OTA Update

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Nice. Yea its definitely possible there is just the risk of something not going right and losing root. Without being unlocked that's game over.

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and I was able to un-root, update and then re-root with no problems.

Title of post says "Update worked on my rooted phone" - No it didn't. You then go on to explain that you UNrooted -UPdated- RErooted so......
When you UPdated your phone was NOT rooted.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
That's the only way to preserve root. To use voodoo and temp unroot...

Sent from my Droid Razr HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

natevines

Reaction score
Haven't noticed anything different :( meh...waiting for 4.2 still eagerly

underoath23

Reaction score
I am trying to install this update as well to test out the changes. However I am getting stuck at the bootloader. It asks if I want to install untrusted zip, when I select yes it starts for a brief second then says installation failed. When I choose reboot phone, the phone boots to home screen then immediately shutsdaoen and repeats. Need help please. Thanks.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I am trying to install this update as well to test out the changes. However I am getting stuck at the bootloader. It asks if I want to install untrusted zip, when I select yes it starts for a brief second then says installation failed. When I choose reboot phone, the phone boots to home screen then immediately shutsdaoen and repeats. Need help please. Thanks.

you can try a factory reset in recovery, if that doesnt work, use matts utility to re-flash stock. [SCRIPT] DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.21 - Windows/Mac/Linux - Droid Razr HD Development [XT926] - DroidRzr.com

underoath23

Reaction score

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I have tried both. Reinstalled stock went fine and when it asked for the update and I touch Install it reboots and gets stuck in the CWM-based Recovery again and fails to install. Any idea what to do next?

cwm is the issue, i didnt realize you had that on. option 2 in matts utility will put stock recovery back.

surfmly

Reaction score
That did the trick. Thanks for the help! I totally forgot about reflashing stock recovery.

Question for you. Do you have the install-recovery.sh file in your /system/etc directory on your phone when doing the OTA update? I have a RAZR HD, unlocked, rooted, used Matt's utility do flash stock recovery, confirmed that is active and TWRP is no longer there, and the OTA fails still. I have defrosted all apps, and used Voodoo to temp unroot prior to downloading and installing the OTA. It reboots into recovery (green android with blue symbol in gut), then quickly reboots back to normal. Once everything is rebooted, a popup says the update failed and I confirm the OS and radio are old versions still. Wondering if the install-recovery.sh file missing is causing an issue. Can't figure out what else could be the issue.

Any thoughts on other steps needed to make the OTA take? Or should I look to try and flash the OTA zip file from another forum thread from the stock recovery???

I have already done the process on my son's Razr M and was able to get it to work. Thanks.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Question for you. Do you have the install-recovery.sh file in your /system/etc directory on your phone when doing the OTA update? I have a RAZR HD, unlocked, rooted, used Matt's utility do flash stock recovery, confirmed that is active and TWRP is no longer there, and the OTA fails still. I have defrosted all apps, and used Voodoo to temp unroot prior to downloading and installing the OTA. It reboots into recovery (green android with blue symbol in gut), then quickly reboots back to normal. Once everything is rebooted, a popup says the update failed and I confirm the OS and radio are old versions still. Wondering if the install-recovery.sh file missing is causing an issue. Can't figure out what else could be the issue.

Any thoughts on other steps needed to make the OTA take? Or should I look to try and flash the OTA zip file from another forum thread from the stock recovery???

I have already done the process on my son's Razr M and was able to get it to work. Thanks.

if you do it through recovery from the other thread, it will tell you what is causing it to fail if you watch close as it tries to update.

surfmly

Reaction score
if you do it through recovery from the other thread, it will tell you what is causing it to fail if you watch close as it tries to update.

OK I figured it out. I did the manual install method and noticed it failed on build.prop file. I remember playing with that file in attempt to remove the menu bar to get full screen access so knew right away the issue. Of course, I had a backup of the original build.prop (as we all should do whenever playing with any original files) so just swapped those out and the manual install went fine.... until what appeared to be last step which was set-permissions. However, upon reboot I was updated except for the radio. I then just went over to KaChaw's other to install just the radio zip and now I am fully updated.

To review for others here are steps I took:

- I am on stock ROM, rooted, Safestrap, RAZR HD
- Unlocked bootloader
- Never had any other ROMs in slots for SS so uninstalled recovery and uninstalled SS app
- (optional) I updated logo on boot to get back to stock Red/white M vs. unlocked warning text
- Used Matt's DROID RAZR Utility to flash stock recovery
- Defrosted all apps
- Downloaded OTA, but did not install
- Using ES File Explorer, I cut and pasted the blur_version.....zip file from /cache to root of my external SD (this was the OTA download)
- Backed root via Voodoo, temp unrooted, then rebooted into recovery via Quick Boot app (upon dead Andy, hold Vol down and then tap Vol up (while Vol Down is still being pressed) and stock recovery menu appears)
- Selected install from external SD, found the blur_version.....zip file and selected it
- It went through install
- If no errors you may be good here. If there are some fix as best you can.
- Once rebooted if you find your OS was updated but not the radio then do following....
- Go to KaChow's other thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...adio-flash-vanquish_bp_100730-160-64-15p.html and follow instructions to install radio update.
- All is well....