On the fence whether to flash or return for a different model

JoeHockey

Reaction score
So my daughter is on d2g #4 and I'm to the point where I'm thinking it's time to give up on this phone model. With no GB update in sight it seems that my only hope of making it usable/tolerable would be to flash a new rom to it so I'm looking for honest opinions on whether or not it's worth it. So my questions are:

1) for those that have flashed their d2g do you now love the phone?
2) is the d2g now more stable than stock?
3) does flashing fix the d2g problem with not "playing well" with extended batteries? (I'd love to get rid of the red light!)

VZW offered up a different model last time they offered up an X2 but we wanted a keyboard (this was just before d3 came out). Since they seemed willing to offer a different phone I'm tempted to just push for a replacement but I wondered if flashing could solve the problem.

stillwaiting

Reaction score
1) im running cm7 and its made my d2g fairly tolerable, i wouldent say i that i absolutely love every aspect about it but its way way better than the lg xeon that i came from
2) i dont know but the stock froyo is pretty solid
3) i dont really know about the extended battery (i dont have one) but ive seen complaints on here about them and if you try fission or cm7 you will probably get better battery life than stock froyo
i would probably say go with the x2 mainly because its a more popular phone so you will most likely get the firmware updates faster than the d2g if at all

Insidious

Reaction score
If they offer you a D3. Go for it, that thing is awesome! If they offer you a Global, flash cm7. I've been on just about all of the D2G roms and cm7 was my favorite. Im actually planning on flashing it today!

Sent from my now completely stock DROID2 Global :(

hellajdm

Reaction score
CM7 and other roms definitely all add a lot of stability and speed (when everything is installed correctly!), but I do wish I had a phone that I could change kernels and already have official support from a lot of the main custom roms. But in time the D2G will be there too... It's just taking forever for GB.

clouse2013

Reaction score
I would say if they offer you a d3 and you need that keyboard, take it. but cm7 is a great rom. Tons of functionality and its getting better battery life on the new nightlies. Very fast and imo more stable than stock. I havent really had any problems with it. I also have an extended battery and cm7 seems to play nice with it to answer your question about that.

bfederspill

Reaction score
Did CM7 nitelys fix the bluetooth problem yet for the D2G? That's the only thing that I needed fixed.

Sent from my "rooted" Droid 2 Global.

lieblax

Reaction score
i have seen a couple accounts of people on the brink of giving up on the d2g until they flashed a new rom and came to love the phone. just know what your doing and go for it. the way i see it you can't do worse than stock, unless you brick it which is almost impossible. i can recommend hexen which is the only one i have tried. of course a d3 would be better. good luck!

OP
J

JoeHockey

Reaction score
So far the responses seem evenly divided. This morning I read that the D2G has reached EOL with Verizon...really not liking this phone. My droid 1 was great and my droid 3 seems great so far, can't believe how bad the d2g seems to be.

stillwaiting

Reaction score
I would suggest flash cm7 they'll prob fix the bluetooth in one of the next nightlies, if you still don't like it take it into verizon see if you can gt a d3 or something newer.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I might be slightly biased but flash a rom on it and give it a few days and see how you like it. I personally absolutely love my d2g (have a d1 and a dpro that i also use for dev'ing, they dont even compare). It has its flaws like any other device but it is vastly improved once you get off stock.

You shouldnt have to root/flash a rom in order to get your device working as well as it should though :(

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Partly not true, on stock, unrooted, I had pretty good stability, only complaint is how slow the slider on the lockscreen is. No other slowdowns and no battery draining. Though it was from an sbf...So it's still partly true, it's really inconvenient to have to sbf your phone to get the most out of it. Imagine how many things could go wrong for an average consumer.

leobg

Reaction score
If you are ok without Bluetooth or VPN (PPTP, openVPN works) - you will be perfectly fine with CM7.

D3 isn't as good as it sounds (I've got both). Considering there's no root for it (yet), I can tell you D2G with CM7 works faster and better than D3 as is...