Omg froyo is here????

bluevolume

Reaction score
I'll tell you what..I've had this phone for over a week now and came over from a droid x..really hoping for this update soon or I'll just return it and wait for the htc thunderbolt that'll be released soon...samsung get your act together quick or you'll more than just me.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
I am in the same boat as you, friend. I bought mine right before Christmas, and while I LOVE this phone, the GPS searching thing is unacceptable. That's one of the reasons I wanted an Android was for the GPS and traffic updates (I have 4 different routes I can take to work every day, need to know what's fastest). I called VZ tech support yesterday and told them exactly that, and they offered to replace the phone; no software updates coming any time soon.

I have a lot of brand loyalty to Samsung as well (TV, Fridge, hard drives), so I want this to get worked out.

sagellih

Reaction score
Samsung has released 2.2 to Verizon. It's up to Verizon to make any additional changes, etc, then release it to us. I guess they decided that since Gingerbread has been released, they might as well wait and release that since there have been some issues with 2.2 and the Galaxy S.

So it is Samsung that's not releasing 2.2, not verizon? I thought samsung already released open version of 2.2 for sch-i500 and we are waiting dir verizon to lock it up.

Search for sch-i500 below
Samsung Open Source Release Center

-Cloud

bluevolume

Reaction score
Samsung has released 2.2 to Verizon. It's up to Verizon to make any additional changes, etc, then release it to us. I guess they decided that since Gingerbread has been released, they might as well wait and release that since there have been some issues with 2.2 and the Galaxy S.
I'm not sure that this is true; let me add my experience. A few years ago my company wanted Verizon to build a custom FW release for a phone we were buying mass quantities of. (We wanted to be able to disable the camera on demand) The relationship Verizon had with manufacturers at the time was to provide them with requirements, and the manufacturer would be responsible for design/development. Verizon had no involvement whatsoever with the actual coding of firmware. They did, however, have the responsibility of testing the releases and deciding whether they were up to par before greenlighting them for release.

Understand also that the phone is actually a Verizon product -- manufactured by Samsung. Any changes to firmware must be initiated at the Verizon level, since they are responsible for supporting it. Even if Samsung had a 2.2, 2.3, etc. build ready for the Fascinate, we would never see it unless Verizon asks them for it and then approves it for release.

Some of this may have changed in the last couple years, but I'm pretty sure most of this is still true. Its an odd product model compared to most things we buy, but when you break it down it does make sense.

Jamis0n

Reaction score
I'm not sure that this is true; let me add my experience. A few years ago my company wanted Verizon to build a custom FW release for a phone we were buying mass quantities of. (We wanted to be able to disable the camera on demand) The relationship Verizon had with manufacturers at the time was to provide them with requirements, and the manufacturer would be responsible for design/development. Verizon had no involvement whatsoever with the actual coding of firmware. They did, however, have the responsibility of testing the releases and deciding whether they were up to par before greenlighting them for release.

Understand also that the phone is actually a Verizon product -- manufactured by Samsung. Any changes to firmware must be initiated at the Verizon level, since they are responsible for supporting it. Even if Samsung had a 2.2, 2.3, etc. build ready for the Fascinate, we would never see it unless Verizon asks them for it and then approves it for release.

Some of this may have changed in the last couple years, but I'm pretty sure most of this is still true. Its an odd product model compared to most things we buy, but when you break it down it does make sense.

That's really interesting. Never took that into affect. With my previous post, the update is currently in north America so it should be soon for our update for froyo. I'd rather have froyo first in effect than gingerbread.

8pened!

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score
So it is Samsung that's not releasing 2.2, not verizon? I thought samsung already released open version of 2.2 for sch-i500 and we are waiting dir verizon to lock it up.

http://opensource.samsung.com/

-Cloud

So I asked Samsung when was froyo coming out
They said its being released in January 2011

michaelcap

Reaction score
Well I hope they do it in Jan with the update for fashionate on Verizon we will see if its better or worse

michaelcap

Reaction score
When I spoke to Verizon and Samsung they did not tell me anything about update for fashionate I like Ph it just needs softwhere update

Rhylin

Reaction score
Now its january...I'm returning the phone and waiting for the htc, waiting this long is just ridiculous now.

Sent from my fascinate

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score

-Cloud

Well they also said that it would be coming in November then that it was coming in December.... So I don't know how true that statement is. We'll probably never see Froyo and don't even get your hopes up for Gingerbread. It's really sad because I love this phone but Samsung sucks at supporting it.

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score

-Cloud

Well they also said that it would be coming in November then that it was coming in December.... So I don't know how true that statement is. We'll probably never see Froyo and don't even get your hopes up for Gingerbread. It's really sad because I love this phone but Samsung sucks at supporting it.

klaudiadroid2

Reaction score
We'll see froyo!
Soon I hope
Just sharing info that I was told,
Yea your right though hopefully this is the last rumor!
Patience is all we need and I'm losing it already,love the phone ill just keep waiting till January

Jamis0n

Reaction score
We'll see froyo!
Soon I hope
Patience is all we need and I'm losing it already,love the phone ill just keep waiting till January

I'm with you on that.

8pened!

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
We'll see froyo!
Soon I hope

I agree with you. This is a fantastic phone but handicapped by software. What a shame. I am not worried about 2.3; I just want to see 2.2 work with the gps fix... Do that and I may keep this beautiful phone for a while. if not? I will give it to about March and use my annual upgrade.

ATC1986

Reaction score
Im starting to develop a love hate relationship with verizon and samsung ....... This waiting is bs . If they only knew how upset everyone is about this update .... I bet ppl would cancel there contract with verizon and go with sprint, who seems to be the big dog theses days ....if it wasnt for that cancellation feeeee that version holds over your head .....

Reaction score
For the past few days I have been checking for an update on my wife's Fascinate but it just keeps saying "please wait" and never tells me anything. Usually it comes back and says no update is available within 10 seconds. I even did a battery pull thinking that it was her phone, then tried again.

Anyone else having this issue? If so, maybe they are preparing for update?