Samsung Patent Reveals Device Dual Booting Android and Windows

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-dual-boot-ux-patent-2-720x503.jpg

It has been rumored for years that Samsung will one day shift away from Android eventually using their very own Tizen Operating System. The idea is that Samsung is so large that they don't even need Android to keep going users will simply adapt to Tizen once the change is made leaving Android in the dust. Samsung has never really indicated that this is their plan, however they may be toying with the idea of a device that can run both Android and Windows.

A patent application from May of 2015 shows a Samsung device running both Android and Windows. You would actually be able to drag and drop files between the two operating systems. You could even run the two OS's simultaneously minimizing one OS into a floating icon. You would return to Android by pressing the home button. You can even manage your resources by assigning CPU and Ram to either OS. We have no word on a device in the works with this feature. Would you be interested in a device running both Android and Windows. I feel that if Samsung as some how able to license iOS there would be many more interested in a dual boot setup featuring Android and iOS. What are your thoughts?

via Sammobile

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Funny how this is Something Available on Tablets like some from Onda. This would be Nice to have both Real Windows and Android. This is really a Feature I want.

shockracer

Reaction score
That's Microsoft's biggest issue. IMO, these phones now a days are plenty powerful enough to run full Windows yet Microsoft insists on using a handicap version instead.

gnmmarechal

Reaction score
That's Microsoft's biggest issue. IMO, these phones now a days are plenty powerful enough to run full Windows yet Microsoft insists on using a handicap version instead.
Huh - no. See those cheap, small laptops - Windows occupies a huge portion of the eMMC/HDD/SSD.

Also, Windows MUST be x86. Remember Windows RT that ran on ARM? yeah, it died as it didn't work with x86 apps. You can't compare an ARM CPU to an x86 one. Just because it has a higher clock doesn't mean it is more powerful.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
They can use Intel CPUs. Atom or even the m Series. I read somewhere they were developing a more powerful and energy replacement CPU for Smartphones to Compete with Snapdragons

shockracer

Reaction score
It's a step away with using the Atom, the only thing that the Atom is lacking is a built in modem. If Microsoft wanted to it would have already happened.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dual booting, IMHO, was cool back in the late 90's, and early 2000's. Being able to boot Windows XP and Linux was a thing. There was some geek factor there, where you could get a nod just for booting Linux, because you knew how to partition the harddrive just right, so that the darn thing would boot.

Anywhoo, let's fast forward. I see no need to dual boot Windows and Android. Microsoft should get this universal apps thing off the ground or try to capitalize on what is already possible with Chrome OS. Running Android Apps in Chrome is sweet. What if we could run Android apps in Windows? I think that would be even sweeter.

What would it take to build a layer within Windows 10 that would allow Android apps to run within a hyper-v like window?