[RUMOR] Samsung to drop Android in favor of Tizen OS

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My point is it doesn't have to be that way. They only need a few thousand, if that, quality apps to satisfy most consumers. They are perfectly capable of paying developers good money to do that.

Presumably MS did the same. Difference is Sammie has the brand recognition and reputation in smartphones and MS did not.

Not to say it isn't an uphill climb for them. But for 2M+ apps in Apple and Android, most people will never even SEE, much less use, 99% of the available apps.
The developers get paid but must meet crazy criteria to be accepted. As an example, on the Gear lineup to have an app be accepted now it must render to square, rectangle and round, must be able to make use of the side button on the S2 and yet still work on previous models OR have a separate newer app for the S2 and old one for the previous models. Very few are bothering with the former and are abandoning the old and just doing the latter, leaving a bad reputation for longer time Tizen users. Out of the plethora of apps I have for my S only 3 have received updates this year and only 2 since spring began. I have a few watch faces that are round capable but when rendered on the S they look grainy and pixelated. This was a problem when the S1 came out and developers were rendering from square to rectangle but it just looked not quite right vs the horrid look they've taken with round to rectangle.
As I wrote before, the os versions of old with both iOS and Android caused bugaboos for developers trying to make an app for both a tablet and a phone. Their initial solution was make separate but as things morphed forward they got a lot of flack when they chose to update their app to fit both and basically abandon one or the other paid version.
I think the example you used earlier wouldn't face the battles when developing for a phone that it would trying to make it usable on a watch. I've got a standalone Maps style app that every time I use it it crashes due to not having enough ram available on the watch. The only way it works right, even after several data efficiency updates, is to reboot the watch then close all apps that open on reboot then use the app. If I get a text or other notification all bets are off and I've got to start over. This probably wouldn't be an issue on a phone and could possibly be a good alternative to Google Maps akin to the Here app. For me Tapatalk having a Tizen version would be important more than a social media one. I'd love to have one for my watch to be honest. It's one of the few must haves I haven't found a good alternative to for my S1. Opera Mini rendering the mobile version of this site just can't do what TT does. Again,a problem due to screen size and cpu that wouldn't be a problem with a phone with better specs. Not having ads is a great thing on my watch apps but is a hindrance to developers trying to make money with Gear apps. Another thing Tizen on a phone won't have a problem with.
Samsung would have to do a MUCH better job on their app store than the current mess of a version it currently has so that those quality apps don't get tangled up in the cluster bomb of a site they currently fall into. They'd have to do a better job of highlighting those that are doing well, the way iOS and Android used to do years ago , be it by reviews, downloads, whatever. They'd have to change the things on the app store home page more than once every few months, the way they do now, also.
Out of the 100+ I have on my phone, I'm with you that I can fit those I use daily into 1 dock in my launcher. On my watch I've got the same thing. A bunch of apps and the few I use multiple times daily/weekly on a dock. There's a whole bunch of apps on the Samsung Gear Store that are pretty much just copies of others and there's a whole bunch of watch faces. There's probably less than 100 that could even be considered a must have.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

Last edited: