Droid does NOT support Outlook locally...what local sync options exist?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully for those without an exchange server that app or at least one that comes out within the near future will do it.

Wireless to the cloud is ok with me I think. I only keep about 1200 numbers or so on my phone. It shouldn't take the long :cool:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah there have been quite a few member here that have been stating they have well over 1000 contacts and all this other stuff. I wouldn't want all that out there on the cloud.

droiduser

Reaction score
just disgusted with the inability to sync with outlook

I should have seen this thread before I got the droid. I like the phone despite its weight but I feel frustrated with the choices available with this phone regarding privacy. Users do not have much options to control access to their personal data on the phone, etc.

I am in the same camp as Leckert123 and do not want to upload my address book in the cloud. I believe Verizon / Motorola should let the users decide whether they want to use google address book, etc in the cloud or not. This is a show stopper for me and if I cannot find a good solution soon I will have to swap droid with Storm2 or Imagio.

Are there others in this camp? Also, any one know when the Missing Sync program will be available?

DROID9

Reaction score
Really. The cloud. C'mon. I'm sure most people are syncing web-based information in the first place.

You really think your work, home, cell phone is more secure than Googles servers? Okay.

Almost sounds paranoid to me. If you really bought the DROID to be a 'work phone' in the first place, and your tech savy enough to sync your phone, then why didn't you ask what the phone's capabilities were before you bought it?

The phone hasn't even been out a week yet. If this is truly a deal buster for you, go return it. Don't bother to see if someone will release an application, just return it.

coolkidd

Reaction score
The missing sync for Android is the software that I am waiting for.... cheers!

sir

Reaction score
yes, because forcing people to use Address Book on OSX to manage your contacts, and then throwin mobile.me in there so your stuff is synced to the Apple Cloud is not the same thing...

people get way too paranoid. your info is out there, and so is everyone else's. what is Google going to do? Point and laugh at you for the people in your contact list? Everyone I normally talk to I also normally email, and that's already in GMail, so it's not a big deal.

if you want to sync locally to your PC, go for it when the option is out. don't bash Android for giving people the option to leverage the most popular web-based email system to assist in syncing information to a google mobile operating system.

Export your Outlook contacts as a CSV, import them into Google, sync the contacts once, and remove all the contacts from Google. Rinse. Repeat.

A

apeshitninja

In for answers as well. I don't use my Droid for work, but I'd like to be able to sync my with my corp Exchange server so I can easily check email...

lstroyan

Reaction score
I've been using SyncMyCal for a while now and really like it. It sends Calendar and contact data from Outlook to your Google Account. What I really like is how customizable it is. I sync most things to a family calendar; download a few calendars but don't sync back, like my husband's main google calendar for work and my son's LEGO team calendar (which I then sync into my family calendar so DH can see it in his view), etc. There is a free and a paid version.

One warning - bug in Contact sync if there are parenthesis. Took me ages to figure out why it was hanging. Also it seems birthdays will go from Outlook to Google, and stay even if the contact is modified from Google, but if entered in Google, don't get put into Outlook.

Both bugs reported and they are working on them.

What I really am frustrated with is the lack of Outlook task sync support or Notes support. Currently using Toodledo to sync with Outlook but the sync is really slow and gets security warnings, plus there is no great offline Droid app (Toodo doesn't work; ToodleDroid works well but is pretty basic).

Lisa

Zero

Reaction score
I have had the same problem as all of you. Pissed that the Droid doesn't sync with outlook directly (for non-exchange users). So i found this after hrs of searching.

GOOGLE CALENDAR HAS A DOWNLOAD SYNC PROGRAM THAT SYNC'S WITH OUTLOOK CALENDAR!!!!

Goto the help screen in Google calendar and find the Outlook sync program, DO NOT CLICK 2 WAY SYNC IF YOU HAVE ALREADY COPIED YOUR OUTLOOK CALENDAR WITH GOOGLE, IT WILL MAKE DOUBLE ENTRIES IN OUTLOOK.

This is something to use after you have imported everything from outlook, yes it's not the best but it will have to do until Verizon puts out some software to sync directly with the droid.

lstroyan

Reaction score
But AFAIK Google sync doesn't support Contacts, and it doesn't sync different Outlook categories to different calendars. SyncMyCal does this and has a free version.

SEMBRY

Reaction score
Some of you are missing the point of "synchronizing", and no DROID9, most people are not syncing web-based information in the first place.

I don't have a problem with the cloud. I do have a problem with Verizon reps telling me I can sync with Outlook when I can't. I asked three times and largely based my decision to go with Droid on their affirmative answer.

Yes, I can export some things from Outlook to Google, then sync, but that doesn't help me stay synced on a daily basis. My old Palm Pilot did a great job of keeping contacts, notes, appointments, etc. synchronized in both directions.

Is this a deal killer? No, I'll be patient. With the number of people who will have a problem with this revelation I have no doubt that someone will create a useful solution.

verakot

Reaction score
I also need a sync with a corporate Exchange Server similar to iPhone or Windows Mobile 6.0. Any ideas a appreciated.

keiichi25

Reaction score
I also need a sync with a corporate Exchange Server similar to iPhone or Windows Mobile 6.0. Any ideas a appreciated.

That should be already available by setting up your Corporate Account through the Settings out of the box. You need to information of how you get Outlook Web Access or the public port of your Exchange Server for Mobile devices and insert your information accordingly.

The Motorola Droid, at this time, does not support Strict security, so if your exchange server is setup for strict security and will not support it, you might have some issues.

verakot

Reaction score
The Motorola Droid, at this time, does not support Strict security, so if your exchange server is setup for strict security and will not support it, you might have some issues.

It's probably the issue I am having right now... Our corporate server requires to setup a PIN number for the device so we can erase data from the phone when it is lost. I tried to setup an exchange server on the Droid but could not find an options for that.