Otterbox Defender/ Commuter Review

San Antone RR

Reaction score
Well, it can't be any worse than the inside of your pocket or purse and it works.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DroidForums App

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
Take the case off and rub the inside of the clear covering on your cheek. Get all of it covered with the oil from your face. Sounds weird, but it pretty much eliminates the bubbles. I thought it sounded crazy, but it works and now is on the Otterbox website.

Geez, nothing like bacteria, skin cells, oil, and dirt to keep your screen protector looking good! :rofl3:

Is the Zagg that hard to put on without bubbles?

The salesman put my Verizon one on in 10 seconds with nary a bubble.

The bubbles are from the protective screen on the otterbox with the zagg under it. The zagg is easy to install. Mine has no bubbles in it. San Antone is say to rub the zagg on your face before you put the defender on. This will take care of the bubbles between the zagg and otterbox screen protector.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

b0n3s

Reaction score
I had the zagg on under mine then took it off. Its so much better in my opinion!

ronjr123

Reaction score
Is the defender study enough to install and remove each day? I work outside and would like to have the case in then, but after the work day would like to take it off and then put it back on in the morning. I have been using the Siedo case but the rubber ried already.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

millbean

Reaction score
using the defender . the shell seems to be so grippy or not snug enough that sometimes the outer shell comes off when removing in and out of my pocket. besides that no complaints phone seems very secure

ConqSoft

Reaction score
does the defender series work with the extended battery?

Just got around to trying this, and despite what their website says, it does indeed work fine with the extended battery with the extended battery door.

Dustin.

Reaction score
Picked up the defender case today and im loving it. No complaints here except for the bottom physical button rubber seems to be fairly loose. Only complaint so far.

Cunha

Reaction score
Here is a revelation: The Commuter that VZW sells does not have a cover for the charger and HDMI port. It just isn't there. Not neccesarily good or bad. Easier to charge, less dust protection.

They also didn't include a screen protector, which I am about to get on the phone about.

Last edited:
OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
Is the defender study enough to install and remove each day? I work outside and would like to have the case in then, but after the work day would like to take it off and then put it back on in the morning. I have been using the Siedo case but the rubber ried already.

I'm sure it would hold up for a couple months. The first hard plastic shield that goes on is a pretty snug fit, and really snaps together pretty good. I had to use a butter knife a couple of times to get mine apart. I honestly think the Commuter would work just as well. I work outside a lot and my Commuter has done the job, only one good scratch on the hard plastic. Another plus the the commuter you wouldn't have to take it off everyday because it has a lot less bulk. I believe on otterbox i was reading the commuter has 50% less bulk and 80% the protection as compared to the defender.

Here is a revelation: The Commuter that VZW sells does not have a cover for the charger and HDMI port. It just isn't there. Not neccesarily good or bad. Easier to charge, less dust protection.

They also didn't include a screen protector, which I am about to get on the phone about.

I'm surprised they have made modification to it already. I like the little flap over the usb and charging port. It always stays shut for me, must have gotten a good one...lol

Cunha

Reaction score
It could be for the Verizon cases only and have nothing to do with the issues people have reported here about the difficulty of keeping that flap closed.

I am sure that the verizon case is also not intended to include the screen protector either. I don't know why they are so hellbent on selling their VZW branded 3 packs. I was looking forward to seeing the Otterbox screen protector but now verizon is just sending a 3 pack my way because I complained about the fact that the commuter from them didn't come with a protector when it was supposed to.

fertig 70

Reaction score
I currently have both cases. I am test driving them both before I return one. I think the defender is a little bit bulky but I like the protection it gives. I like how sleek the commuter as but I wish it had a little bit more of a rubberized plastic shell. I'm a little woried that the plastic on the commuter is to smooth and will slip out of my hand or off a table or desk. I think that the touch screen does work a lot nicer in the commuter though. I do keep my phone in my pocket so I'm tending to lean towards the commuter.

wildride89

Reaction score
I agree. The back part of the commuter case is very slick, but the case has started to grow on me. Im going to.look up a.retailer that has them in stock so I can see the defender.

fertig 70

Reaction score
I bought mine at the verizon store. Just call first and have them check their inventory.

Cunha

Reaction score
My dad has the Kraken and I have the commuter. Both are great cases.

The Kraken is great for maximum durability, but it has some drawbacks that are hard to ignore. The built in screen protector is good because there is no installation, but the notification bar is EXTREMELY difficult to grab and drag down the screen with this case installed.

Besides that one issue, and the obvious bulk, the kraken is a great case.

The commuter is about half the size of the kraken, does not make the screen difficult to use, and honestly I couldn't ask for anything more in a case. The plug for the headphone jack doesn't pop in perfectly secure, but otherwise I really couldn't think of a way to improve the case.

I like both cases for different reasons. We will see if the notification bar issue on the kraken can be solved, might just have to remove the built in screen protector and run a stick on one, which would be a real shame.

scarabshell

Reaction score
I've been using the defender for a couples days now. Best phone defense ever. No functionality drawbacks to me, plus I really Digg the holster :)