Dim screen after upgrading to ICS - advice?

tnatnatna1

Reaction score
Hi friends! I was wondering if anyone else here has had this problem, or if you have any advice.

I just upgraded my phone (Razr Maxx) to ICS and now the screen is stuck in this weird dim mode. I've looked at the Settings--->Display-->Brightness settings, and I have Automatic Brightness disabled. When I try to adjust the brightness (i.e. move the slider) the screen brightens up to the correct amount, but then as soon as the phone falls asleep and I wake it up, it's back to being dim. It's almost like it's unable to wake up out of that dim screen mode after falling asleep.

I hope that make sense...I can clarify if my post wasn't clear enough. Any suggestions as to how to fix this? Is this a known bug? Thanks :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome to the droid forums... go into your apps tray, Widgets, power control, long press and drag it onto the screen somewhere... if you don't already have it out, now it has 3 on settings, half bright, full bright and auto.. signified with the"a" in the circle.. now.. if you set your screen brightness manually, and then toggle through the settings, it resets down to full dim.. its an ics issue. Unfortunately..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
T

tnatnatna1

Reaction score
Thank you SO much! This fixed the issue for me. Yay! Weirdly enough I couldn't find anyone else with the problem when I searched on Google, so I thought it might be just my phone that was acting up. Hopefully if someone else has this problem they'll see this thread and get the solution here. Thanks again!

Edit: Oh shoot, spoke too soon. As soon as my phone falls asleep and I wake it up, it's back to the dim screen again. Argh.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Reboot the device... hold volume down and power at the same time... until the phone shuts off.. then try it again :)

OP
T

tnatnatna1

Reaction score
Tried powering off and on again, repeated steps, and no change. Like before, the brightness is restored when I cycle through the settings (half, full, auto, none) using the Power Widget, but once the screen falls asleep, it goes back to that dim screen mode and won't "wake up" out of it unless I cycle through those power settings all over again. Cycling through those each time I wake up my phone is a work around, I guess, but not a permanent solution. Anyway, thank you 94lt1 for your help so far.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No that's what I mean... as soon as you go to full bright, or any other setting, unless you leave it at auto, or off and use your own setting that you manually put in... it will always go to full dim.. it sucks...

Last edited:
Reaction score
i too am having the same issues. but only on customs ROMs, and i mean ALL custom ROMs. stock is working fine. doesnt matter what setting i put the brightness, auto, 50%, 100%, it always reverts to the lowest setting when waking.

GPYoung

Reaction score
Settings
Display
Brightness
Uncheck "display power saver"
This will or should cause cessation of issue.
Thanks,
Geoff

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think what they're referring to is that the screen goes full dim unlike gb, it would go back to your manual setting.. which I miss... lol

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I use "notification toggle" which resides as a top bar in my status-notification drop down. The brightness toggle ranges from 10%, 25%, 50%, 100% and auto. My screen settings always are whatever I had it previously set on when I wake it up or reboot my phone. I do not use smart actions (actually have it disabled) but I wonder if that has an automatic setting to revert it back to the dimmest setting each time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
T

tnatnatna1

Reaction score
I use "notification toggle" which resides as a top bar in my status-notification drop down. The brightness toggle ranges from 10%, 25%, 50%, 100% and auto. My screen settings always are whatever I had it previously set on when I wake it up or reboot my phone. I do not use smart actions (actually have it disabled) but I wonder if that has an automatic setting to revert it back to the dimmest setting each time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

I've tried using this with no change. My screen still gets stuck in dim mode after it falls asleep. I also have already tried unchecking the power saver option in Display Settings. Ugh this is so frustrating. I assume this is a bug...

desertknit

Reaction score
"Display Brightness“ in the Market. It won't fix your bug, but it makes it easier to adjust your display brightness. Instead of toggling thru 4 or 5 settings, just touch the side of your screen to set brightness -- bottom for dim, half-way up for mid, top for as bright as it can get.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

tnatnatna1

Reaction score
Thank you desertknit, the Display Brightness app actually fixed my problem (at least so far). I had tried two other similar apps before (lux and Notification toggle). With Display Brightness though my phone stays bright even after being woken up.out of sleep! Woo!

kdavidb

Reaction score
full dim after wake

Settings
Display
Brightness
Uncheck "display power saver"
This will or should cause cessation of issue.
Thanks,
Geoff

i have the same issue. this solution appeared to work at one point but no joy. this behavior is not consistent but seems to occur at some point after a boot. phone is rooted but stock rom. new problem after ICS update. i have "setting profiles" adjusting screen brightness but that's functioning as expected. of note is the fact that the stock power widget displays where brightness SHOULD be when phone wakes, but it sits at full dim. very hard to fix in bright daylight.
tr
update: i said "reboot" but that was actually a power cycle. i rebooted using power key plus volume-down key as mentioned elsewhere in this thread and that is working longer now than yesterday. note that the phone takes a screenshot before the boot sequence.

update: problem returns after a couple hours. no joy.

Last edited:
OP
T

tnatnatna1

Reaction score
kdavidb, did you try the free Display Brightness app in the app store? That has fixed the problem for me.