Dim screen after upgrading to ICS - advice?

grimloktt

Reaction score
I, too, have this issue and it severely p!ss$s me off... Stock ROM--w/ root.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I use a toggle switch to set my screen brightness. The percent brightness (30% most of the time) stays at whatever I last had it set at, no matter what. I actually have all my toggle switches at the top of my notification drop down so it is always accessible using widgetzoid but there are several apps in play store that do the same thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

luckyguess

Reaction score
Solved

I had this exact same issue with my Razr MAXX with the same exact symptoms. I searched all over and not one person seemed to have the cure, so I suffered this problem for days. However, I was able to discover the fix on my own. No more dim when waking the screen up. I can't say for sure exactly which step fixed it but I will list what I did to solve the issue:

1. Power down your Razr.
2. Power up your Razr.
3. Hold down volume up + volume down buttons at dual core screen.
4. Keep holding all the way through animation screen.
5. This will put your phone into safe mode. You will know this because the words "safe mode" will be in the bottom left corner.

I don't know if the simple act of putting my phone into safe mode cured it but I noticed that my phone stayed bright when I put it to sleep and woke it at this point. However, by the fact that it functioned normally in safe mode, I figured the culprit might be one of the apps that start at boot in normal mode. Therefore, I went into settings -> apps -> and cleared the data caches of a couple apps that I felt were capable of altering the screen brightness. To be specific, "Light Flow" (an app I downloaded), and "Emergency Alerts".

I get a strong suspicion that of those two, Emergency Alerts may be the one that was screwing things up since I had it pop up a few times before my problem started. In any case, after I did this and rebooted my phone into normal mode, the problem was completely fixed. I hope this helps a few people out.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, thank you so much luckyguess and thank you for sharing this very valuable information. This issue has plagued some for quite some time.

And btw, welcome to the forums! Don't be a stranger!

grimloktt

Reaction score
Awesome! I just did as you directed and so far so good. I, too, have Light Flow.

What made you suspect those 2 apps?

luckyguess

Reaction score
Awesome! I just did as you directed and so far so good. I, too, have Light Flow.

What made you suspect those 2 apps?

I still don't know for sure if clearing the data for those apps contributed to the cure or if just going into safe mode was the cure. I just kinda went on gut feeling as far as choosing those 2 apps. To be honest, I'm betting the only step that matters in my instructions was safe mode but I figured I'd list everything I did just in case.

wellsjs

Reaction score
Hey luckyguess, thanks for the tip. I cleared the Light Flow cache, never went into safe mode, but rebooted and the problem is gone! I had just rooted by Razr Maxx and started having the issue. Thanks to google search and this forum, problem solved in short order! :icon_ lala:

grimloktt

Reaction score
I just started using Light Flow again and no issues. My theory is that perhaps I had the problem b/c I checked for Light Flow to control another LED that it found...other than primary?