One Thing the iPhone Has Over All Android Phones...

npro1464

Reaction score
The music player. I hate it. I really do. I hate dragging my songs over onto my sd card, and I hate that I don't have a real podcast player (currently I drag my podcast songs from iTunes to my sd card). I know there are other 3rd party music players available in the Market, but they all suck (doubleTwist crashed every time I tried it, and I had to reformat/wipe my sd card after trying it).

I read on some thread here someone is avoiding the iPhone because he/she "hates being a slave to iTunes." I couldn't disagree more. One of the big things the iPhone has over Android phones is iTunes integration. Apple has this right. I just want to plug in my Droid and sync it up with a neatly organized library online. I heard months back about Google releasing a cloud-based music player ("Google Music"). Well, what happened?! I heard it was being held up by litigation from record companies, but could we at least get something similar to iTunes where we keep/organize our music on a home computer and sync at home?

Another thing I hate: the fact that I have to choose an album when I click on an artists name. Albums... what a primitive concept! If you're like me, for certain artists/bands you put only a handful of songs in your library, and these songs are probably from a bunch of different albums. Besides that, I honestly don't think I can listen to a whole album anymore, at least not one that's not from the Beatles. This was one of the reasons I was an early adopter of the iPod- I didn't want to listen to albums. So on my Droid, when I want to listen to a band, I have to choose the album I want to listen to- well each album might only have 1-3 songs, then after its done I have to navigate to the next album. What, do I have to make a playlist for every artist/band? I shouldn't have to!

Another thing: My car's USB player can't read my Droid right. I don't think theres an app that I can dl to make it read my Droid better (is there?), I tried everything but it seems like it just doesn't want to read it. Maybe I'm being picky, but if I plug in my trusty iPod it does just fine in reading it.

I think this all comes down to Android not having a centralized music player. Google just hasn't really invested in it's music player for it's phones. I look at the Thunderbolt, and I really like it and really want to go out and get it (and I most likely will) but the crappiness of the Android music player system is something that makes me think twice about getting an iPhone and living with Apple's strict parameters and that tiny, minuscule screen. I really like Android too, and love my Droid. Anyone else feel this way?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You might like the MIUI music player better...but you'd still have to drop and drag unless you use doubletwist...if you had an HTC phone then maybe HTC sync would sync music to a dedicated folder on the phone when plugged in, not sure

Firesong3k

Reaction score
To help you out with the artist/album name doing this should work.. edit the tags of the mp3s and remove the album name from it. Doing this you can then select a band and all their music will be there and not under seperate albums.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kamisan

Reaction score
tunwiki all the way

winamp on my desktop and tunewiki on my phone.

I can set it up to auto update my phone, it adds album details just fine.
and no itunes. If you buy alot of songs itunes is great. I have a TON of cd's already ripped to my desktop.

Winamp on my pc manages it great and no interfering of appleware.

Some people like it some do not. Its not evil or bad, just not my cup of tea. Tunewiki puts the lyrics up on most songs, gets the missing data also (images etc) and works.

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
Winamp has ugly UI IMHO but SongBird is where its at. It has the ability to sync "devices" with your library. I have a portable hard drive I plug in as well as my Droid R2D2 and it syncs them both with separate play lists. One is a complete backup I do once a week to the external hard drive and the other is to my Droid with all the music I wanna listen to that week. It works amazingly well. Its also built on Mozilla FireFox's framework so its highly extensible via plugins and addons as well as themes and personas. Mine is glossy black with red and blue ninjas around the outside. Yeah that's right, freaking ninjas. Just set it up to sync your music playlist of your choice with your Droid's sd card when you plug it in. Then switch to a decent app. The stock music player BLOWS. MIUI is pretty decent and there's a couple themed versions floating around to fit your need. I personally recommend PlayerPro. Its the closest functionality and form to the iPod touch I've used. Well worth the money. Give it a shot! Songbird is free and open source btw, so Ubuntu/Mac fans can check it out too!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
The one thing that iphone has over Android is the screen displays.....well....and some things seem a bit more refinded on the iphone....what iphone doesn't have is everything else. I love my android and will never change.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
There is a reason the iPhone's music player is so much better. The iPhone is essentially an MP3 player (iPod/Touch) with a phone stuck in it. That is why it is a great MP3 player and a sucky phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The music player. I hate it. I really do. I hate dragging my songs over onto my sd card, and I hate that I don't have a real podcast player (currently I drag my podcast songs from iTunes to my sd card). I know there are other 3rd party music players available in the Market, but they all suck (doubleTwist crashed every time I tried it, and I had to reformat/wipe my sd card after trying it).

I read on some thread here someone is avoiding the iPhone because he/she "hates being a slave to iTunes." I couldn't disagree more. One of the big things the iPhone has over Android phones is iTunes integration. Apple has this right. I just want to plug in my Droid and sync it up with a neatly organized library online. I heard months back about Google releasing a cloud-based music player ("Google Music"). Well, what happened?! I heard it was being held up by litigation from record companies, but could we at least get something similar to iTunes where we keep/organize our music on a home computer and sync at home?

Another thing I hate: the fact that I have to choose an album when I click on an artists name. Albums... what a primitive concept! If you're like me, for certain artists/bands you put only a handful of songs in your library, and these songs are probably from a bunch of different albums. Besides that, I honestly don't think I can listen to a whole album anymore, at least not one that's not from the Beatles. This was one of the reasons I was an early adopter of the iPod- I didn't want to listen to albums. So on my Droid, when I want to listen to a band, I have to choose the album I want to listen to- well each album might only have 1-3 songs, then after its done I have to navigate to the next album. What, do I have to make a playlist for every artist/band? I shouldn't have to!

Another thing: My car's USB player can't read my Droid right. I don't think theres an app that I can dl to make it read my Droid better (is there?), I tried everything but it seems like it just doesn't want to read it. Maybe I'm being picky, but if I plug in my trusty iPod it does just fine in reading it.

I think this all comes down to Android not having a centralized music player. Google just hasn't really invested in it's music player for it's phones. I look at the Thunderbolt, and I really like it and really want to go out and get it (and I most likely will) but the crappiness of the Android music player system is something that makes me think twice about getting an iPhone and living with Apple's strict parameters and that tiny, minuscule screen. I really like Android too, and love my Droid. Anyone else feel this way?

To each his or her own.

I do have a playlist of tunes that are out of sequence random songs pulled from an album here or just bits and pieces of albums, but generally speaking at least with my generation albums were put together for a reason. OP you mentioned The Beatles and that's a pretty good example of music you can break into a mix, until you hit either Sargent Peppers and Abby Road. Those two albums must be played in album format to make them "make sense."

Live albums, I want to hear the whole concert not just one track and move on to something else. But that's just me.

As far as Double Twist goes I think it works better with Mac then it does with PC. Even with Mac however it has some issues and if I get a chance I do want to go through my music player and see what's actually on there. It looks like my Grand Funk Bosnia album is really messed up somehow, duplicate songs, missing tracks. I'm thinking of dumping the whole thing off the phone and starting over.

My iPad has made music transition easy peasy, have to admit. I don't know about an iPhone but since they use the same IOS I would imagine it would be similar.

As far as that being a reason to switch to an iPhone, no at least not for me. The only reason anyone would want to switch to an iPhone instead of a Droid is that they don't care about customization. I rarely not see the same apps in the App Store that I can't find in the Market, and there is almost always an equivalent.

Also I'd wait before making any switch to an iPhone. I'm hearing that iPhone 5 is going to be released in September, but that was before the disaster in Japan and even then the reason why was a shortage of parts. 4G LTE would be nice to have, though not an absolute necessity but I'd want to see what Apple turns up with next.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The music player. I hate it. I really do. I hate dragging my songs over onto my sd card
Music player or sync app? You seem to assume that they have to be one and the same.

I know there are other 3rd party music players available in the Market, but they all suck (doubleTwist crashed every time I tried it, and I had to reformat/wipe my sd card after trying it).
Sounds like you're looking for a single solution music player and sync app. I use two different apps (Poweramp and iTunes Agent) and I'm very happy with both. Of course, YMMV with these things.

One of the big things the iPhone has over Android phones is iTunes integration.
Depends on who you ask. Again, another highly subjective topic. Even if Google had a popular iTunes equivalent there would be those griping about it and looking for alternatives.

Another thing I hate: the fact that I have to choose an album when I click on an artists name. Albums... what a primitive concept!
Whether or not you see the point to albums doesn't really matter to the dev. The dev isn't making the app specifically for you but for everyone out there and album support is a standard feature.

It sounds like you just haven't found the right music app. With Poweramp, I can browse by artist and/or album. It's up to me and I can see using both. Even if I didn't, I'd rather the choice to make on my end rather than have the dev dictate things to me.

Another thing: My car's USB player can't read my Droid right. I don't think theres an app that I can dl to make it read my Droid better (is there?), I tried everything but it seems like it just doesn't want to read it.
What head unit? There are plenty that are very specific about how music should be organized or how folders are structured or how files are named. If you have one of those head units then you're stuck with its restrictions.

Maybe I'm being picky, but if I plug in my trusty iPod it does just fine in reading it.
Apples and oranges. Apple has done quite a bit of work to get head unit manufacturers to develop iPod interfaces. Android doesn't even have a standard dock connector.

Last edited:

FX4

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. However since I'm a gadget freak I carry an iPod or two along with my Droid. Honestly the Droid does some things better, the iPhone others. It just depends on your needs. My wife has an iPhone, I have the Droid. Neither of us will switch because our needs are different. If for you a music player is high on your priority list the iPhone is the way to go, if it's a GPS the Droid. You want an open system Droid, closed system with a slick interface iPhone. The thing that gets on my nerves with the Droid is that every time Verizon issues an update it makes a mess out of my phone. It's not the case with the iPhone since Apple controls the updates. I'm tired of getting everything customized the way I want it and then boom update = mess. No single platform has it all. Droid lacks compared to the iPhone as an MP3 player.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I agree with the OP and FX.
There isn't even a GENRE option in the default player. Really?
That's the problem with such an OPEN system. The music player doesn't get updates. Google relies on the market to fill that need. Same reason the default SMS app sucks. They never get updated. Don't like the default app? Touch cookies, go to the market and download an SMS app that doesn't even have a pay option so you HAVE to look at ads.
Has Google ever updated the music player or SMS app from 1.6 to 3.0? Sadly, no.
Love my Droid but this is the one thing that grates on my nerves, as well.
Especially with the Droid 1 because the more apps I put on it the slower it seems to run. Be nice if I didn't HAVE to use another SMS or Music app.....

PS: http://www.mediamonkey.com will synch with an SD card so it should work with a Droid.

Last edited:

estafusisx

Reaction score
I agree with the OP and FX.
There isn't even a GENRE option in the default player. Really?
That's the problem with such an OPEN system. The music player doesn't get updates. Google relies on the market to fill that need. Same reason the default SMS app sucks. They never get updated. Don't like the default app? Touch cookies, go to the market and download an SMS app that doesn't even have a pay option so you HAVE to look at ads.
Has Google ever updated the music player or SMS app from 1.6 to 3.0? Sadly, no.
Love my Droid but this is the one thing that grates on my nerves, as well.
Especially with the Droid 1 because the more apps I put on it the slower it seems to run. Be nice if I didn't HAVE to use another SMS or Music app.....

PS: http://www.mediamonkey.com will synch with an SD card so it should work with a Droid.

Just picking 1 sentence out of an entire post here but i thought HC had a different music player?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You mean HTC?

I can check my co-workers Incredible if that's what you meant??

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Give PowerAmp a try, it's a vast improvement over the stock player.

... I love not having to convert ALL of my music to iTunes... :) my iPod was retired the day I bought my Droid.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, it's way different. Much prettier, has Genre option. Very cool.

HTC rocks. My next phone is going to be an HTC.

Agreed PowerAmp is good. Tried the Trial.