Official STOCK 901 Update Thread (No Rooting Discussions)

springbionic

Reaction score
AFAIK, if you're scheduled to receive it, any time you turn the phone on you should get the notice. Updates can download in the background and you'll get a notice to install (rather that download and install). Updates (for the unrooted) are mandatory; if you decline it'll ask an hour later.

5.5.893 is the current OTA version while 5.9.901 is the version that went OTA to just a few. You can install it manually, if you want to.
Well, it's been nearly three weeks and it still says "Your device is up to date!" even though it still says my system version is 5.5.893, and it's never offered the update since that first time when I couldn't download it. So... should I just go the manual route? Will that take me off the upgrade path (or am I already off, somehow)?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been nearly three weeks and it still says "Your device is up to date!" even though it still says my system version is 5.5.893, and it's never offered the update since that first time when I couldn't download it. So... should I just go the manual route? Will that take me off the upgrade path (or am I already off, somehow)?

Other than a couple of dozen who accidentally got .901 back in December I don't think anyone else has gotten it OTA. You're about the only person who said they got an update message, and that was some time after we first heard about it. But that's probably why your phone says it's "up to date" as 5.5.893 is the latest Official OTA update.

If you want to do the install manually, that's your decision. This is presuming you are stock at 5.5.893. If you've connected your Bionic to your computer before I'm going over familiar ground.

You can get it from Blur_Version.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip. Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC. Or you can download it directly to your phone at http://db.tt/b8eleKEi If you do that, use a File Managing app (like Astro) to move it to the correct location in step #4 (and skip step #5).

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

As for going off the upgrade path, there is a method of going back to 5.5.893 in case updating to 5.9.901 does that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it worth it or should i just wait for the official OTA?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it or should i just wait for the official OTA?

It's up to you. It's helped people with data dropping and others (like me) with battery improvement. And there is NO indication that .901 will go out at all. The first time was an accident.

toyosup88

Reaction score
I finally got it!! A friend at work brought in his tablet and I got it from him and installed just fine! Thanks for your help!! :)

Hey kinda off topic but do you drive a scion tc?

BLeClair12

Reaction score
I've been having very frequent data drops when moving from any place with WiFi to outside, etc. My 3G will take anywhere from a minute to five minutes or connect, but usually not at all without some sort of prodding (reboot, switching to airplane mode, etc). I'm set to CDMA only (no 4G here), and running the last official update. Would I potentially benefit from manually installing the .901 update?

Escobar

Reaction score
Is this only for BIONICS? I have data issues with my Rezound as well.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND using DroidForums

samwifi

Reaction score
I updated to the stock 901 from stock 893 without rooting and I am so happy I did. I don't care about update paths etc.. lets face it, any update to ICS will take months to work out all of the bugs.. 901 is just solid and does seem to fix speed and connection issues.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been having very frequent data drops when moving from any place with WiFi to outside, etc. My 3G will take anywhere from a minute to five minutes or connect, but usually not at all without some sort of prodding (reboot, switching to airplane mode, etc). I'm set to CDMA only (no 4G here), and running the last official update. Would I potentially benefit from manually installing the .901 update?

There is a potential, but no guarantee. It's partly a network problem with the ability (or lack) for Verizon to verify quickly when your phone asks for a data connection.

Yes, the update is only for the Bionic although the 4G data problem is happening to other phones.

Last edited:

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Went ahead and applied the update manually. Did absolutely nothing, in fact, it may have made it worse. My phone has now been running for 25 minutes and has yet to connect to the 3G network.

bbtkd

Reaction score

I see someone else already answered your question but - as delicately as possible - I would further suggest that if you didn't know the answer to this question, you don't have the technical bent to be doing out-of-band updates. You'll want to wait for the official releases to be sent for your phone.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Went ahead and applied the update manually. Did absolutely nothing, in fact, it may have made it worse. My phone has now been running for 25 minutes and has yet to connect to the 3G network.

It was like that for me at first, but I live in a valley so any data is spotty at best. I went into Airplane Mode and even Restart Connection. 3G came and later 4G. For me I didn't notice much change, but actually away from my house I get 4G regularly even before 5.5.893. Battery life seemed to improve, though.

Last edited:

BLeClair12

Reaction score
I may have actually spoken a bit too soon. It seems as though my connection has improved, at least a little bit. Haven't noticed quite as many drop offs in the last day and a half or so.

FastKatt

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Motorola... They still don't have a release date for 5.9.901, but did confirm that is the latest software being tested... If I want to mail my phone to TX they will "fix it" and send it back to me in 7-10days. He was 100% sure the problem could be corrected in this matter... I wonder what they would do to correct my data issues before returning it to me?

jhom

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Motorola... They still don't have a release date for 5.9.901, but did confirm that is the latest software being tested... If I want to mail my phone to TX they will "fix it" and send it back to me in 7-10days. He was 100% sure the problem could be corrected in this matter... I wonder what they would do to correct my data issues before returning it to me?

Have you tried the SIM trick for the data drops? Supposedly, if you turn off your phone, pull the SIM, turn on your phone for 3 minutes without the SIM, turn off and reinstall the SIM, turn on the phone, your data drop problems should improve over the next day or so. Several posters have stated that they have had reduced data drops after pulling and reinstalling the SIM.

YMMV. Good luck.