Official OTA Fails If You've Downloaded a Leaked Update

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
So I downloaded the leaked 5.5.893 when it first came out. I kept it for a day or so then decided to roll back to .886 and just root. Today after work I got the notification that the official .893 was ready for my phone. After multiple attempts, it failed to install. I've tried to find the leaked .893 and was able to get it off of Droid Bionic » -[LEAK] OTA update 5.5.893 (better battery, bettery connection), but that's also failing to download. Any suggestions??

Last edited:

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
Download failed? or the install of the file after its downloaded has failed?

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Download failed? or the install of the file after its downloaded has failed?

Sorry; yeah, the install failed. The actual download wasn't a problem, but it gives me the message that it failed to install. I'll change the OP to better state that.

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
in that case... can you use a file manager (like root explorer) to grab the files from /cache and post them?

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's in there. Would it be called APK Handler? That's the only thing I see in the cache that looks like it might be it. And then you'd have to tell me how to actually get that off my phone. Could I move it to Dropbox?

And PS:
I still need help with my problem as well.

Mark_Venture

Reaction score
If you use root explorer to go "up" to the top... then find the CACHE folder... it will likely be a LONG file name that ends with a .ZIP extension.

That is where updates usually are... if that is where you looked, and don't see it, then I'm not sure what to say.

As for your originally issue of not being able to install it... I wonder if there is any check for kernel, baseband, etc for the UPDATE to install? and trying the leaked 5.5.893 updated you, and going back to 5.5.886 didn't down grade you to the right versions?

Last edited:
OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
No then I don't have that download. I know I download it and the download completes, then it goes into the reboot while it installs, then when it starts back up, it'll say the install failed.

I know when I went back to .886 it didn't change the radio or kernel. I've read numerous times that those can't be reverted back. I just thought since this OTA is supposed to be the same as the leaked one, it would let me install it. And I can't. I just tried to reinstall the leaked version from http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...-update-file-str8-moto-no-root-necessary.html, but that link is now dead. So I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do next.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
im in a similar situation, i flashed the 5.5.886 a while ago and cant flash back to stock.
i tried every usb port on 3 different comp's, it extracts fine but fails right away after i click "start". i have flashed this same stock file before i put leaks on with no issues.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks

correction, maybe...
im sure i flashed 5.7.893 before but after the failed flash attempt this morning the phone reports 5.5.886 but it didnt flash, it failed.
also curious, the phone factory reset itself, all data was lost after the failed flash attempts...
so im confused lol,
should i try to flash 5.8.894?

Last edited:

Anathema

Reaction score
5.5.886 is stock. 5.5.893 is the update that people are receiving OTA. If you flashed to any leaked build (5.5.893leak - 5.7.893 - 5.8.894) you will not be able to receive OTA updates as of right now due to the bootloader being locked. It fill fail. There currently is nothing you can do to go back to stock, and this was posted as a disclaimer several times.

Sorry.

As for the factory reset...All that a factory reset does is wipe your phone's data/cache. It does not revert back to stock. To revert back to stock, use this thread here : R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1 You can not revert back to the stock Kernel/Radio if you have installed a leak update.

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
thanks,
i know what a factory reset does, what i meant was, something in the failed attempts caused it to reset, i did not do it.
also, after tha failed attempts, the phone doesnt report the same version (the leaked one) as it did before i tried to flash.
its been a while since i flashed this phone and i didnt realize what had happened until after i posted that lol

thanks again

Reaction score
I would assume since you already had the 5.5.893 radio and kernel it assumes you don't need the update. So I think it checks the radio, kernel, and system and if one of those matches then it doesn't update. Now as far as the 5.8.894 update we know the leak only installs on 5.886. Now if the update path is 5.893->7.893->8.894 then the actual 8.894 update, I would assume, will install over 7.893. So I would also assume if you update your system back to 5.893 then when the next OTA rolls out you should be able to install it.

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
So now the question is, does anyone have the leaked 5.893?

pstpup

Reaction score
cannot go any higher

you can't update anymore through leaked versions, and you are still at 5.5.893. it never went away. just your system is .886. Baseband and kernel are .893. I'm in the same boat as you as far as not being able to do anything until jan or maybe feb. that's when the .894 comes out.