Liberty on D2G (or any D2 Roms) - Is it possible?!?

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
Well here's some good/bad news. Upon Wozzy's suggestion, I made all the same changes to Squidly's rom and it boots and runs as well... This is a semi proof of concept that a simple update.zip could convert any D2 rom for use on D2G...Now for the problem.

Same reset on sleep issue :frown:

What has been learned? Solve the reset issue, D2G Rom floodgate opens.

bikedude880

Reaction score
Looking at the debug log you posted, it looks like the sensor changes from the D2 to the D2G are causing systemserver to crash. Perhaps a look should be taken as to what's different between them? Iirc, the differences between D2/G Fission was only around 60 or so...

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
I've run the "strings" cmd on the sensors.droid2.so and sensors.droid2we.so, much of each are the same except the /dev/ mount point of the sensors and even the sensor models. The Droid2 sensors with the droid 2 build.prop dont function at all (I think..)

I assume the wake/sleep is calling to the wrong sensors...but what is doing the calling? I am currently running D2 Liberty with all the D2G lib files except libandroid_runtime.so and libandroid_servers.so, (they cause bootloop) so it could be one of those that are calling the wrong sensors. Alternatively, one of the frameworks could call the sensors, services.jar perhaps? I don't know.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
buryboi I have maybe a pretty simple suggestion that might work ...how about fixing the permissions with either through clockwork mod or jrummys O/c app then do a reset boot into clcokworkmod & system partions I belive & clcik fix permissions then reboot the device That might work I looked @ it through Jedit I did not see too many varations compared to the D2 roms so it just might be the system & a simple 2 fix permissions steps might solve the problems

As I am still learning & may be wrong but hey sometimes the easiest answer is the one fats overlooked

jaygorman

Reaction score
Im really happy you guys are putting the work into getting these flood gates open for more options on our D2G! Keep it up

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
buryboi I have maybe a pretty simple suggestion that might work ...how about fixing the permissions with either through clockwork mod or jrummys O/c app then do a reset boot into clcokworkmod & system partions I belive & clcik fix permissions then reboot the device That might work I looked @ it through Jedit I did not see too many varations compared to the D2 roms so it just might be the system & a simple 2 fix permissions steps might solve the problems

As I am still learning & may be wrong but hey sometimes the easiest answer is the one fats overlooked

tried this running it through terminal emulator and through CWM and neither worked, still rebooted when manually locking the phone.

was really nice having the lighted buttons/keyboard for the 2 min it took to try this lol

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
Yep...me too, would've been nice...I wonder if it has to do with the build fingerprint in build.prop...I ll look into that more.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
Well I dug into services.jar and it does have some sensor related smali files in it...maybe if I steal those smali's from the D2G I can compare them...there are just so many things it could be...

I'm sure a real dev will read this and think were nuts for trying, oh well, it sure is fun.

On a positive note, at first nothing really worked and now we've got a stable, semi-functional ROM, that just can't use sensors...

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well I dug into services.jar and it does have some sensor related smali files in it...maybe if I steal those smali's from the D2G I can compare them...there are just so many things it could be...

I'm sure a real dev will read this and think were nuts for trying, oh well, it sure is fun.

On a positive not, at first nothing really worked and now we've got a stable, semi-functional ROM, that just can't use sensors...

I don't know really know anything about Java so can't really help there.

They might think were nuts but I'd think atleast one would be happy they don't have to do it.

The only problem I have with the sensors not working is the lights not working. Its easy enough to slide the keyboard out to swap to landscape mode.

currentweb

Reaction score
Well, NYC is in sight from the right hills.
Keep working everybody. I'm no developer, but I was for iOS (can I say that on a Droid forum? :)). I just jumped the walled garden for Android, and couldn't be happier. Now, I've been looking at all these files, and I see a lot of things going right and a lot of things going wrong. I'm trying to apply my knowledge of iOS and mix it with my small amount of Ubuntu/Linux knowledge to maybe help. Until then, I appreciate everything you geniuses are doing to get some custom ROMs for the Global.
Cheers!

havens1515

Reaction score
I use a handy program called jedit, here's a link:

jEdit - Programmer's Text Editor - download

Since I'm usually on a Windows machine, I found out that notepad and wordpad don't play nice with unix/linux files....jedit on the other hand does a much better job.

PS. I've got Video Recording working now!!! If I can get these sensors to work, we might have a rom on our hands.

You may also want to try notepad++.

Notepad++ | 5.8.7

or even the portable version

Notepad++ Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

kxkid

Reaction score
Bump for you guys being awesome. I wish I could try and help but I have no idea on what I would be doing with programing.

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
This endeavor was semi successful. We released a tool under Team Get~R~Done D2G_Romer. More details can be found here on the forums under Droid 2 Roms - Team Get~R~Done.

Thanks for your interest.