OTA 2.2 possibly bricked my droid

destinydmm

Reaction score
I'm getting my phone recognized in RSD Lite, but when I press start it says Flash Failed. Help!!!

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to mine. 2.2 bricked my phone.

VZW is sending me a new one, try as they might, they couldn't unbrick it.

allineman

Reaction score
This was a very good post:) I have 3 droids and the 1 that wasn't rooted bricked after the OTA update this morning... Verizon looked at it and they are sending a new phone in a couple of days, but I decided to try this out anyway.... It worked!!!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm getting my phone recognized in RSD Lite, but when I press start it says Flash Failed. Help!!!
What version of Windows are you running? Some of them are incredibly picky about where the .sbf is to flash onto the phone. Try putting it on the root of your c: drive and trying again, it seems to work for some people.

m3shelly

Reaction score
Also Lost phone with updates

Thanks for all of the info. I attempted this fix on my phone too, but it seems that the battery won't charge once the phone is damaged with the update.

I also got the "M" logo only once the update installed. I knew the screen was on constantly, so I made sure it was plugged in to charge at all times. I downloaded each of the files suggested above, but now that it has been nearly 24-hours since the damage occurred, my phone says I don't have enough battery power to program. I attempted to charge it up more, for the last couple of hours, to no avail, like it's not charging, only applying power to the phone to display the logo. There is no way to shut the phone off once it is in that mode, without removing the battery, and then charging definitely won't happen. I guess I will just wait until I receive my new phone tomorrow.

The phone was damaged yesterday evening with the update, and I went in to the store to attempt a fix this morning. Verizon gave me $15 off my bill for the trouble, and shipped the replacement over-night. Big deal. I needed the thing tonight.

Thanks for all of your help.

Visceral

Reaction score
Dead battery as well

2.2 bricked my phone yesterday. I'd like to attempt to flash it to 2.0.1 but my battery is dead as well. After leaving it on the wall charger for hours, it still will not hold a charge. Has anyone found a way to get this thing to charge long enough to put on usb and flash?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you have a friends droid or you can get a spare battery then you may need that to get enough power to complete the task.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
2.2 bricked my phone yesterday. I'd like to attempt to flash it to 2.0.1 but my battery is dead as well. After leaving it on the wall charger for hours, it still will not hold a charge. Has anyone found a way to get this thing to charge long enough to put on usb and flash?
pc747 has the best answer. If you don't have a Droided-up friend, you may have to buy an external charger; it'd probably be cheaper to go to the Verizon store and get them to give you a new phone if they can't fix it.

On the plus side, if they do that and let you keep the old phone, I may know someone interested in a Droid-shaped paperweight... :)

Fallout

Reaction score
Confused to the end point

I had 2.2 OTA brick just like the OP. I installed and ran the suggested software. It ended with my phone reset and asking for the call in to activate. is this the last step and did it end correctly RSD still says running even tho my phone reset itself and came back on. Said to manual restart phone I turned off then back on and nothing new happened.

Do I now just re download my apps and start from scratch? Had nothing backed up.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I had 2.2 OTA brick just like the OP. I installed and ran the suggested software. It ended with my phone reset and asking for the call in to activate. is this the last step and did it end correctly RSD still says running even tho my phone reset itself and came back on. Said to manual restart phone I turned off then back on and nothing new happened.

Do I now just re download my apps and start from scratch? Had nothing backed up.
Sounds like you're good. Update to 2.2 with the larger update file available from the FRG01B circus thread, sign back in, and with luck most of your apps will download again from the Market. If the phone bricks again you know you can't run FroYo and will need to have the phone replaced.

And :welcome: to the forum. Have fun, play nice, and you'll learn a lot from some great guys and girls.

Fallout

Reaction score
Thx a ton

Been working 13 hr days and could not get phone replaced due to hours and need phone while working. Was in a very bad place after being happy to finally get the update...

Just to verify the call in to activate phone is normal? will they charge me again?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's normal. The extortion, I mean activation, fee is to activate the ESEN or whatever the @#%^ the ID number of the phone is, and to link it to the account. Any time you change baseband you get that activation, and there's a way to do it manually -- *288 -- to link you up to the local cell network.

No charge. Just activate and then update and maybe activate again. :)

Fallout

Reaction score
Success!! 2.2 went through. Appreciate all the help from everyone! Gotta get to sleep work in 5 hours.