Galaxy S3 Life Cycle

pctdavis

Reaction score
Okay, so I jumped in the thunderbolt craze on day 1. Has been a solid phone and I'm still on the legacy unlimited data plan. I had no intention of upgrading but recent deals have peaked my interest.

Question 1) how long will this phone still be top notch? Anyone know a time frame for the next best thing?
Question 2) anyone come from a thunderbolt? How is the reception compared to a HTC phone?

This is how they get me. I like the S3 but is it that significant of an upgrade over a thunderbolt?

Thanks.

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

Caesars

Reaction score
I can't offer much info, however just the screen alone (bought it for my mom) would probably make it > thunderbolt. It was also 96cents at samsclub hehe.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Yes, I found about that special just a little too late. Thought came to me to get my wife a data plan now too since I would have to give up unlimited data anyways. I would want to get 2 S3 phones then so looking for the deals. But then I'm also reluctant to sign a 2 year deal when a phone is toward the end of its life cycle which I think the S3 may be nearing.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got the Thunderbolt on day 1 myself. I was struggling with the fact I'd be giving up my unlimited data too. I looked at my prior usages and they were between 2-3 GB. Since I was unlimited I didn't really get too concerned about turning on wifi. So, I upgraded to the S3 about a month ago, and it's a huge upgrade compared to the TB, I love it and I think the shelf life is going to be much longer than us who endured the TB fiasco. I'm coming up to the end of my second billing cycle and since I'm more concerned about my data usage, I can say I've easily stayed under 2 GB both times. For me, I use a program called Timeriffic, which I started using back in the OG Droid days. Since my life follows approximately the same schedule, sleep, work, weekends, etc. I have a different setting for each thing. For example I leave for work at 9:00 a.m. Monday - Friday, so at 9:00 a.m. I disable wifi. At 6:10 pm Monday through Friday I have Timeriffic set to turn on wifi and other things. It stays on until the next time it turns to 9:00 a.m. Hey, it works great and I don't have to constantly worry about if I have wifi turned on or not. On the unlimited data plan on my line, it was $29.99, the 2 GB plan is $30.00 - one penny more. If I would need to bump up to the next data plan during the bill cycle, I'll be able to backdate the 4 GB planfor $20 more.

Not sure you were so concerned about the losing unlimited data part, but I threw that in too. I think you'll be very happy with the S3 vs the TB, and the shelf life will be a lot longer, especially since the S3 out-sold the iPhone in the 3rd quarter. It's a very very popular phone.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Well, the thunderbolt fiasco has me gun shy. I'm hesitant to buy a new release because of pre-bug fixed operating systems plus I can save money when they have deals later on. Battery is another. I have the brick for my TB so when I travel I have no worries. Use the phone however I want.

Unlimited data is a concern, but with my new house, I'm on wireless anyways because data service sucks to begin with. I will have to see how these data plans shape up. I already give Verizon too much money every month.

The S3 is a huge phone. But now I see the Note II is global ready which would be nice. But that is super big.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, the thunderbolt fiasco has me gun shy. I'm hesitant to buy a new release because of pre-bug fixed operating systems plus I can save money when they have deals later on. Battery is another. I have the brick for my TB so when I travel I have no worries. Use the phone however I want.

Unlimited data is a concern, but with my new house, I'm on wireless anyways because data service sucks to begin with. I will have to see how these data plans shape up. I already give Verizon too much money every month.

The S3 is a huge phone. But now I see the Note II is global ready which would be nice. But that is super big.

The TB never sold or became nearly as popular as the S3. I don't know if my input helped you or not but that's my feedback from a former TB user.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
No, it wad very helpful. I was more thinking out load. :rolleyes: thanks.

TDevilsG

Reaction score
Okay, so I jumped in the thunderbolt craze on day 1. Has been a solid phone and I'm still on the legacy unlimited data plan. I had no intention of upgrading but recent deals have peaked my interest.

Question 1) how long will this phone still be top notch? Anyone know a time frame for the next best thing?
Question 2) anyone come from a thunderbolt? How is the reception compared to a HTC phone?

This is how they get me. I like the S3 but is it that significant of an upgrade over a thunderbolt?

Thanks.

It's a night and day difference vs the thunderbolt. The thunderbolt was the first Verizon 4G phone. They needed to work on the kinks on that one. The s3 is super slim and feels like a little tablet, it's very lightweight and slick. It's got a days worth of battery life and if you go the route of an extended battery, the hyperion battery life is incredible and will get you two full days worth easily. One of the biggest sells is the hd screen, it's incredible and is a league beyond any other imo. The os running is ice cream sandwich with jellybean rolling out over the next several weeks. As far as life cycle, I heard the s4 is coming out in a couple of months and I'm sure it's going to be good. If you have the patience then it's worthwhile to wait. But the s3 is good enough to purchase now with the comfort of knowing it won smart phone of the year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
It's a night and day difference vs the thunderbolt. The thunderbolt was the first Verizon 4G phone. They needed to work on the kinks on that one. The s3 is super slim and feels like a little tablet, it's very lightweight and slick. It's got a days worth of battery life and if you go the route of an extended battery, the hyperion battery life is incredible and will get you two full days worth easily. One of the biggest sells is the hd screen, it's incredible and is a league beyond any other imo. The os running is ice cream sandwich with jellybean rolling out over the next several weeks. As far as life cycle, I heard the s4 is coming out in a couple of months and I'm sure it's going to be good. If you have the patience then it's worthwhile to wait. But the s3 is good enough to purchase now with the comfort of knowing it won smart phone of the year.

I am assuming that the S3 is still greater than or equal to all these new Droid phones, correct? I'm not as up to date as I used to be on all of these android phones. It's getting harder and harder to keep track of them.

Peirceman

Reaction score
I am also a former Thunderbolt owner. The battery life alone is reason to upgrade. Sure, the brick will extend the life, but there is a reason they call it the brick. I also like the fact you have both massive internal and external storage. Makes things move very fast. And then there is the screen.....it's beautiful!

You will drive yourself crazy waiting for the next great phone. Release schedules are so fast, a new phone comes out every two months. Get the S3, you won't regret it.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
I am also a former Thunderbolt owner. The battery life alone is reason to upgrade. Sure, the brick will extend the life, but there is a reason they call it the brick. I also like the fact you have both massive internal and external storage. Makes things move very fast. And then there is the screen.....it's beautiful!

You will drive yourself crazy waiting for the next great phone. Release schedules are so fast, a new phone comes out every two months. Get the S3, you won't regret it.

I was expecting I would need to get a "brick" for any modern cell phone. Well, any HTC phone. Hope this is good as it sounds. Is the S2 just the smaller slightly older version?

msuperbauer

Reaction score
I came from the thunderbolt, well the tb fiasco had me ditch it for about 6 months because of all the issues, but I had it for a full year after I got it back. I will tell you this phone is NOTHING like the TB. This phone blows the TB out of the water in every single aspect. I even got a case with a kickstand (the ONLY thing I missed about my TB) . The weight is better, the feel in your hand is better, the battery isn't even in the same league, it's so much better and the O/UI (even on 4.1.1) and speed of the phone is redicilously awesome. The Thunderbolt was only a Verizon phone. The S3 is on all carriers and seems to have a lot more market saturation compared to the TB. I think this phone wil have a significantly longer "life cycle" there is no reason this phone won't have a similar life cycle to the iPhone.

TDevilsG

Reaction score
I was expecting I would need to get a "brick" for any modern cell phone. Well, any HTC phone. Hope this is good as it sounds. Is the S2 just the smaller slightly older version?

I was thinking the same thing with the extended battery, hence getting the hyperion off the bat. I won't rule out the idea of getting it because it still gets you a ridiculous amount of extra battery life, but the stock battery will get you a full days worth no problem.