Opera Mobile 6 For Android Released: Pinch To Zoom, HTML 5, All In One

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
[video=youtube;aKdp9JY57h8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKdp9JY57h8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Opera 5 was one heck of a mobile browser that included great syncing features and more, and the latest release from Opera is quite the improvement. The latest browser from Opera comes with features the previous was criticized for not including, and it even did it better than others. The new features includes the much anticipated pinch to zoom capability, the much appreciated hardware optimization, and Opera even went an extra step to make it optimized for the new line of tablets that has been hitting the shelves.

The new browser has been released and is now available for Android along with other not so important OS’s.

Below is some information that might be of interest to you:

The Opera Mini browser uses Opera’s servers to shake, rattle and roll webpages down to a tenth of their original size before sending them to your phone. Because the data transferred is smaller, pages arrive faster than the speed of sound. On a pay-as-you-go plan, the Opera Mini browser dramatically cuts the price you pay, because the data you use is greatly reduced. The Opera Mini browser makes any device Internet savvy.
The Opera Mobile browser gives you the whole of the moon on smartphones and tablets. The strange magic of HTML5? Check. Full, high fidelity web browsing? Check. Sharing the same Opera Presto browser engine found in Opera’s desktop browser, the Opera Mobile browser is the premier option for fast, powerful browsing when on unlimited Internet data plans or Wi-Fi.
Smooth operator: Improved scrolling, panning and zooming make the Opera Mini and Opera Mobile browsers the sweetest thing to hit mobile devices since the Opera Mini 5 browser.

Pinch-to-zoom: Feel free to twist and shout now that Opera’s features include true pinch-to-zoom on devices that support pinch.

Sharing: When you find something, let it be ... shared. The new versions feature a share button, so you can easily post, Tweet (twiddly-diddly-deet), or just shout it out loud on Facebook, vKontakte or My Opera.
Now also optimized for tablets: Is it any wonder? Opera for tablets brings smooth browsing to your tablet PC with a brand new interface that is sure to rock you like a hurricane.
Source: Opera Mini & Opera Mobile browsers

jackpfree

Reaction score
im using this as my main browser now, its so much better than it used to be a few months back!

elvyrorie

Reaction score
I just tried mini and mobile, mini sucked on my Droid 2. Mobile is definitely improved. I tested flash on the video above and it works fine unless you try to pause the video then it crashes and closes the video.

Wadman

Reaction score
So I started using this today. I like it a lot. Pages load a lot faster but no flash. Honestly I don't worry too much about flash being that it makes my pages load slower anyway. If I want to go to a site with flash I usually use skyfire because it opens a seperate window for the video and I like that. Using the stock browser and loading a video on the website takes forever and it is choppy. This will be my default browser for my major needs and will use skyfire for video until something better comes out. Love how fast this is though.....................

markwebb

Reaction score
Interesting. I am not sensing the speed everyone else is observing.

XScope PRO is still the fastest for me.

shiccy

Reaction score
I hate to be the debby downer on this one, but Pinch to Zoom touted as a 'capability'? That's *so* >6months ago. Welcome to mid-summer 2009, Opera.

Tried their browser before, and it was disgustingly slow on Droid 1. Wondering if this will help that limitation, but I'm not wondering enough to test it out.

Wadman

Reaction score
I hate to be the debby downer on this one, but Pinch to Zoom touted as a 'capability'? That's *so* >6months ago. Welcome to mid-summer 2009, Opera.

Tried their browser before, and it was disgustingly slow on Droid 1. Wondering if this will help that limitation, but I'm not wondering enough to test it out.

I don't think that it is saying pinch to zoom is a new feature or anything...I think it is saying that it's new to opera. I used opera on my D1 for over a year and it was much faster than stock or any other browser I used. The fact that the pages load faster is the seller for me....and pinch to zoom is just an added bonus. But, to each his own. There are a ton of people out there that use certain ROM's or themes that work wonders for their phones but do not work with my phone.