[OPINION] Samsung going Tizen

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
tizen-new-lead.jpg
From some time now it was reported that Samsung was interested in developing their own custom software to launch on their phones. At the time when it was first reported you got the feel of anxiety from android fans fearing the worse as at the time Samsung was the clear power house manufacturer for Android. We are starting to see Samsung's wearables and smartphones release with the Tizen software (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...global-market-tizen-smartphone-samsung-z.html) and you have to think that Samsung is going to want to adopt the software on all their future devices eventually.

As a fan of android I say do what you need to do (to Samsung). I knew Samsung was going to want to adopt their own software and get away from the Android ecosystem eventually. With that said I think it will be awhile (3-5 years) before Samsung will be able to move completely away from Android. For one they have this legal mess they are dealing with Apple and right now they are getting help from Google, as soon as this is all said and done Samsung will be thankful for the help and move on. But they have to ask can they really put out an operating system that can compete with Apple and Android. It took Google 6 years to finally overtake Apple (Android 1.0 released in 2007) and even then it is like they are only a step ahead as one little stumble and Apple is back in the lead. Microsoft, whose pc operating system mops the floor with Apple in sales, is having a hard time getting their mobile operating system on the same level as Android and iOS. It is clear that it takes time to get people to warm up to a new operating system and going through the learning curve and bugs until the os is perfected. There have been many days where I threatened to go to iOS after a poor update or device only to finally see android mature to an operating system that I am truly satisfied with.

As far as a device standpoint I feel like everything goes through cycles. Based on the s5 reviews the Samsung luster has already worn off on some people as the consensus is hold on to what you have.

So do you see the public following Samsung and adopting Tizen?

Do you see a manufacturer in the future stepping up and taking the top spot from Samsung?

jspradling7

Reaction score
I haven't messed with a Tizen device yet but I'd like too. I'm interested to know how far ahead or behind it is something like WP. (Windows Phone)

The Nokia Lumia Icon I picked up Friday has WP 8.0 on it and version 8.1 with "Cortana" is said to be about a month away. WP may be a generation or two behind the others right now and the App selection is pretty thin, but it will be interesting to see if it starts catching on. The phone was only 50 bucks using a company upgrade and honestly that the only reason I even considered getting one. I have no intention of leaving android at the moment but this phone is pretty cool. It has good hardware specs and it runs fine, but damn this launcher has GOT to go. It seems to me that the Nokia/MS guys finally worked out how they want to proceed and it's looking pretty good.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If anything it will be used for their low end phones. Unless they can manage to tie it into the PlayStore to access everyone's paid apps, it'll be a nightmare. Imagine if it was on the SGS6 and people bought it in masses and none of there old apps were available. That would be mass hysteria. I'm also not sure I want a 4th player in the mobile OS game.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I do believe they will and agree it's still a few years out. They already have the brand recognition and they've already shown they can make a beautiful UI (Magazine). We're already seeing the slow introduction of it with the Samsung Z and their Smartwatches. A slow steady burn and I believe they will eventually ditch Android. It's no secret they want Tizen in every home and on every appliance/TV. The smartphone will be no exception (my opinion).

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I'm scared of Samsung right now. They are becoming what Apple once was, but their big plan takes it way further than that. Samsung makes almost every type of electronic gizmo and doodad out there. And when Tizen really hits the market hard, I fully expect Sammie to create a closed digital ecosystem for their hardware and software. "Oh you don't have a TV running Tizen? Too bad, guess you can't use your phone to control it."

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Samsung is not a software company and never has been. There is 0 reason to believe they can compete with IOS and Android.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Sammy has been working on Tizen for quite a few years. I believe they are closer to a major switchover then we think. The issue they have with Google/Android, is they need Google to sign off on any changes they make and want full control. Although they claim Knox is their way to capture the corporate market, I believe it's all about control.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I wonder if they'll put out Developer additions of the Tizen software to test like WP is doing with their OS.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I wonder if they'll put out Developer additions of the Tizen software to test like WP is doing with their OS.
That's a good question. I haven't seen or heard anything about it.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Samsung would like you to believe that they can provide a valuable UX, but right off of the bat there are some big questions. Ask yourself...

Would you really want to use Samsung S-Maps, S-Chat, S-Search (???) or some other Samsung produced Google/Apple/MS alternative app?

Just how much experience do they have at writing a capable mobile web browser? Not much.

What services would they have right-out-the box?

Have you heard the sound of their text-to-speech engine!? Yikes!

How much trickling water, bubble popping, wind chime tinkling, and bird chirping sounds can you stand? If you get a call and a text will it sound like someone p'ing in the toilet and throwing a rock in a lake?

At launch they won't have 3rd parties doing this stuff for them so they'll have to provide it to lure users to the platform, and it will have to be of a pretty high quality just be slightly enticing. They'll advertise this OS as if it can provide an experience as rich as the others but we all know the reality...

999841_original.gif

Whatever Samsung. And lets not get started with Knox.