Otterbox Commuter and Defender Droid X cases compared

Freezetron

Reaction score
Like many of you, I was looking for the perfect all around protection case for my beloved Droid X. And like many of you, I finally ended up choosing one of Otterboxes cases to suit my needs. The next big question however from peoples minds is "Which on is better, the Defender or the Commuter?" A simple enough question but somewhat more of a complex answer. It will depend on what you want out of your case and from your phone.

The Defender of course is the tank model of the Droid X case line from Otterbox. Its the biggest, thickest and probably the best protection you can give your Droid X. It also comes with an easy to use detachable DX holster clip vs the Commuter and Impact which do not. The Defender also comes with a built in screen protector, no application to the Droid X required. The Impact and Commuter models use an adhesive screen protector which is FAAAR easier to install then that gawd awful ZAGG screen protector I used.

But, I think its fair to say that pictures are worth a thousand words. Because my first Commuter had a damaged screen protector, Otterbox sent me a Defender by accident to replace it with. I now had the unique opportunity to compare both of these cases side by side and now you can to, to determine which will work best for your Droid X protection needs.

Face off!

compare1.jpg

The Defender uses a three piece case design. The harder inner shell snaps together around the phone like many other cases. The top piece contains the screen protector itself which is not removable. The hard casing is then wrapped by the thick outer silicon cover

compare14.jpg

compare17.jpg

compare19.jpg

The Commuter also comes in a three piece layout, however the screen itself is separate and adheres to the Droid's screen itself. The silicon inner casing goes on first and then its basically squeezed into the outer polycarbonate shell

compare15.jpg

compare20.jpg

compare21.jpg

As people have stated before, the defender adds a bit more blulk to the phone with the additional protection. Its up to you wether the size increase warrants the extra protection or not. Both models require you to push harder on the front facing physical buttons then the phone by itself, so no more finger soft presses with these cases.

compare2.jpg

compare5.jpg

compare3.jpg

compare4.jpg

compare6.jpg

For those of you concerned with lint collection, the Defender by far will have the worst of it. Most of the outside casing is the soft silicon vs the Commuter which has a good portion of its silicon case wrapped by the hard polycarbonate shell. The Defenders silicon is also much thicker and will absorb impacts better then the Commuter but it will be a challenge to pull out of a pocket unless you use the included clip holster

compare7.jpg

The Defenders port cover is also comparably better then the Commuters. It sits completely flush with the case when close, minimizing possibility of it catching in the pocket and opening up as people have complained about the Commuter

compare11.jpg

Whats more interesting is that it seems Otterbox has listened to peoples complaints and modified the Commuters port cover design. My original commuter in the pic is on the bottom with my 2nd free Commuter replacement on top of it. As you can see, the port flap and casing have been modified to help reduce the issue of the flap coming open under usage. Time will tell if this is actually works as I haven't tried myself it, but its promising and kudos to Otterbox for listening to its customers.

compare12.jpg

The Defenders other selling point to certain peep is the belt clip holster. It snuggly holds the the Droid X in place and can have the screen facing forward or inside. With it flipped facing inside, your phone is basically near indestructible.

compare9.jpg

compare10.jpg

Whichever you choose for your Droid X protection needs, Otterbox has made some of the best if not the best cases to protect our $600 Droids and everyone wins with that!

compare8.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Thanks for the review and all of the pictures. The modification of the hdmi flap on the commuter is interesting. It looks more flush and better looking. I will be curious to see if it makes a difference with it flapping open.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Freezerbrn

Reaction score
@Freezetron, Thanks for the post. Very detailed and informative. I got my DX about two weeks ago and paid the extra $50 for the defender. i will say it's a heck of a lot more bulky (coming from the OG Droid). I feel very satisfied that the cover will protect it from my unique ability to drop cell phones at the worst possible moment. It also defends against 2 yr olds. I have big hands so I don't mind the size. The belt clip is a must since there will be no quick draw when it rings. Once again thanks for your post and pics.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I own an Impact and would like the commuter. The Impact has a thin strip of silicone that runs under the ear piece and covers the Motorola insignia. The only issue with this is that its not tight, looks tacky and kinda just flaps there. I am more than disappointed with this being that I've owned 2 separate Defender cases for other devices and were more than pleased.

Now is it confirmed that the commuter will fit with the extended battery? I've read that the Impact and Defender do, just wanna make sure.

By the way, thanks for all the pic's and description's, great work!

Blackwater

Reaction score
When the DX is installed in the defender naked (with no additional screen protector). How does the built in screen protector look? Can you tell it is there? Does it sit directly on the screen? Does it have bubbles?
This is the deciding factor for me.

jbcant

Reaction score
I have the extended battery and commuter case and it works fine. It also fits in my Verizon leather case. Somewhat tight but acceptable.

Heavy2804

Reaction score
It sits directly on the screen. No bubbles as it does not adhere to the screen like a standard screen protector. I have the Defender with the Verizon extended battery and I am very pleased with it.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I think the commuter is "OK" with the extended battery, but it does NOT fit perfectly like it does with the standard battery. Next to the screen, you can see that the silicone under the plastic shell sits up a little bit instead of sitting flush on the screen. Not a big deal, but wanted to point it out.

Blackwater

Reaction score
It sits directly on the screen. No bubbles as it does not adhere to the screen like a standard screen protector. I have the Defender with the Verizon extended battery and I am very pleased with it.

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know :)

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
I think the commuter is "OK" with the extended battery, but it does NOT fit perfectly like it does with the standard battery. Next to the screen, you can see that the silicone under the plastic shell sits up a little bit instead of sitting flush on the screen. Not a big deal, but wanted to point it out.

That being the case, I won't bother with an extended battery then.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

That being the case, I won't bother with an extended battery then.

Well I already have an extended so I guess I will give it a shot. Was so upset with my Impact case I ordered the commuter yesterday and am sending this one back today.

For what reason they put that little strip of rubber going across the Verizon name is beyond me. And if your gonna put it there make it a little tighter than the rest. It bows up and looked so bad.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just got my Commuter today after sending my Impact back. The Commuter is saweeet! Suprised on how snug it fits with this extended on, can't even tell.

Tap'n from DX while sit'n by a PC.