly trying to find a signal, maybe. A good test would be to flip it into airplane mode if the issue pops up again, see what happens.
Not sure when you got the RMHD, but some have said on here that things like fluidity and batt life improve naturally after a few days.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Well,I guess all I have to do is complain about it. 3 hours of aggravation today and out of the blue it's working great. Stupid phone....haha.

Thanks for your responses.

lkevinl

Reaction score
Yes, my phone is lagging too. VERY disappointed. Got it on 12/28. Activated phone, apps began restoring. Rooted the phone, ran root saver, then OTA'd to JB and restored root. The problem with factory reset is that you guarantee that your phone will seem good for a while but it will inevitably bog down again when your apps restore. I want to avoid the hassle of a FDR only for the issue to come back again. The phone shouldn't lag before or after an OTA and I shouldn't have to reboot it nightly even though that is easy enough to do.

I just came from my Droid Bionic on ICS and that thing was running great, but I had to use the extended battery and set up AutomateIt to reboot each night. This new phone should blow that one away. I'm experiencing:

1. Home Screen slow redraw, sluggishness
2. The home screen management screen is always slow to load and fade away
3. Keyboard is laggy in apps. No way this should happen.

If my only recourse is to FDR now and wipe cache, I'll do it, but I don't expect great results. Anyone else who can confirm a difference after running for at least a week before and a week after doing the FDR and wipe?

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Yes, my phone is lagging too. VERY disappointed. Got it on 12/28. Activated phone, apps began restoring. Rooted the phone, ran root saver, then OTA'd to JB and restored root. The problem with factory reset is that you guarantee that your phone will seem good for a while but it will inevitably bog down again when your apps restore. I want to avoid the hassle of a FDR only for the issue to come back again. The phone shouldn't lag before or after an OTA and I shouldn't have to reboot it nightly even though that is easy enough to do.

I just came from my Droid Bionic on ICS and that thing was running great, but I had to use the extended battery and set up AutomateIt to reboot each night. This new phone should blow that one away. I'm experiencing:

1. Home Screen slow redraw, sluggishness
2. The home screen management screen is always slow to load and fade away
3. Keyboard is laggy in apps. No way this should happen.

If my only recourse is to FDR now and wipe cache, I'll do it, but I don't expect great results. Anyone else who can confirm a difference after running for at least a week before and a week after doing the FDR and wipe?

I did notice a difference after doing a factory reset. However, like this morning, the problem comes and goes. It was terrible this morning but has been great all day since. I didn't change my usage much. Same apps, same button presses.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
How do I clear cache?

Turn the phone off. Hold volume up + volume down + power until you see a black screen with a white menu. Be quick about it and use volume down to scroll to recovery. Press volume up to select it. At the dead android screen hold volume down and press volume up once to enter recovery. (This is for jelly bean, for ICS you just press volume up + volume down together once.) In this screen navigate with volume keys and select with power. Wipe cache partition then reboot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2