Phone constantly entering "cool down mode" after maxx battery upgrade

BurnData

Reaction score
After months of having to charge my Original Razr 2-3 times a day I finally broke down and ordered the parts to do the upgrade to the Razr Maxx battery. Everything seemed to have gone smooth and I left the phone on my charger at work to charge the new battery and all was well until this afternoon. When I pulled the phone off of the charger and started using it I started getting "thermal protection" and screen dimming messages and then cool down mode started kicking in. I live in FL and I've never once had these messages even through the heat of the summer. Now I can't use the phone for more than a couple of minutes with out it shutting down. From what I have been reading most people who have had this problem can physically feel the phone getting hot but mine is completely cool to the touch. This is even worse than having a crappy battery. Anyone have any idea whats going on or how i can fix it?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I've never disassembled a razr, so I don't know if this is possible, but if one antennae was disconnected it could cause overheat due to bad signal. But that wouldn't explain it not feeling hot.

Sent from my XT912 running KOA resurrection CM10 jelly bean

OP
B

BurnData

Reaction score
I didn't notice anything that could have been disconnected but if it keeps this up i'm going to take it back apart tomorrow. I have also just noticed that it seems to be eating this new Razr Maxx battery at an extraordinary rate. Something on the order of 20+% of this new 3200mAh battery in less than 5 mins. Something has definitely gone awry.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
It's always a good idea to do a meter training on a new battery also. I'm not sure how the phone feels about having that new battery information without calibrating the meter

OP
B

BurnData

Reaction score
How do you do the meter training? I tried searching around for it and haven't come up with much. Of course I'm not sure that will have any effect on the thermal problem but it would be nice to know.

OP
B

BurnData

Reaction score
ok, of course right after a I post I find the info on it. I cant train the meter because I can't keep the phone turned on long enough to actually drain the battery. After it goes into cooldown mode and i wake it back up it says plug in your charger and shows zero battery and dies. When i plug in the charger and view the battery meter it shows fully charged. I'm starting to think i have a faulty battery.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I would contact the supplier and see if they will send you a new one

OP
B

BurnData

Reaction score
I swapped the battery back to the stock one and it is still doing all the same things. I guess somehow I screwed something up while swaping out the battery. I have no idea how, i have tons of experience with very sensitive electronics and was very careful to be grounded with a static dissipative wrist strap and ther is not much in the phone that you can get to when swapping out the battery but apparently i screwed myself up good. Now I have to fork out $100 for the replacement plan on top of the $100 i just dropped on the battery kit... awesome

joshxdroid

Reaction score
BurnData said:
I swapped the battery back to the stock one and it is still doing all the same things. I guess somehow I screwed something up while swaping out the battery. I have no idea how, i have tons of experience with very sensitive electronics and was very careful to be grounded with a static dissipative wrist strap and ther is not much in the phone that you can get to when swapping out the battery but apparently i screwed myself up good. Now I have to fork out $100 for the replacement plan on top of the $100 i just dropped on the battery kit... awesome

Well, good news is your battery kit should still be ok.

soonerlater

Reaction score
BurnData, did you find a solution? Or just decide to get a replacement?

I'm in the same boat. I just swapped the battery (and back and chassis) from my old Maxx (with a broken screen) to a non-Maxx. (It was cheaper to buy a non-Maxx on Craigslist than to buy a Maxx or get a screen replacement). Now I have this crazy thermal situation. Only mine never feels hot. I know what a 115° phone feels like, and mine feels like 100° at most, but the readings will go from 90° to 130° or 140° in less than a minute.

If you find a solution, please PM me.