[RUMOR] Samsung to drop Android in favor of Tizen OS

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it is when you consider the numbers.

1.252 billion is the population of India, doing the math 1% of 1.252 billion is 12.52 million people.

divide 64 million by 12.52 million 64/12.52= 5.11

That means it's success was 5.11% of the market

compare that to Android in July 2015 at 64.32% and that's really a pretty small number.

sources: Mobile OS market share in India (Android, iOS) 2012-2015 | Statistic
google search population of india
But I'm not speaking of units sold vs population percentage. I'm talking revenue for a test market. With Tizen os, Samsung chips, Samsung screens, Samsung memory , etc onboard that's more in house revenue per unit than Apple that uses Samsung products as an example.
Where I live there is a family of home contractors that each member of the family has a business that is part of the construction of the house from a footing digger to painters and everything in between, including owning a building supply company they buy their materials from and now a concrete manufacturing plant they opened up. When that house is done, 100% of the profit from the home stays in the family. Every 11th house they build is funded by 1/10th of the profit from the previous 10 intentionally. They don't build the largest number of homes around here, by far, but they are the most profitable per home by far. I see Samsung in the same light with this possible direction.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The question i have is, if they do go this route, will they eventually push OTA Tizen Replacement OS like they did on the GEAR Smartwatches to Android Phones or at least current ones at that point. I can see that being a huge issue. I would be furious if i lost Android on my Devices not to mention the Android Apps I use. I stand by my decision to not buy another Non Android Samsung Device.
Nah. They'll have abandoned the devices before it's decision time. Maybe the S or Note 7 but not everything or anything prior to that

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
But I'm not speaking of units sold vs population percentage. I'm talking revenue for a test market. With Tizen os, Samsung chips, Samsung screens, Samsung memory , etc onboard that's more in house revenue per unit than Apple that uses Samsung products as an example.
Where I live there is a family of home contractors that each member of the family has a business that is part of the construction of the house from a footing digger to painters and everything in between, including owning a building supply company they buy their materials from and now a concrete manufacturing plant they opened up. When that house is done, 100% of the profit from the home stays in the family. Every 11th house they build is funded by 1/10th of the profit from the previous 10 intentionally. They don't build the largest number of homes around here, by far, but they are the most profitable per home by far. I see Samsung in the same light with this possible direction.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I know the device specs are extreme entry level... and it only costs $126 USD still it has to cost around 35-40 to manufacture and market and package... that's alot of money to us... but with the ridiculous amount of money they make it's like a drop in the bucket.

5,504,000,000 realistically even at the low end of my theoretical number it would be $86 per smartphone in profit.... 5 billion is pretty good considering their first quarter profits were 41 billion.

I just can't see this OS being popular anywhere else.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I'm with Jeff, the average consumer will not care about the operating system. They understand the term "Android" in the same way they understand "Windows" is for computers...and that's about the end of it. Samsung has spent years getting their brand out there, and it's evident that they're plan thus far has been successful based solely on my various experiences talking to people and having them literally tell me they'd only ever buy a Samsung phone or an iPhone, or (and I've heard this more than once already) someone asks me "What kind of Galaxy is that?" when looking at my LG G4.

The fact of the matter is, Samsung IS becoming the new Apple. And part of that means establishing a fervent, loyal army of fanboys that will defend their Galaxies and Notes despite what design changes, hardware or software, Samsung slings at them. The only question that remains is whether or not Tizen will be successful on its own in a world where iOS and Android have buried every other competitor out there. Personally, I'd like to think the bigwigs and the engineers at Samsung are not morons. Which means they've put time and thought, and a whole lot of planning into something that big. And if they do decide to compete with those two, that they'd be smart enough to incorporate the best features into their own OS, instead of just making Tizen their Touch Wiz OS.

As much as I hate Samsung, I hope they succeed. Nothing stirs progress like all out war. And having a third competitor in the mobile computing world would definitely sound the horns.

Batman8

Reaction score
People have too much vested into Google ecosystem to dump for the unknown. I personally considered samsung device only if it has android. No android = no business, simple as that and I'm sure billions will agree with me.

I agree completely...No Android = No More Samsung Purchases!!!!!! I currently own 7 Samsung devices, with 2 of them already on Tizen, and if they make this switch I'M DONE WITH THEM!!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
2.jpg

According to the Korean Times, Samsung, the number one smartphone manufacturer in the world, is considering moving all of its devices to their own Tizen operating system and away from Android.

Previous reports suggested that the Korean company was considering using Tizen for their smartwatches but it now appears that they are looking to take this one step further.

Samsung plans to “cut its heavy reliance on the Google Android platform. If you don’t have your own ecosystem, then you will have no future,” said an unnamed executive.

Samsung had launched their Tizen Z smartphones in India, and have sold more than 64 million devices to date.

However, the company would need an OS that is far more robust to conquer the market in the US and elsewhere.

Samsung has only just entered the game when it comes to operating systems but the unknown exec said “more incentives and support will be provided to Tizen developers,” no additional details were provided.

Samsung's biggest challenge is to convince app developers to produce their products for yet a third major platform. Something they may not want to do due to cost and install base.

If Samsung were to follow this route, would it be a huge blow to Google? Does Google really need Samsung?

What are your thoughts?

Source:
Looks like you got the hot topic of the day today.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I know a lot of people with phones. I'm the IT Guy to all my friends. I work in IT.
I've never, not once, heard anyone ever refer to any phone, mine or otherwise and ask: "What Galaxy and/or Samsung is that?"
I'm certainly not saying your lying. Of course not. I have no doubt you've heard that.
But to suggest Samsung or Galaxy are terms people use to refer generically to phones because they are just that ubiquitous, I feel is not at all even close to reality.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Plus the term "average user" has blurred a little. With YouTube having a video from everything to cats playing the piano to how to change a tire on a jet engine, the people of this day may not be the typical Android or tech nerd that frequent forums like these but they are far from being unaware. People will at least Google the phone they are going to buy and do some research. With the exception of an older non tech person who is buying their first smart phone, and even they are going to ask a child or friend, you rarely going to have people that clueless. They may not know lollipop from marshmallow but they know one os from another and the basics of what it could do.

People know crap when they see it, and even Samsung went through people going elsewhere when they kicked out that bandaid of a phone in the S5, though Samsung was able to react to the market by kicking out more premium looking phones.

This is why I'll continue to root for Apple because competition brings out the best. And Samsung can not compete with the app beast of Apple with Tizen. The moment a person boot up their device and they can't find their favorite app you can bet that thing is going back. I was going to do that when I first switched from iPhone to droid.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And then the OS copyright infringement cases come. You and I all know that as Tizen begins to infiltrate the Android and iOS market share the two operating system behemoths that are the cellular market will vigorously defend anything that even resembles their operating systems, the look, functionality or methods of accomplishment of specific tasks will all be under fire. Just like the very shape of the iPhone was defended as a patented and unique design so will the OSes.

You may ask why they didn't already attack Tizen as used on the watches? Well it was such a new product and very much in the baby stages of development and morphing it would have been difficult to do so. Also, it wasn't hitting the two OSes where it counts - the cellular phones. You can bet that any potential loss of market's shares by both OSes will be protected, defended and aggressively opposed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
And then the OS copyright infringement cases come. You and I all know that as Tizen begins to infiltrate the Android and iOS market...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Begins to wh-at? Please. If this is remotely true, Samsung is doomed. Doomed!
I can't believe any of you seriously think Sammy has a chance in hell of succeeding at this when Microsoft can't even hit double digit market share.

Sent from Turbo II

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Begins to wh-at? Please. If this is remotely true, Samsung is doomed. Doomed!
I can't believe any of you seriously think Sammy has a chance in hell of succeeding at this when Microsoft can't even hit double digit market share.
Sent from Turbo II
You need to understand who and what Tizen is. How can you compare MS [latecomer to the mobile market] to Samsung Mobile.
Before you start preaching failure, take some time to understand Tizen..

Tizen (/ˈtaɪzɛn/) is an operating system based on the Linux kernel and the GNU C Library implementing the Linux API. It works on a wide range of devices, including smartphones, tablets, in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) devices, smart TVs, PCs, smart cameras, wearable computing (such as smartwatches), Blu-ray players, printers and smart home appliances (such as refrigerators, lighting, washing machines,air conditioners, ovens/microwaves and a robotic vacuum cleaner). Its purpose is to offer a consistent user experience across devices. Tizen is a project within the Linux Foundation and is governed by a Technical Steering Group (TSG) composed of Samsung and Intel among others.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea? And? Java runs a bunch of stuff, too. You think anyone is going to buy a Java phone? Ohhh, let me buy a Tizen phone because my Keurig is Tizen.

Sent from Turbo II

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Your Kuerig runs Tizen? I need to upgrade!
Don't forget people, this is a rumor. Don't count on it happening here in the US anytime soon. At least not with their flagships. Sammy knows where is bread and butter is. End of story. SMH

S5 tap'n