[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

Barchetta

Reaction score
The R2D2 replacement is here. Its completely up to date to, darn it! 4.5.622.A957 and 2.3.4. Now what? I need this thing rooted!! If I find anything I'll post it.
There are a few root methods for out beloved R2D2 units, I would have to look at the one that I used some time ago. That said, I am running ICS thanls to 13th ANgel and the port of Liquid Smooth ICS v1.5. Completely fabulous ROM and super stable:), just thought I'd throw that out there

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Thankful for the physical keyboard!

I haven't called Asurion or filed a claim for replacement of the R2-D2 yet, going with a so-so workaround for now: installed Argotronic "Screen Lock / Disable Touch" app from GPlay Market & at least can bypass the touchscreen's berserk spontaneous automatic swipe/touch motions. :)K ...this free app allows touchscreen block & unblock at screen on/off & by shaking phone which both thankfully still operate. Still a bit twitchy, but this is an effective straitjacket I'd say. Good times!

Free app versus deductible for Asurion device replacement, 3rd party replacement device purchase? I'd say free app FTW, temporarily if nothing else! The plan will still be to upgrade R2D2 to a Droid 4 (probably a Droid 4 Maxx, Droid 5, Droid 5 R2-Q5 Edition, or whatever else gets released by the time I can afford to purchase).

Thanks all for your input. R2-D2 says "no touch!"

zephyrjs

Reaction score
Hey fellow R2-D2 owners, if you haven't seen this yet, check it out. It's a new way to root our R2-D2/D2's. It requires flashing with RSD Lite, but it is working for me (just installed Liquid ICS 1.5).

New root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2) - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki

That means you'll need the right ROM, right, and it will blow away everything currently on your phone, and thus make you reinstall everything?

MrCatPC

Reaction score
my r2d2 has started glitching really bad, when its on it will just click on random things on the screen, like in the below video.

anyone know whats up or had similar problem? thanks.

nineteen43, your YouTube video fits the scenario of what my possessed R2D2 is doing, as exactly as could be demonstrated. I could post a similar video but old Kodak camera would look worse than your documentary. Therefore I'm down to hardware replacement, device replacement, or seeing if reinstalling root access (now that it's possible again, see below) might allow me to get a touch screen recalibration utility installed. I understand this is a capacitive touch screen on the Moto A957, behind the Gorilla Glass, and that "routine calibration should not be necesary due to the better accuracy of capacitive versus resistive touch screen technology," they say, however I also see that some HTC devices have access to a Tutorial wizard from Settings | Language & Keyboard, that can recalibrate the screen. Moto or the Moto-enhanced software (Multi-touch keyboard stock app, etc.) does not show this option on my stock R2-D2...

BTW, @ nineteen43: I see nobody welcomed you here to the forum (my bad not scrolling back a few pages, sorry), but did anyone reply or PM you a possible fix for the "R2-D2 acting stupid?" touch screen touching itself problem?

:icon_ poke: :welcome: (belated)

That means you'll need the right ROM, right, and it will blow away everything currently on your phone, and thus make you reinstall everything?

zephyrjs, Yes per instructions on the linked site, using this process to root a 622-based R2-D2 also recommends running a full factory erase following the 2nd reboot, but as I understand it the SBF will wipe all cache settings using RSDLite, and if the "erase all data on the phone" step is required, then you'll have an empty rooted R2-D2. Now I should clarify, the root procedure linked by jedifire11 is not something I've attempted yet, but I'm charging the battery to do this thing tonight if possible. The process as outlined does not itself install a custom ROM at all. It does require a full SBF flash which is partially modified by the batch file (RTFM YMMV blah blah blah standard disclaimer no animals were harmed do not try this at home) and the result *should* be a non-bricked rooted R2-D2 running "stock" 622 Gingerbread 2.3.4, with a bootloader that *should not* self-destruct upon attempting to install a custom ROM. Be sure to say all the magic words...

My R2's brain needs a good washing anyway, I've even considered performing a lobotomy on it, just have to figure out where to drill the hole.

Where I am at this point in retraining R2-D2 about good manners: I have reflashed the original 622 SBF and will soon use that same SBF image to run the 622 root steps recently released (you got that memo, right?). Since the reflash I did so far, erradic behavior is lessened, sometimes. I suspect the following based on continued observation:

Hardware fault:
  • overheated components from sun exposure, outdoor temps, extensive time powered on in car dock and home dock, and the occasional FoxFi tethering session. Evident also in the keyboard replacement overlay beginning to bubble up from battery temps and the pink ELF layer underneath the keys. Oh, and the phone's hot to touch.
  • certain regions of the touch screen are absolutely and consistently dead to touch sensitivity.
Software fault:
  • after installing the touch screen blocker app, I can shake the screen and toggle touch feature on/off, but when touch screen is active, SOMETIMES the screen behaves *normally.* WHAT?? Other times it begins transmitting text messages that would indicate to any random contact that I must be having a ceizure or stroke. You tell, 'em Sparky/Lassie/Sassy, good boy!
  • The screen map, grid, programmed coordinates, nervous system, whatever you call it within the software that pays attention to specific regions of the screen, seems to shift (it has a selective memory or attention span, if I were to ascribe a real personality to this service droid). When I rotate the screen orientation, physical areas of the screen sometimes regain sensitivity touch. So I wonder if the software is having trouble measuring/calculating touch input activity. But again, no stock method to recalibrate via software controls.
So I guess my big complaint is that my R2-D2 themed Motorola Droid 2 is actually becoming more and more like the actual R2-D2 character! I totally did not see this coming. :icon_eek:

Gullible am I.
The dark side is smelling me...

I'm weighing options of installing replacement parts, filing Asurion replacement claim for $99 deductible, or purchasing a replacement device (hello eBay). I'll post what happens following root, but I don't expect it to solve the problem, just to say that the root for 622 was a success for those who want to know the result in my unique (or not) situation.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
And now for something completely different

Thanks to all for pointing toward root compatibility for R2-D2 since VZW's 2.3.4/622 OTA update.

I successfully ran the steps (including anticipated SBF errors in RSDLite already known to be "normal"), and loaded the fixed 621 SBF over my stock 622 SBF, and achieved root using the simple batch file from the Windows instructions. But I'm not totally done yet. Yes, the modified CodeGroup66 (x_CG66.SMG image within the fixed 621 SBF) *does* allow exploit and easy root with full SU installation through the batch file (or your preferred root method) after RSDLite is done pushing the SBF to R2-D2. However, the result is Droid 2 stock rooted GUI, not R2-D2... Fully compatible with the hardware but missing the StarWars ESB theme goodies.

To review: 622 = R2-D2 on 2.3.4, and 621 = D2 on 2.3.4 ...I'm sure you already knew that...

And since I'm going there already: SBF = Moto's "super file" from which RSDLite withdraws SMG image files to flash.

My goal here: rooted 622 "stock" repackaged R2-D2 SBF, not 621 pseudo-D2, not custom ROM. Although, if rooted 622 SBF is possible, then custom ROM for those who want it would also be possible after rooting, I assume.

So I am foolishly digging into the 621 and 622 SMG files using pointers from existing threads at XDA forum and the RootzWiki forum. I have successfully reflashed the original stock 622 SBF without bricking the R2-D2, and I've used SBFCodec to inject the 621 fixed CG66 SMG into a copy of the stock VZW 622 SBF and save as a modified SBF with otherwise all-622-based SMG components in the package. RSDLite flashed the whole mess to R2-D2 (again, verification/signature errors anticipated) and therefore this is all I think I know so far: the fixed/exploited CG66 as isolated is strictly vanilla 621 Droid 2 GUI (app shortcut to "The Best of R2-D2" movie is the only StarWars reference left behind, but it's a broken app link). Process of elimination tells me 622 stock CG66 contains the R2-D2ness since it's the only 621 SMG I dropped into the stock 622 SBF package.

Should note, since it was a prior question: this SBF process is NOT clearing any of my sms history, call history, wallpaper/home shortcut/widget preferences, or anything else personally added to the R2-D2 after RSDLite completes, and I have not performed a factory reset while flashing back & forth with these SBFs.

...Danger Mouse...

IF I successfully get the repackaged 622 SBF with root exploit into a working file to share, I may have to ask someone here to host it, but I will definitely share when it becomes a reality. Admittedly I'm no hax0r, so continued pointers and leniency welcomed. I'm digging deep into XDA etc to see how much trouble I can get myself into here. After all, stock 622 SBF or fixed 621 SBF are ready to save me anytime, and this artoo unit's hardware is on life support and due for replacement no matter what happens. Not quite Office Space pinata fax machine beatdown time, but close.

(not mine, below, just sayin')...
cosplay-starwars-darthvader-officespace.jpg

PS. I am aware this could all go into the Hacks thread instead, but it's R2-specific and not really of interest AFAIK to non-R2 owners. Are we 127.0.0.1 yet?

MrCatPC

Reaction score
NEWS possibly not so new, but NEWS!

Thanks to beh/bhigham sharing the EzSBF+Root bootable ISO & encouraging me to try it out, as of right now I have root on R2-D2 A957 Android 2.3.4 stock Verizon 622 SBF. SWEET!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29773764&postcount=28

You have option doing as I did (at your own risk blah blah) running RSDLite 622 SBF approved/signed stock reflash, then booting with the EzSBF Linux boot on CD-R following just the root steps.

-OR-

If you can get the full 622 SBF & Root ISO bhigham made & published for download today, you can beat me to the race for 1st guineapig brave soul to attempt a streamlined SBF & root from that single bootable disc. I am unable to grab the rapidshare link for it at present (mediafire ISO for "root-only" worked well enough today).

Please thank phifc and beh at http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/ for their fine work on this project.

If I get the full 622SBF+root ISO pulled down anytime soon & run it, I'll post the results here, naturally.

ALSO: In the process of using SBFs for 621(fixed) & 622(stock) on my R2-D2, I have not had to erase my data at all, but VZW reactivation was needed upon reflashing 622 stock SBF. The EzSBF will walk you through bootloader menus using vol/pwr buttons to clear the cache, but my data remained fully undisturbed. I don't know if that would be the case if I didn't already have the 622OTA/SBF installed, so perhaps a note of caution for those who possibly avoided or bypassed the VZW OTA 622 updates until now.

Now to dig into FileExpert on root & rename the spunkyattitude.ogg so bootanimation can't scream anymore. Everything else R2-D2ish I rather enjoy. :)K

bhigham

Reaction score
MrCatPC, thanks for mentioning that.
I will add one more note here, you should be able to use either CD to simply root the phone, without losing your data.
Of course, any time you do anything, there is the chance of something going wrong, so no guarantees, but at least one member on Rootzwiki confirmed that they were able to root without losing data. They also mentioned that when cache was wiped, that the phone was slow booting up the first time, and a bit unresponsive for a few minutes while it rebuilt the cache, but that it was normal afterwards, with no loss of data. This was on the Droid 2 Global, but the exact same method is used here, so I wouldn't anticipate any difference.
Also, if anyone wants to upload the CD images to another site, they are welcome to. My internet isn't very high speed, so I try not to upload too much, but if anyone uploads one of the images, just let me know the link and I will add the mirror.
Thanks

MrCatPC

Reaction score
MrCatPC, thanks for mentioning that.
I will add one more note here, you should be able to use either CD to simply root the phone, without losing your data.
Of course, any time you do anything, there is the chance of something going wrong, so no guarantees, but at least one member on Rootzwiki confirmed that they were able to root without losing data. They also mentioned that when cache was wiped, that the phone was slow booting up the first time, and a bit unresponsive for a few minutes while it rebuilt the cache, but that it was normal afterwards, with no loss of data. This was on the Droid 2 Global, but the exact same method is used here, so I wouldn't anticipate any difference.
Also, if anyone wants to upload the CD images to another site, they are welcome to. My internet isn't very high speed, so I try not to upload too much, but if anyone uploads one of the images, just let me know the link and I will add the mirror.
Thanks

*** Droid2_R2D2_A957_2.3.4_SBF_and-or_RootCD.iso ***

bhigham, Success! Thank you for making the EzSBF tool to burn ISO for A957/622SBF/Root. It worked MUCH more smoothly for me than previously using RSDLite to reapply the stock 622SBF for my R2-D2. I used the bootable CD's menu to follow the steps, flashed the SBF, wiped cache (avoided clearing data, just clearing cache only), rebooting as prompted, and successfully rooted. Confirmed that 2nd reboot was much quicker.

I used Root Check Basic by joeykrim to verify Root, then Root Browser Lite to make a root edit:
Renamed file in the path ./system/media/audio/notifications/
from Spunky_Attitude.ogg to Notification_Spunky_Attitude.ogg
...Rebooted and no more screaming R2-D2 at bootanimation, desc.txt bypasses the audio in its script but allows the notification sound to be used as normal under its new filename...

In other words: "dancedroid!"

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
voodoo also work well to check root status

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
*** Droid2_R2D2_A957_2.3.4_SBF_and-or_RootCD.iso ***

bhigham, Success! Thank you for making the EzSBF tool to burn ISO for A957/622SBF/Root. It worked MUCH more smoothly for me than previously using RSDLite to reapply the stock 622SBF for my R2-D2. I used the bootable CD's menu to follow the steps, flashed the SBF, wiped cache (avoided clearing data, just clearing cache only), rebooting as prompted, and successfully rooted. Confirmed that 2nd reboot was much quicker.

I used Root Check Basic by joeykrim to verify Root, then Root Browser Lite to make a root edit:
Renamed file in the path ./system/media/audio/notifications/
from Spunky_Attitude.ogg to Notification_Spunky_Attitude.ogg
...Rebooted and no more screaming R2-D2 at bootanimation, desc.txt bypasses the audio in its script but allows the notification sound to be used as normal under its new filename...

In other words: "dancedroid!"

I got to check this out!! thanks

MrCatPC

Reaction score
GuiltyBreak said:
I got to check this out!! thanks

@ GultyBreak, Yes, DO! Re: root goodness & Re: bypassing bootanimation.zip, let us know what you think or if you want help.

::: In other news :::

Today I ordered replacement parts for R2D2:
* another keypad overlay
* digitizer+glass
* speaker grille sticker
* antenna back sticker **
* cam lens back sticker **
** = see below re these back panel pieces...

I have on-hand the chrome face frame (not installed during previous keypad repair), and that will finally be utilized. When I verify that replacement digitizer solves the schizo touch screen touching itself (stop that, it's dirty!), fresh keypad will go on the slider, and then...

I usually have the backlight activator override set to force keyboard illumination off full-time. I have noticed a substantial drop in temperature after using this app, which requires root, of course. :)K ...anyone wants a Google Play market link to that one or the other one which overrides illumination of the home row touch buttons, I'll post both via edit (or you may PM me).

Yes I type too much, it's obvious (here & everywhere else), and this artoo unit tends to be primary e-mail, LogMeIn, txt (duh derp de derp) communication device for my support biz. Therefore the keypad design overheats, bubbles up as adhesive flexes/fails, and before long the seams between "keys" (they're not really key cap mechanisms anyway) separate... the letter [G] (dead center ish) was first to peel off last time. And the keyboard gets noisy while typing since there's air pocketed between the pink ELF layer & the back of the keypad. More travel, more click?

** (above) A955 back stickers are just in case I destroy the blue lens panel or silver-blue antenna cover on the R2-D2 design while accessing the hidden slider screws for the display removal/replacement. I didn't replace my cracked chrome frame last time because I was unsure about those 1 or 2 screws, you know, after extracting at least 6-7 by carefully flexing the slider & deciding removing the screen was too much work at that point. So if I can't double-stick-tape the R2-D2 themed back panel pieces after repair, then he'll go dark side with black instead.

To that end, daydreaming on the dark side, already considering a wrap redesign to transform this device into an R2-Q5 anyway, black & bronze, but that will be a when-I-have-time (when?) kind of mod. Mock-ups are in my gallery, photochopped brainstorming, definitely not bragging there. Using a clear case with paint on the inside and a contact paper covering that, so paint shows through outside under the clear case shell and doesn't rub off onto the actual device, maybe that's a reasonable project solution.

The bottom line:

I missed out on NEW boxed A957 offering on eBay for $160 (BIN price), just not in my getting-kids-back-to-school budget. So of course eBay shopping for D4 as replacement is silly for me, too, right now. Meanwhile have watched auctions with "Droid 4 plus bonus Droid 2" (both used condition), often won for the same bid range as a D4 or D4+accessories. Because of the improvement in its keyboard design, the knowledge I can root to control keyboard backlighting (among _other_ things root allows *ahem*), and well, keeping unlim data by not shopping with VZW subsidy, the next goal IS ABSOLUTELY D4. At that point, my R2-D2 will become a WiFi only game/video unit (plus perhaps a 2nd D2 for the same features, we have 2 boys that DO NOT get to play "Lego 4+" or any other games on Daddy's next biz device). Knowing the scrapes, scuffs, and drops this A957 has survived I wouldn't oppose a gently used "new to me" device.

So I figured $43 for a genuine A957 glass+digitizer (R2-D2 flare bumps price up from other $30ish A955 compatible parts I've seen), a few more bucks here & there for extra screws, speaker grille sticker etc., not a bad fix overall. Results to follow (incl step-by-step pics, if anybody's interested)...

[Pause R2-D2 pre-op transmission, plastic surgery bits en route for transplant]

NEWS [08/27/2012]: Parts arrived today, planned to install tonight!

AbusedRib

Reaction score
Does anybody know if it's possible to pull the Asteroids.apk (3D Millenium Falcon Live Wallpaper) and install it on another phone?

Whenever I try, I get app was not installed error. Reading around it seems to be some kind of odex/framework issue? Is there any way to get around that?

MrCatPC

Reaction score
AbusedRib said:
Does anybody know if it's possible to pull the Asteroids.apk (3D Millenium Falcon Live Wallpaper) and install it on another phone?

Whenever I try, I get app was not installed error. Reading around it seems to be some kind of odex/framework issue? Is there any way to get around that?

If it helps, when I ran the Droid 2 v621 SBF+root, my R2D2 "became a Droid 2 model A955" and refused to open any of the StarWars ESB content, including the live wallpaper & intro "Best of R2D2" movie. So since my R2D2 was temporarily "another phone" until I used the newer Droid 2 v622+root made for R2D2 model A957, I'd say yes that it's a model-identity thing mismatched somewhere deep in there.

I want to say there was some mention of exported SW ESB content somebody extrapolated to install on other phones, but that's my muddy memory. Maybe try a search for that? The Hacks forum could be helpful for general APK export stuff...

I have no experience with deodexing, reverse-engineering in Android/Motorola software, or splitting atoms, so maybe someone else can chime in? If it was, say, the Windows system registry, I'd be onboard & all-in to help/hack you out... :)K

MrCatPC

Reaction score
BHIGHAM: THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Yesterday found my R2D2 displaying the (M) moto logo and unresponsive after an overnight charge on cradle (original StarWars R2-D2 dock and Moto AC power cable). Panic! This would not do for my business phone on a busy Friday, naturally.

Temporarily I activated the zombie phone: rooted Moto Devour (devour, zombie, see what I did there?), and ambled through the day's PC support biz on what felt like very lo-tech hardware. Devour, you sir are no Artoo. Then I experimented on beloved R2 in his sudden coma state...

When I got home last night, dug up the USB battery bypass cable I made when last "unbricking" the A957 from low battery power failure mid-flash once upon a time, and tested whether low power or battery defect could be the cause of this new problem. Nope.

Keeping battery bypass cable AND battery in place (bypass cable to the ± pins, battery on the two center pins), original Moto "ECO" USB data cable connected to laptop & Artoo's micro-USB port, we booted up the trusty 622SBF+Root_EZSBF CD and ran the full SBF reflash for 622. Did it fix the problem? Nope. However...

I decided a working phone at no upgrade/replacement/repair cost (even to Asurion or eBay) would be worth the loss of data if doing a factory reset data wipe was all we needed to get past the glowing red/white (M) seemingly permanent boot logo... So I ran BootLoader mode (battery was fully charged now so pulled bypass cable out of the battery chamber), vol/pwr buttons to erase all data, and then...

Ahem, bhigham, my hero, to the rescue again: booted up the trusty 622SBF+Root_EZSBF CD and performed the 622-compliant ROOT process successfully to re-root Artoo.

I guess I was amassing too many apps anyway, considering I spent considerable time reinstalling from Google Play/Market history, taking a moment to delete several apps from my download history so the list still takes several swipes to scroll through but doesn't contain so many apps I "tried and tossed" long forgotten & unwanted. Just wish I had been better about setting up automatic schedule for call logs & sms restore backup routines so I could retrieve everything in my conversation history that was there before Friday's adventure began. Oh well...

PS. Thanks I guess also is owed to "my googles" for tracking & saving so many little things I would otherwise miss in a big way. Titanium Backup will probably help with the rest. :)K

AND ONCE AGAIN OUR BELOVED ARTOO UNIT IS SPARED THE HORROR OF RECYCLING, HAVING NARROWLY ESCAPED REPLACEMENT. LONG LIVE UNLIMITED DATA!! What's that you say? UnltdData is dead?? Times like this I wonder if the grass is greener on the other side: should I switch carriers? When this well-worn R2D2 finally quits operating then I'll buy his replacement unsubsidized (3rd party, outside of VZW) just to keep my unlimited family data plan unchanged. Good to know at least that a day activating & using the old Moto Devour zombie phone (a.k.a. not-so-smart-phone) did not cause any change to *the plan.*