[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

Cooly1911

Reaction score
I've done a lot of web surfing since my last post. The word is the phone is hard bricked, a paper weight. Until someone get their hands on the SBF and rebuilds it to hopefully wake up R2D2. I'd be happy test for someone with my phone.

I found some brand new R2D2s on ebay and may get one. If I do, any idea on which SBF I should use? I suppose that will depend on which Rom I use........
Of course I'll be putting a Rom on it, anyone know of an actual R2D2 based rom they'd recommend? I'll never trust Verizon with an OTA again!!! Patience padawan, right?

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Anything before .622. Also make sure the R2D2 you get isn't running the update already.

Cooly1911

Reaction score
Ok check this out friends!! Verizon is sending me a new R2D2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called Verizon today, talked to tech support and told them their OTA locked up my phone. I did the update and the phone was freezing up and doing weird stuff. So I pulled the battery, and the phone started the bootloader screen and is stuck there. And asked her "So now what?" She admitted this has happened to a lot of D2 and R2D2 phones. I had an extended service plan on that phone. If you don't, she said Motorola is replacing the bricked phones, as the update is isn't supposed to brick them. So I urge everyone with a bricked phone to call like I did!!!!

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Wow! Good call, literally! So glad to hear VZW (or at least your CSR @ VZW) stepped up to take care of you, and also so sorry your SBF experience did not go as expected. Maybe I had a heap of dumb luck on my side, but I haven't attempted any SBF'ing since my reversion from rooted 2.3.3 to flashed stock 2.3.3, and then full OTA update to 2.3.4, primarily for fear that I would permanently bork/brick the phone if I tried to roll back from anything prior to the current 4.5.622 that's "running smoothly" now...

I know I had the good fortune to find that college student's full outline online of how she used SBF to unroot/re-stock her own R2D2 so she'd have a clean product for trade-up, including her links to the 2.3.3 SBF mirror page for R2D2. I can repost the link with an edit here (upon request) from my post(s) above.

Retracing my steps:

...let's see... OTA RootKeeper was active (SU backed up & "protected"). BootStrap Recovery was removed (had previously used WugFresh NVRAM tethering patches). Root was still active (Titanium Backup Root was happy and everything backed up at that point)...

I had been unsuccessful applying 2.3.4 OTA over rooted R2D2 on 2.3.3, and also unsuccessful with everything I tried to unroot my phone completely (of course I am sure I did not try everything, mainly because I couldn't trust that every procedure related to D2 would be safe for my R2D2). So I used this (insert link ((next edit if OK w/ forum rules)) directly to the file instead of Mirrors page) R2D2 SBF 2.3.3 stock (my definition of "stock" = unrooted, VZW-compliant), flashed with RSD Lite in PC Mode with USB Debugging enabled (was still in that USB mode when attempting to unroot previously).

There was a detour in my case: I *bricked* to "low battery" bootloader error while awaiting my computer's download of the 2.3.3 SBF because I had left my R2D2 plugged into USB trickle-charge on computer's USB port with a battery too low, which caused interruption in the SBF flashing process and then a horribly tense adventure holding taped-on wires of a makeshift USB battery bypass cable during the next SBF vs RSD Lite session. But soon as R2D2 booted (after 2.3.3 SBF was successfully flashed), I shutdown "properly" and removed my risky MacGyver cabling to plug in the battery & original Moto AC charger.

Now, this all said from memory (as a technician I'm fabulously OCD about over-documenting, except on my own projects where I keep almost no notes at all), I have already gone on record to say YMMV, but my, mileage since last chiming in here has also varied:

R2D2 did a random reboot WHILE I WAS TYPING THIS REPLY POST. I mean, seriously, come on! So I will hold my tongue before further proclaiming that my stock 2.3.4 R2D2 is living up to all expectations. It has still, rarely but definitely, done the following:

Force close on browser.

Reboot at "random" (even with battery nearly full & powered on for less than 24hrs, I think twice within 6hrs one day last month).

Inconsistent WiFi communication (sometimes slower than 3G).

Home Screen wallpaper* dump to default.
(* I use Colors app to load #000000 Black solid wallpaper, but R2D2 likes to prank me with "Star Wars" wallpaper once every few days, like he just swapped my folgers crystals or something, I notice the difference!)

Home Screen stuck with 7-page selection overlay in front of active Home Screen icons.

What else? Ah yes, I should stop looking for my notes, I'm sure I didn't keep any detailed documentation. Who needs that, right?

Meanwhile, I still plan to keep my beloved R2D2 until I can afford a Droid 4 (or whatever comes next) upgrading under VZW discounts if they still exist at that point (had chance to play with a new D4 last month over a weekend, so jealous!). And to that end, I am soon to order a replacement R2D2 keyboard to do some first-timer/noob DIY repairs to this battle-worn astromech unit. However, if VZW and my all-in replacement insurance deductible means I can swap R2D2 for a "VZW-fresh" refurbished one, maybe I'll make that call, too.

This is all to say, "I'm with ya." :)K

Still, somewhat surprised that VZW is still able to source any R2D2 replacement units at all, let alone that they might have a stockpile at the ready for OTA-bricking replacement satisfaction.

So I also should say, "Thank you for finding this out and sharing it here on the thread!" I'm glad I was visiting for no good reason this morning and found your post. Thanks again!

Sympathetic Transmission from R2D2

Cooly1911

Reaction score
The R2D2 replacement is here. Its completely up to date to, darn it! 4.5.622.A957 and 2.3.4. Now what? I need this thing rooted!! If I find anything I'll post it.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
+1 from me, too, awaiting solid/stable root for this revision. I'll stay tuned for any contributions toward root access, unless maybe I missed something... we are still without definitive root, correct?

Glad your replacement device arrived, though. Can you tell if it's refurbished or completely fresh? I recently spent a week in a loaner car from my dealership's bodyshop, which was decidedly *not* new despite a cannister of "new car scent ®" under driver seat. Bleh!

"Keep it down!" I whisper to my Impatiently Whiny Transmission from R2-D2.

Cooly1911

Reaction score
+1 from me, too, awaiting solid/stable root for this revision. I'll stay tuned for any contributions toward root access, unless maybe I missed something... we are still without definitive root, correct?

Glad your replacement device arrived, though. Can you tell if it's refurbished or completely fresh? I recently spent a week in a loaner car from my dealership's bodyshop, which was decidedly *not* new despite a cannister of "new car scent ®" under driver seat. Bleh!

"Keep it down!" I whisper to my Impatiently Whiny Transmission from R2-D2.

Its a refurbished, almost like new phone. And the wife has had no problems with it so far, other than the lack of tethering.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Cooly1911 said:
Its a refurbished, almost like new phone. And the wife has had no problems with it so far, other than the lack of tethering.

I'm refurbishing mine as a DIY project in a week or so, ordered parts yesterday to replace the separating keyboard buttons & silver frame surrounding the screen. Trying not to grimace or complain as I tappa tappa on the screen: whole middle row "keys" are bubbled up, so G completely slid right off the glue and onto the floor Thursday night! Trying to keep slider closed so it doesn't eject any more of the alphabet. :)K

As long as this artoo unit keeps squawking I hope it's a sound investment to repair him for less than my Asurion deductible. Definitely can't afford to upgrade to DROID 4 (...drool!) without a big discount, & we replaced my wife's flip phone yesterday (paid $30 upgrade fee for free phone yada yada).

Now if VZW had sent y'all a *new* R2D2, I'd be (can't talk now sorry on hold with Asurion to file a claim!)... Wishful thinking

End whiny transmission from R2D2.

NEW INFO!

The replacement parts arrived today. IF there's a request, I'll post the immodest pictures of my R2D2 repairs (before, during, after), but I didn't want to cause another page to appear in this thread just to say that. And I'm using teardown/repair tutorials for Moto Droid and Droid 2 as a general guide for this project, which are already well-documented. I certainly hope there's nothing special inside my R2D2 to surprise me... Surgery scheduled tonight!

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Before Verizon sent me a replacement R2D2, I found and bid on one one Ebay. I am now the proud owner of a brand new still in the box,never opened, R2D2. It sounds cooler than it is, I really can't afford it right now. So I am willing to sell it for the $206 I gave for it plus shipping. I can post pics if anyone is interested. It comes with everything, the ear buds, charging dock, new battery, everything.

"everything" means it likely has an 8GB MicroSD and both chargers (wall charger, dock, USB data cable & USB AC adapter). If you list the item on eBay to get back what you paid, you have the unique perspective of having used a device just like the one you're selling unopened, so there's some credibility there when questions come up from buyers. I guess I don't really know what I'm talking about, have never sold on eBay before personally. I also probably just plain don't know what I'm talking about in general. So on that note...

I went this way: over here (and took some photos). I'll post this as a tutorial/documentary if anyone wants it, but there's the photographic evidence for now. I should also say, "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, KIDS," especially because I just had to see the EL film active without the keypad & left battery in + power ON (not full anesthesia).

Cooly, if I had the budget, I'd buy that mint R2D2 from you. :)K ...As it is, I spent just under $30 on replacement keypad, recommended tools, an extra "guitar pick" triangular case-opening tool, and a replacement chrome frame for my R2D2, including shipping. But after finally getting all the glue off the pink EL film under the old gnarly keypad, I didn't have the heart to take out the 10th screw of the display frame, which would apparently require dismantling the underside of the whole phone to access it, so the frame to replace mine (which is cracked in 2 places and chipped on a corner that makes opening the slider a little abrasive) will wait in its packaging for the day when R2D2's original frame either becomes dangerous (too sharp) or falls off.

A new resistor for the blower motor (Heater/AC fan) in my Chevy arrived today, same time as the R2D2 parts, so I spent some quality minutes under the dash to pop that in before concentrating on R2D2's plastic surgery procedure. I still have to replace the business graphics on the passenger side of my MrCatPC wagon, too, since the bodywork was completed with a full repaint of that side. For my wife, the car's AC had to come first (and for the kids, always helps to keep them happy). You have to do right by your spouse is really what I'm trying to say. It's Mother's Day coming up after all. You did the right thing to make sure your wife would have a working phone while you waited on Asurion to come through, and I hope you are able to find a buyer for it. And it worked out better in the end than you had hoped VZW/Asurion would be willing to do. Seriously though, you should be able to recoup at least what you paid for that boxed item, I'd think (how many are being sold out there on eBay for nearly as much in a "for parts only, broken screen, etc." status last time I searched). Wish I could make the call! Wonder if any collector out there would want one specifically to work on the update/root/point-of-no-return-and-root-now-implausible scenario we've faced since March's OTA rolled out on VZW, you know maybe someone at XDA perhaps? I bet that box contains an R2D2 of the original Froyo variety! Too bad they didn't put certificate of authenticity and number these as limited editions when they released them, then you'd really have a prize on your hands.

SlateJones

Reaction score

Cooly, to get tether on an unrooted phone... there is a newer app in the play store... FoxFi, check it out, i heard about it on droidlife, it will allow you to wireless tether without being rooted. If you cant find it on the phones play store, look it up on a computer then send it to the phone.

MrCatPC

Reaction score
SlateJones said:
Cooly, to get tether on an unrooted phone... there is a newer app in the play store... FoxFi, check it out, i heard about it on droidlife, it will allow you to wireless tether without being rooted. If you cant find it on the phones play store, look it up on a computer then send it to the phone.

*SlateJones* THANK YOU! I gave up looking @ 3rd party WiFi MHS apps in March when the OTA took place, but RIGHT NOW I'm replying via DroidForums.net app while on 3G with my R2D2 hosting WiFi tether to my netbook browsing Google same time. This appears to be exactly what I needed. To recap, this is my Droid 2 R2-D2 edition Moto A957 on Android 2.3.4 stock OTA version 4.5.622, and therefore unable to root at present, AND FoxFi is doing serious voodoo (yes, the good kind).

I hereby promise to not abuse this power. Sincerely. :)K

This works, *Cooly1911*, if you're still hunting for a method on the refurb A957 for your wife and were waiting for root access first, this sidesteps the root necessity...

I should note that upon install, and setting my parameters for SSID/WPA2, R2D2 did a sudden reboot when attempting to launch the WiFi tether mode, but after that all seems well. I'll post more if there are challenges (like if that wasn't just a glitchy singularity), but for now, seriously grateful for a functional MHS app to use when needed. NICE!

So my next pressing "root need/want" is regarding the bootanimation.ini script triggering Spunky Attitude.ogg, which I really only want system r/w permission long enough to RENAME so it ignores the script calling for Loud! Artoo! Scream! at every boot.

Pausing R2D2 Transmission to put the kids to bed now.

Cooly1911

Reaction score
Thanks to you both SlateJones and MrCatpc! I appreciate your help and input. I'll give that a trying this week.

billcox

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum. Quick question. I just got my r2d2 and I've seen where you can root from the phone and was wandering it would work with mine: I've got 2.3.3 and 602:

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum. Quick question. I just got my r2d2 and I've seen where you can root from the phone and was wandering it would work with mine: I've got 2.3.3 and 602:

WELCOME, BILLCOX!

:welcome:

Sorry for the delay (at least on my part as a fellow R2D2 owner), but my artoo unit has been possessed by either heat damage, electromagnetic interference, static electrical discharge, humidity, kids playing a game that required holding down a corner of the touchscreen, possible 4ft drop (although R2D2 has suffered a few of those not too worse for wear since I adopted him), and I'm not ruling out bad voodoo, solar flares, and the upcoming July Friday 13th this week. Touchscreen is randomly haywire... And, yes I've read through several threads about bad charging cables, wall adapters, USB extensions, etc.

Anyso, to the point: Standard disclaimer = "root at your own risk" ...but I did have successful root, and rather easily, on the old 2.3.3 software build. So you should be root-able if you so choose. Since over-the-air update to 2.3.4 from VZW's automatic OTA update prompt, once 2.3.4 (a.k.a. v622) software build is installed, then reversal by 2.3.3 SBF flash is a no-go, as is conventional rooting methods of 2.3.4. YMMV, of course.

If you need specific pointers, we may be able to lend a hand.

PS. BillCox, where did you get your R2-D2, since I may ultimately have to replace this one I've loved so dearly?

End transmission from POSSESSED R2-D2 (actually via DroidForums.net on my netbook since he's having a FIT and has been grounded to the refrigerator for a little while longer, no seriously, he's on the shelf next to some fruit with specific instructions to "CHILL OUT!") :wacko:

MrCatPC

Reaction score
My dilemma: R2D2 says he's ready for his padded room at the asylum now, yes, yes he does!

...per above post, psycho touchscreen. And standard factory reset didn't do the magic, so I'm down to this plan:

1). RSDLITE SBF Flash for matching 1FF-p2a_droid2_r2d2_cdma_droid2_r2d2-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DR4-52-120118-release-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf which I have downloaded earlier today. If that doesn't brick the phone AND it also doesn't solve the "my touchscreen has been replaced with (Folgers) jumping beans and I notice the difference" issue, then I move onto replacing R2D2. I've been in there and really don't want to tackle screen replacement just to find out something else on the mother-/daughter-board is toast OR that I can't but R2Dumpty back together again... I know the pieces fit, I watched them fall apart (T. Reznor)

2.) Out with this artoo unit and in with:
a.) Asurion Claim Center for equipment protection replacement under terms of $99.00 deductible?*
b.) ebay replacement direct purchase?​
  • [*=1]R2-D2 (A957) NEW on eBay showing $159.99 BIN price[*=1]DROID 4 (XT894) USED, various conditions: $150+ starting bid auctions, etc.
Ultimately, here's my question, and I'll probably need to post this in another thread (Droid 2 General Forum?) for perspective, but I thought this would be a good place to start for some R2-D2 empathy:

Is it worthwhile for me to claim the $99 deductible "see-what-I-can-get" replacement option with Asurion, knowing that I will most likely get a refurbished R2-D2 "or similar model phone" under their terms? Consider that I cannot afford to outright buy a new Droid 4, although that's really what I would want to move up to when the time is right. For roughly +$60 over the $99 deductible I could instead buy the new R2-D2, presumably with the original stock 2.2 Froyo OS, from this reputable eBay seller (and I'd be back to something that can safely be rooted: BONUS!)...

Is there any way Asurion would allow replacement claim to move me up to a Droid 4 Certified Reused/Refurb from the battle-worn R2-D2? Side question here: what should I know before I make any call to Asurion?

IF I purchase my own replacement phone, what happens to my Asurion protection plan once I activate the new phone, R2-D2 of different serial# or any other model phone, will my coverage be dissolved or transfer to the new device?

Thanks for enduring my rambles and questions, folks. Feel free to redirect me anywhere I should be posting all this (I don't mean to hijack the official thread here).

And now to prep for full SBF brainwash (please don't brick, please don't brick, please...) OH, and happy 7-11! I certainly didn't want to attempt this on this upcoming Friday, that's just asking for more trouble! :)K