phone call bug?

zubair75

Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion. I did change it to "always on" but it is still not very convenient to press the small button on top every time to turn the screen back on.

mclaughlingrc1

Reaction score
has happened to me as well and the other person cannot hear me and goes to another screen. and i cannot find a call waiting button if another call comes in..help

kcs32787

Reaction score
Same thing here. I have made many short phone calls and had not issue. It only happened after a call that lasted about 25 minutes.

yeah mine starts to glitch after about 15 minutes.

Inundated

Reaction score
Just had this for the first time today, after a 20 minute conversation with my father while I was in the supermarket.

Second call to him was under 5 minutes, no problem with the screen coming back.

sjharris101

Reaction score
Screen blanks when dialing - Here's why

Same thing. While dialing the screen blanks. I hear is this more of a problem for right handed people than left handed.

Look at the upper right hand corner of the Droid any you will see a small sensor window. Mine has a slight reddish tint. I understand that when this is placed against your ear the display will blank to conserve power. During normal use if you place your thumb over this sensor the screen will dim.

Problem is, for some of us right-handers, the is where we place our thumb right after dialing, or right after pulling the phone away from our ear. Try keeping your thumb away from the sensor.

Steve

BzB

Reaction score
haven't seen this on my droid but i use a bt earpiece for 90% of my calls and especially on long calls. has anyone experienced this issue while using bt? seems to only happen when you hold the phone to your face and the proximity sensors turn the screen off. sounds like a sw fix can resolve this.

redjr

Reaction score
I was just on a 15-minute call and this did not happen.

What is your screen time out set at?

I just did some testing with this at home and I found out that the screen just times out at whatever you have it set at, even while on a call. I would consider this a bug. I guess ill just have my screen time out set at never for now...
Just tap the power switch. That's what it's there for. To wake up the screen - even while on calls - and to put it to sleep. :)

redjr

Reaction score
...Look at the upper right hand corner of the Droid any you will see a small sensor window. Mine has a slight reddish tint. I understand that when this is placed against your ear the display will blank to conserve power. During normal use if you place your thumb over this sensor the screen will dim....Steve
Automatic Brightness must be enabled. Little checkbox. Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness.

redjr

Reaction score
...Just another of the infinate flaws with this phone.
Are you kidding?? It's been less than a week and it has 'infinate' flaws? This phone is leaps ahead of anything on the market and shows that Motorola still has some design and build quality prowess. And the screen is absolutely to die for. Large, clear, crisp text and graphics and bright. Kudos to Google and Motorola for a flagship product that others will soon want to imitate. This is the first phone I've ever owned that I actually enjoy using. But it's so much more than just a phone! With the market muscle of Google... it will only get better and more feature rich. With this platform, we'll see more and more apps. MS Zune could learn a lesson or two from Apple and Google with their Market Place apps, selection, and ease of downloading and installing.

alphabuild

Reaction score
so are most people holding out for a firmware update to fix this issue?

I really don't want to return it if its software related just to get another one with the same problem, which i heard has happened to others.

lauriep

Reaction score
Opposite problem

I have the opposite problem (may have this one too, but not yet). My phone occasionally doesn't go black while I am on a call, so I face dial something which effectively ends the call. This has happened several times.

jamsesh

Reaction score
This is being discussed in a couple different threads. I'm not sure if there is a way to consolidate them but here is another discussion.

After doing some experimenting, this is what I've found:

1) It never occurs inside or in darker environments. Covering/uncovering the sensor in the upper left corner makes the droid respond as expected.

2) It does not occur while on speaker phone. In this mode the screen goes blank after the user-specified screen time out and you have to hit the power button to turn it back on. Reading other posts/forums, this seems to be expected behavior.

3) Outside, sunny, bright environments are the real problem. The screen works fine, but as soon as I dial or answer a phone call the screen goes blank, even if I haven't held the handset up to my hear (the sensor never gets covered). Note though that this doesn't happen every time; I haven't been able to consistently recreate the blank screen issue yet. When it does occur, I have had some luck moving the screen around trying to get the sun shining directly at the sensor, but it's kind of a crap shoot.

4) Sliding out the keyboard causes the screen to come back on when the problem occurs.

On normal phone calls, it's not really a problem letting the other person hang up. The biggest issue is when leaving a voicemail or trying to check my voicemail. You can't end the message or enter your vmail password without sliding out the keyboard.

I hope that maybe narrows down the problem for some of you. Can you try it outside in full sun and see if you have similar results? Or maybe you get some ideas about where the problem lies so we can go about fixing it?

Cheers

brendanstl

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned this is not a flaw. All you have to do is press the power button to wake the phone up after a long call.

darreno1

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned this is not a flaw. All you have to do is press the power button to wake the phone up after a long call.

Agreed. And I'm sure this will be fixed. I've had this happen maybe once, and the first instinct was to the hit the power button which worked.