Outlook email pushed to Droid?

longhorn31

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question... I have a BB now and my company won't buy a BES license for me, so I use BIS to push Outlook email to my BB. Will the coming Moto Droid ((VZW) do this?

How about syncing calendars and contacts? BB's desktop manager is a pain....lots of duplicate calendar items and system errors.

I'm overdue for a new phone - currently have a BB Pearl.

J

JohnDroid

Android does support push email so I don't see a problem getting this to work with your Moto Droid.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Andriod fully supports exchange. It can sync emails and contacts and calenders from what i read. Unless you use a different emailing system. but either way push email is quite a basic function of a smart phone, if the droid didn't have it.. i would be super surprised.

BoilerUp

Reaction score
What if our company does not use Exchange. We use a mail system called Smarter Mail which is an IMAP connection. Will the push still work?

J

JohnDroid

What if our company does not use Exchange. We use a mail system called Smarter Mail which is an IMAP connection. Will the push still work?

The push shouldn't have anything to do with IMAP. You may have to forward mail to an external email address (like a Gmail) to get the Push features.

PalmEnvy

Reaction score
If I can extend this conversation.

What about outlook calendar and tasks. I do not use exchange at work and I would prefer not to sync with Google Calendar and tasks. Just because I have "big brother" paranoia issues.

I am coming from a Palm 755p and looking for some option where i can sync from my pc to the Droid via some software application?

Does anyone know if this will be possible?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of nitty gritty issues like that may not be able to be answered until we get the phone in our hands and try. I haven't heard anything on the reviews by anyone yet that didn't have exchange or was trying to do their gmail accounts.

mrpush

Reaction score
Exchange vs Outlook sync...

Hi,

We have some serious issues here. People (Verizon included) do not have a clue of what terminology to use concerning sync.

It appears that there are 2 different type of sync. EXCHANGE SYNC (active sync) and WIRELESS SYNC.

The latter DOES NOT REQUIRE EXCHANGE SERVER and only requires Outlook installed on a PC with the Wireless Sync software installed there as well.

ALL sync's happen WITHOUT EXCHANGE server.

Now, does droid give FULL EXCAHNGE SUPPORT?

If it does not support syncing TASKS and NOTES, IT DOES NOT FULLY SUPPORT EXCHANGE OR OUTLOOK PERIOD!

From all my research, the DROID DOES NOT sync notes. Not sure about tasks.

This is a HALF-BAKED effort if it's true. Makes me mad. Why would they not support ALL sync related data???

Just irresponsible.

Thanks!

MP

dean.collins

Reaction score
Andriod fully supports exchange. It can sync emails and contacts and calenders from what i read.

Just be aware that if you are using Exchange Activesync that pushes emails,contacts etc to your phone you HAVE to purchase the $44.99 plan and NOT the $29.99 data plan.

Cheers,
Dean

Donsell

Reaction score
Andriod fully supports exchange. It can sync emails and contacts and calenders from what i read.

Just be aware that if you are using Exchange Activesync that pushes emails,contacts etc to your phone you HAVE to purchase the $44.99 plan and NOT the $29.99 data plan.

Cheers,
Dean

Dean -

This has been clarified a number of times. You DO NOT need the more expensive plan if you're syncing with your company's Exchange server, only if you're using Verizon's Exchange service.

fegriffith

Reaction score
My situation is similar to the OP...work won't allow a personal Blackberry on their BES so I was getting my e-mail via BIS.

I had no issues getting the e-mail set up on the Blackberry, however I can not seem to get the exchange e-mail set up on the droid. I know what I was using for my user name and exchange server on the Blackberry. I'm stuck on domain. AND...when I called tech support they informed me that Android does not support OWA so if the exchange server I was using on the Blackberry was actually an OWA exchange server, then that sounds to me like I can't get anything work related on the droid.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I'm stuck.

Donsell

Reaction score
My situation is similar to the OP...work won't allow a personal Blackberry on their BES so I was getting my e-mail via BIS.

I had no issues getting the e-mail set up on the Blackberry, however I can not seem to get the exchange e-mail set up on the droid. I know what I was using for my user name and exchange server on the Blackberry. I'm stuck on domain. AND...when I called tech support they informed me that Android does not support OWA so if the exchange server I was using on the Blackberry was actually an OWA exchange server, then that sounds to me like I can't get anything work related on the droid.

This is what the manual says:

Enter your user name ([email protected]),
password, email address, and server details
including domain name and security type (server
address is the same URL you use to access your
company’s email using the Web on your computer).

Make sure the security settings are correct. Our server requires SSL

fegriffith

Reaction score

This is what the manual says:

Enter your user name ([email protected]),
password, email address, and server details
including domain name and security type (server
address is the same URL you use to access your
company’s email using the Web on your computer).

Make sure the security settings are correct. Our server requires SSL

Thank you for the quick reply. I think the domain is the issue. Is the domain usually just one word...or an actual address? Is it usually the same as the exchange?

In my case I use mail.mycompany.com for the exchange server.

dean.collins

Reaction score

Cheers,
Dean

Dean -

This has been clarified a number of times. You DO NOT need the more expensive plan if you're syncing with your company's Exchange server, only if you're using Verizon's Exchange service.

That was my understanding as well - HOWEVER - As i have been told by two seperate Verzion employees YOU MUST buy the $44.99 plan if you want to use EXCHANGE ACTIVESYNC even on your own servers.

uptheforest

Reaction score
yeah im having huse problems with setting up my outlook email.

[email protected]

Its hosted by volusion and i can get into it in my browser by either typing mail.companyname.com or mail.volusion.com and then logging in but cannot get it set up directly on my phone. what gives?