[Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread

MAMBA24ILL

Reaction score
Try this buddy. Another member posted it & it worked for me.

Quick followup this version of Android Tether didn't work for me after rooting. Neither did a couple other wireless tether apps.

I tried instead Wifi Tether for Root Users v3.1beta2 (google it), and it worked for my D2 with Gingerbread 2.3.3. After installing, set it up by select DroidX as your device profile. In addition, I also selected Change Setup-Method to Hostapd (master). So far, it works.

Cooly1911

Reaction score
Try this buddy. Another member posted it & it worked for me.

Quick followup this version of Android Tether didn't work for me after rooting. Neither did a couple other wireless tether apps.

I tried instead Wifi Tether for Root Users v3.1beta2 (google it), and it worked for my D2 with Gingerbread 2.3.3. After installing, set it up by select DroidX as your device profile. In addition, I also selected Change Setup-Method to Hostapd (master). So far, it works.

No luck bro. I can connect, but I get sent to verizons "let us rape you for more money" sight. So close but no cigar.

SlateJones

Reaction score
No luck bro. I can connect, but I get sent to verizons "let us rape you for more money" sight. So close but no cigar.

Cooly I believe I have exactly what you need... I will look around for it and drop it into my dropbox... I will pm you shortly..

nineteen43

Reaction score
my r2d2 has started glitching really bad, when its on it will just click on random things on the screen, like in the below video.

anyone know whats up or had similar problem? thanks.

[video=youtube;s5ZV62i2Qm8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ZV62i2Qm8[/video]

negropy

Reaction score
Does anybody have a link to the R2 sbf? I accidentally deleted it and can't find it. I'm trying to get back to stock to get the official R2 GB update. Thanks everybody!

Sent from my D3

zephyrjs

Reaction score
Does anybody have a link to the R2 sbf? I accidentally deleted it and can't find it. I'm trying to get back to stock to get the official R2 GB update. Thanks everybody!

Sent from my D3

I have the SBF and created a torrent. I put it out on a couple of open trackers but I can't figure out the URL to give to you for the magnet link. Anyway, feel free to PM me and I can email you the torrent file at least to start with. If anyone has a suggestion for a site to use to upload the .torrent, that would be great.

jordy787

Reaction score
i need link for sbf 2.2

Whats the link for droid 2 r2d2 sbf for update 2.2 that link u have isnt valid thanks

jordy787

Reaction score
i need link for sbf 2.2

not sure why he is the only one. anyways people thought that the A957 model was the Droid Pro, it turns out they were wrong so they threw out the SBF which was actually for the R2D2. Anyways so yeah his email is <[email protected]> at one time it was a free download but he has since made those links Private.

the link for sbf is invalid and i need it for my droid 2 r2d2 please post new link

MrCatPC

Reaction score
I went here for full instructions:
http://www.math.ias.edu/~tarzadon/pages/posts/droid-2-r2d2-sbf-97.php

Jumped straight to download mirrors here (from the instructions above):
http://mir.cr/1KUWDQWP

I used this set to download the 2.3.3 sbf over the weekend, flash back to unrooted stock 2.3.3 & perform clean OTA update to 2.3.4 ...

Used the "deposit files" mirror for sbf download, used RSD Lite (Googled latest version) & successful on first attempt.

Now I also waited way to long in bootloader mode with a low battery while downloading the sbf etc, so I destroyed an old standard printer USB A/B cable to hack a battery bypass while RSD Lite flashed the sbf. (That's a whole 'nother story!) It was not pretty for a while, but it was either that, obtain a charged battery, or sit on looped "low battery cannot program" error. Resuscitated from possible BRICK status, "Eep!"

Learned a lot over the weekend thanks to this forum & other sources. All prompted by the OTA push to 2.3.4 popup end of last week. After all this, I've had no force close on browser, no random reboot (after previous 2.3 OTA it would reboot on shutdown, media dock & car dock with no warning), no more SMS thread splitting/duplication, and I haven't experienced any audio/notification silenced issues that others may have seen.

Best of luck if you go the same path I did. Regardless, this was how I found the legitimate R2D2 2.2 sbf for my actual Moto A957...

Yes I intentionally wiped out my root with this method. I wanted a fresh start, now just patiently hunting for new root access to be revealed (so I like it "mostly stock," it's a problem, I admit it!)... 1st thing I do after root is rename R2D2's "Spunky Attitude" ogg in system\media so that stock bootanimation script doesn't find it on boot... :)K

Probably brave enough to try custom ROMs now, but ...nah.

End Transmission from R2D2

EDIT: I said stock 2.2 but meant 2.3.3 sbf (*derp!*), which Pete's Moto Root Tools _can_ handle. Whoops! I quit looking for 2.2 sbf when I found this stock 2.3.3 sbf ... sorry to spread confusion if I did. Eep! ... now dreaming of 2.3.4 root following the successful OTA sans root.

zephyrjs

Reaction score
now just patiently hunting for new root access to be revealed

I'd just like to formally ask that if anyone DOES come across a way to root for 2.3.4, could you please post here on this thread. Thank you. :)

MrCatPC

Reaction score
Ditto that! :)K

Missing my fav features more than I thought I would ... "root withdrawal" yet I'd say root was first step toward detox! Surprisingly not desperate for tether (yet), but total amnesia re every little mod I did after root on 2.3.3 ... ah yes, it's all coming back to me *now!*

Checking this thread at least daily, and using search of course.

Transmission from *STOCK234* R2D2

thorhxc

Reaction score
I used this set to download the 2.3.3 sbf over the weekend, flash back to unrooted stock 2.3.3 & perform clean OTA update to 2.3.4 ...

EDIT: I said stock 2.2 but meant 2.3.3 sbf (*derp!*), which Pete's Moto Root Tools _can_ handle. Whoops! I quit looking for 2.2 sbf when I found this stock 2.3.3 sbf ... sorry to spread confusion if I did. Eep! ... now dreaming of 2.3.4 root following the successful OTA sans root.

So just to be clear, you were running 2.3.3 sbf then went to 2.3.4? I'm interested because last year I flashed 2.3.3 to my Droid R2D2 but I had to use the D2 version because GB hadn't released for it yet. I was wondering if it'd work for my R2D2 running the D2 2.3.3. I've seen a lot of posts in forums about phones being bricked trying to put 2.3.4 on, but they were other models I believe, so I just want to do this as cautiously as possible.

Cooly1911

Reaction score
Well I seem to have bricked the wife's, my old, R2D2. I let it update yesterday, it was acting real weird, unresponsive, and I lost root. I tried to root but had no luck, so I down loaded the above file: Download mirrors for 1FF-p2a_droid2_r2d2_cdma_droid2_r2d2-user-2.3.3-4.5.1_57_DR2-32-110726-release-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf.gz - Mirrorcreator - Upload files to multiple hosts and tired flashing. RSD lite says passed every time. But the phone reboots back to the Bootloader and shows this:
Bootloader
D2.35
Err:A5,70,70,00,1F

NEW_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

I also tried flashing VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf and VRZ_A957_2.4.5_1FF_01.sbf with the same results.
So unless my files are corrupt I'm stuck with a bricked R2D2.

I could sure use some help my friends. The wife is not happy!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

jedifire11

Reaction score
If you updated to 4.5.622, you will probably remain bricked as that update broke root and SBF'ing to previous builds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you might have to wait for a new SBF file to be released.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
jedifire11 said:
If you updated to 4.5.622, you will probably remain bricked as that update broke root and SBF'ing to previous builds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you might have to wait for a new SBF file to be released.

I believe this is the current state of affairs as well.