Maxx HD from Thunderbolt?

pctdavis

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have the thunderbolt; its been working well. Got my upgrade and the Maxx HD looks tempting. Not as big as the S3 or Note II and huge battery (my fav selling point). So, is this phone anything special or just a nice android phone with big battery? Would welcome all opinions.

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

geoff5093

Reaction score
IMO It's just a nice android phone with a big battery. When compared to the DNA or Note 2, the MAXX HD has a worse looking screen, smaller screen (pro for some), larger bezel, on screen buttons which makes the display effectively 4.3" instead of 4.7", horrible camera, 1GB of RAM vs 2GB, dual core vs quad core, and currently only runs ICS.

The only real pro IMO is that it had a fantastic battery, durable, and had a micro HDMI port.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I have not held one yet, but looking at it online made me flash back to my OG Droid. If I'm going to spend $250-300 and lock into another contract, I want to find that "significant" upgrade to a thunderbolt. Thanks

markymark

Reaction score
IMO the maxx hd is the best android phone on the market right now, all things considered. With the possible exception of the camera, which I couldn't care less about. I rarely if ever use it.

The screen on the maxx is gorgeous. 1080p is nothing but a marketing gimmick and a battery hog. WIth the naked eye you can't tell the difference. 11g of usable storage on the DNA? It's a joke. 1g of ram vs 2g, again you won't notice the difference. The DNA needs the extra horsepower to run Sense. And that 2020 mah battery will be eaten up in a hurry with that big screen.

Get the Maxx. You won't be sorry.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Yea, HTC can't get of their own way. Something so good, and then put physical limits onto it. Ahhhhh!
I like a good camera, I'll need to see how "bad" it is. I love the camera on my thunderbolt so I have a good reference level.

2001400ex

Reaction score
I came from the tbolt and chose the maxx hd. As already said, the specs aren't there compared to the others, but since it is basically stock android, it seems to run as quick as the others. I don't think you need quad core or 2gb ram yet with stock.

Yes the DNA screen is better for the most part, but I notice the maxx hd screen has brighter whites and darker blacks.

Since I felt that while on paper the DNA and note are better, the experience won't be any different. And you get the monster battery and sd slot. The note is to big so that was out.

Overall I am happy with my decision as not being tethered to a wall is nice. And the radio is stronger than the tbolt and from what I read the strongest of the 3.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
From what I have been reading, the radio is a feature like you say. I hope your right. I spend 25% of my year on job sites in limited reception areas. Anything worth worth than the thunderbolt does me no good. Thanks for the feedback, you guys are hitting on my key interest areas.

2001400ex

Reaction score
Ya I go to terrible reception areas frequently and am often in thick walled buildings. Where I have been the last month, the tbolt was in and out of reception in one room. But the max hd gets perfect connection. The bars are down to 1 or 2 like the tbolt but it connects just fine.

I haven't tested it yet in sketchy 3g areas yet, but will soon enough.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
How about widgets and stupid stuff like that? I think HTC may have spoiled me. I love widgets over basic icons.

Thoughts on screen size? I saw a S3 and it looked like a phone for people with bad eye sight. Resolution was the same, just enlarged.

robdec17

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. I have not held one yet, but looking at it online made me flash back to my OG Droid. If I'm going to spend $250-300 and lock into another contract, I want to find that "significant" upgrade to a thunderbolt. Thanks

I finally got rid of my thunderbolt for the maxx HD and I couldn't be happier. Only paid $149 after $50 giftcard from target. Batter life is awesome!! The best thing is to not listen to everyone here and just go to the store and see what feels best for you and see what phone fits your needs the best. For me this was a no brainer .. I love the feel of the phone in my hand, it's just the right size for me and feels very solid. I originally went out to get the S3 but that thing feels like a toy and way too much plastic. The DNA and Note II are way too big for me and I couldn't see using those things as an everyday phone.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
The best thing is to not listen to everyone here and just go to the store and see what feels best for you and see what phone fits your needs the best.

Haha. Yes, I agree. I plan to go to Verizon this weekend but that involves a wife and 2 young kids. Doing as much of my research ahead of time as possible. Had originally looked at S3 but the Maxx HD creaped its way into my radar.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Oh, and what have you guys been paying for this? Verizons online price seems awful high.

geoff5093

Reaction score
The screen on the maxx is gorgeous. 1080p is nothing but a marketing gimmick and a battery hog. WIth the naked eye you can't tell the difference. 11g of usable storage on the DNA? It's a joke. 1g of ram vs 2g, again you won't notice the difference. The DNA needs the extra horsepower to run Sense. And that 2020 mah battery will be eaten up in a hurry with that big screen.
I can easily see the difference, on the HD there is pretty obvious pixelation when you look at small text and any sharp edges on icons. I'm not saying it's a huge con having the screen on the HD, but the DNA is a noticeable improvement.

11GB of storage is horrible, I'll give you that. The 2020mAh battery also sucks, I couldn't get through a day without always watching the battery and without limiting my use.

I came from the tbolt and chose the maxx hd. As already said, the specs aren't there compared to the others, but since it is basically stock android, it seems to run as quick as the others. I don't think you need quad core or 2gb ram yet with stock.
That's true for now, but if you're looking for a phone that will last for a while the 1GB of RAM and dual core will become bottlenecks sooner than you know.

From what I have been reading, the radio is a feature like you say. I hope your right. I spend 25% of my year on job sites in limited reception areas. Anything worth worth than the thunderbolt does me no good. Thanks for the feedback, you guys are hitting on my key interest areas.
The reception on the DNA was fantastic, better than my Thunderbolt, better than my friends GS3, and better than my Note 2.

Oh, and what have you guys been paying for this? Verizons online price seems awful high.
Are you looking at retail prices or subsidized pricing? The online price is the same as the in-store price.

caddyg1

Reaction score
Having come from the tbolt, I couldn't wait to get rid of it! I always had a charger in my pocket and if it didn't crash, I would have to charge it at least twice a day. Had it not been for the trade-in value, I would have thrown it in the lake! So when the RAZR MAXX came out, I jumped on it and haven't looked back. I love the battery life and have not had any issues with the OS crashing like I did with the tbolt. I had an upgrade for my other line and now have the MAXX HD and was able to keep my unlimited data :p

The MAXX HD has a great feel to it unlike the S3. With the Circle Widget, I don't miss the HTC Sense at all, especially with Jelly Bean being pushed out in a few days. The best part for me is, the phone is only as good as long as you can use it. So if the battery dies, who cares about a quad core or 2gig :blink: I stream Pandora through my Avic on my way to and from work, every day, with BT, GPS and 4G on all the time. Moderate use throughout the day; I still have 90% battery life after 14 hours 47 minutes. That there is a no brainer for me :D

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
I still have 90% battery life after 14 hours 47 minutes. That there is a no brainer for me :D

Wow, with my brick extended battery that's insane. Even with my brick, I always have a charger in range. Maybe that's why its slowly dying. Over charging it.

In you opinion are the screen and camera equivalent or better?