Samsung's GT I9500, Goodbye Android Hello Tizen?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
tizen.jpg

Samsung appears to be laying out plans for what it might do next with its own devices, specifically around the platform that it uses. Samsung confirmed that it is in the process of integrating its existing feature phone OS, Bada, with Tizen, a new OS project Samsung is spearheading with Intel. Bada and Tizen are both Linux based, so when integration is complete, apps written with Bada's SDK will be supported in Tizen. We should also note that it will be completely backwards compatible for previously published Bada apps.

So where does this leave Samsung in regards to Android? The truth of the matter is nobody knows for sure. Samsung has already said that Tizen will not become its main operating platform anytime soon, but that also begs the question of whether that is what Samsung ultimately hopes it can achieve. One has to wonder because as it stands now, Samsung supports at least four mobile operating systems and has at least two different TV operating systems which is a lot to juggle.

Focusing on just one OS would give Samsung more control over its devices and more opportunity to differentiate its products from its competitors. The market is saturated with Android phones from the different manufacturers with many different skins, so what better way to differentiate yourself than have your own OS. Many problems come along with that, but thats a whole other subject altogether.

Pictured below is a user agent screenie showing a Tizen powered handset only listed as the GT-I9500.

gt.jpeg

Right now, there are too many questions and not enough answers. This is a story we will keep our eyes on. MWC 2012 anyone?

Source: Sammobile

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Tizen looks like Android Cupcake. I mean, a ton like it. Visually, I'm not sure you could tell the two apart. I wonder if the code is 100% original or used from Android. Android is open source so I'm not sure if they could use code and not have to worry about anything. After using Android 4, I'll stick to Android. Is quite amazing.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I had no idea Samsung was working on their own OS. That should stir things up nicely....

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I had no idea Samsung was working on their own OS. That should stir things up nicely....

Bada's been out for a while. Its main purpose was to give a smart phone experience at a low cost. Primary in emerging markets.

It was skined with Touch Wiz, so the UI doesn't look all that different from a GS running android.

device_roll1.jpg

bada - Samsung's Smartphone Platform

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Oh look another mobile OS for Apple to throw patent infringements lawsuits at. :p
hahahahahahaha......

I laugh heartily but this is the truth. We purposely didn't cover the lawsuit today because it's getting to the point of insanity.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I doubt this will compete with Android. It'll probably be just their dumb phone OS with smart phone OS characteristics.

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

If it's like Bada then it is a smartphone OS, with hardware that is smartphone level.

It's just geared towards emerging markets.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pritesh123

Reaction score
Alternative mobile OS must be there. You can't rely on Android for a longer period of time. Yes it is the most innovative open source product but then you will also have to think a bit about the security of the end-user's data. Not only Tizen but Firefox and Ubuntu will have a great time ahead. Don't you believe me? I have read an article somewhere on the net. Let me collect it for you.... Yes here it is, The Upcoming Smartphone Era (Ubuntu, Firefox OS and Tizen)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I don't see how a new operating system that is designed to look just like android will take much market share away from android. The only reason to switch would be superior hardware and Samsung's growing sector of brand loyalists, and the market is defiantly pretty tight as it is. Android has the apps, they have the developers, they have the community.

Adoption will be slow, very very slow.