Otterbox Defender/ Commuter Review

Cunha

Reaction score
Really..the built in screen protector and the rim around the screen don't hamper your phones touchiness in any way? I find that hard to believe. Even the left and right sides of my keyboard are slightly harder to hit now with just the commuter with no screen protector let alone a built in plastic panel.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Take the case off and rub the inside of the clear covering on your cheek. Get all of it covered with the oil from your face. Sounds weird, but it pretty much eliminates the bubbles. I thought it sounded crazy, but it works and now is on the Otterbox website.

Geez, nothing like bacteria, skin cells, oil, and dirt to keep your screen protector looking good! :rofl3:

Is the Zagg that hard to put on without bubbles?

The salesman put my Verizon one on in 10 seconds with nary a bubble.

The bubbles are from the protective screen on the otterbox with the zagg under it. The zagg is easy to install. Mine has no bubbles in it. San Antone is say to rub the zagg on your face before you put the defender on. This will take care of the bubbles between the zagg and otterbox screen protector.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

ZAGG is simple to install like the above states. Best protection ever.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk

scarabshell

Reaction score
Suppose u just gotta know how to touch it. I came from a d1 with a similar case that was overbearing to the screen, but how often you gotta get right up on the edge of the screen? Just aim for it and let the Droid do the work.

P.s. can't even tell there's a plastic barrier over my screen, even with a protector on the screen underneath

adriot

Reaction score
My defender arrived today, but something seems off...the inner hard case doesn't really click together properly. It's easier to take the hard case off then get it to stay on, I basically need the soft case to keep the hard case on. And there a noticeable (as in I can feel it) gap between the screen protector and the screen making it hard to use the touch screen. And there's a weird grove on the side of the hard case....is any of this normal or did I get a defective case?

Because what I have doesn't seem to match up with descriptions or YouTube videos demonstrating how to put the case together

Is the hype better then the product and do I just need to adjust or did I get a defective/substandard case?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Cunha

Reaction score
Sounds like a defect, I would call them and send it back.

adriot

Reaction score
Got it through amazon.con on cyber monday, so I'm guessing that makes it more complicated...generally you can't go directly to the headquarters when u buy from an authorized seller

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Cunha

Reaction score
Shipping to amazon can be a pain. Call otterbox and see what they say, they may take care of you. Seems very odd.

Amazon is great until you need to return something.

b0n3s

Reaction score
Their customer service is very good it doesn't matter where you buy it! My defender also kind of clicks when you press on the corners but my phone is still solid inside

Freezetron

Reaction score
I got a free defender from otter as they sent me the wrong replacement and told me to keep it. I prefer my commuter still, the defender is to bulky

Sent from my DROIDX

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Defender vs Commuter a Dad's perspective

I thought since I've been yapping about these cases for months, that I would give my 2 cents about the cases after buying both of them.

Defender:
I love the defender for its ruggedness, and overall it does not add much bulk to the phone (relatively). I can still easily fit in the pocket of my khakis (not my "butt" jeans) without it being obvious. I can give it to my 22 mo daughter and let her hold it and play with it and even drop it from the stroller without thinking twice. The screen cover is great in protecting the real screen from her pressing too hard as well as whatever snack is left on her fingers. I cut the back raised area off of the voice command rubber button on the case because that was the button she would press the most and mess up her movie playing on rockplayer. I have never used that button so it is not a big deal. I just used a razor blade to remove the raised area making it flush and impossible to press the hard key with the defender on. I really like the rubber or whatever material the shock absorber is on the case. I get very little lint on the phone and it slides easily in and out of my pocket. The hard case fits well, snaps together nicely, and is not too hard to get off of the phone (unlike my old verizon clear hard plastic case). The rubber part fits over the hard case nicely, no gaps, it stays on without flipping off going in and out of my pocket. My only complaint, and it has been mentioned on the forum before, is that the rubber does not have anything to clip to or go under just above the hard keys, so it is easy for my daughter to flip up to try and get to the hard keys underneath. This is very small complaint compared to my overall happiness with the case. I use the case only on the weekends when I know I might have to give it to my daughter to play with the phone.

Commuter:
I had considered letting my phone go naked the rest of the week when I was not using the defender on the weekends. My phone feels awesome naked and I love the sleekness and the feel of the phone. However, after putting the commuter on the phone, I have decided to keep using it to give my phone some protection throughout the week. Initially I was pretty disappointed that there was so much exposed silicone. I thought that the majority of the phone would be covered by the slick think plastic. The silicone fits perfectly on the phone, and the hard plastic fits perfectly over the silicone. There are no gaps, creaks, cracks, or anything when using the stock battery. I did not install the screen protector that came with it, so I cannot comment on it. Some reports have said that there was A LOT of lint that collected on the commuter. I have made a very interesting observation on this. I barely had ANY lint when I was using the standard battery, but when I switched to the extended battery and battery door from motorola it has gathered a lot more lint. My only thought on this is that with the extended battery and door, the silicone is stretched ever-so-slightly on the microscopic level and maybe the micropores of the silicone are open and allow lint /dust to be trapped. Just a theory because it was very obvious when I switched to the extended battery (same phone, same pants, same pocket, no washed, and no other differences, in the same 24 hour period of time). Also, with the extended battery, the commuter does not fit nearly as perfect as it does with the stock battery and door. It is close, but noticeable if you go from one to the other. I really like that there seems to be a lot of protection with very limited bulk addition. I feel like it is smaller and sleeker than the clear had plastic case I used to have. I use the commuter Mon-Fri, and I recently bought a media dock so I have to take the case off every night which is a pain, but the case seems like it will hold up to the abuse of removing and replacing every day. My only complaint is that more of the silicone is exposed than I was anticipating, but maybe that was my fault for not looking at other cases and pictures more closely.

Overall I really like both cases. They are extremely well-made in my eyes, and they do the job they are built for. I can't say it was worth the wait because I don't think any case would be worth that long of a wait, but they almost exactly what I was looking for, especially the defender for letting my daughter play with it/ watch movies in her stroller or at a restaurant.

mikey4226

Reaction score
Does anyone have any dimensions of the Commuter to compare with a naked DX? I love that the naked phone has such a low profile in my pocket, but I want a case for protection..I just don't want one that will be too obtrusive in my pocket. Thanks for your help.

Cunha

Reaction score
It is as thick as most silicone only cases, with the added benefit of plastic covering the silicone so that the case isn't so loose and bad feeling.

If you want to SORT OF protect your phone and enjoy its beautiful dimensions, just get a stick on protector and live with the damage your drops cause. Besides that, I think the commuter is the best alternative.

cpjr

Reaction score
I emailed otterbox because the charging port flap gets snagged and I had heard they updated the design on it. Didn't hear back from them and then received a new case in the mail for free :)

b0n3s

Reaction score
I emailed otterbox because the charging port flap gets snagged and I had heard they updated the design on it. Didn't hear back from them and then received a new case in the mail for free :)
They do know how to make customers happy!!! I've never had a problem with there cs!!

Cunha

Reaction score
So what is the difference between the new and old charging flap? Mine came without the flap. Thanks verizon. It also came without the screen protector.. thanks verizon. This is the Commuter case.