5.8.894 offical update before ICS update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIrONIC

Reaction score
You are off the update path. You need to us p3droids pathsaver like said above. Here is a link Droid Bionic » -P3Droid’s Bionic Path Saver 1-Click (restore Bionic to upgrade path!) There is also a mac and linux version on rootzwiki.

Wow, huh.....
I was told by others elsewhere that updating from the stock 5.5.886 to the 5.8.894 that I'm at now was the way to go and be safe on the update path.

Now I have to do the path saver anyway? :lol:

Well, unless you've just been spouting off cr@p for a couple years to get your post count up, I'm going to take your post count as a good sign that you just might be right here. :lol:

I will check into it too, but how do we know that this path-saver is the way to go?

Oh....something else, if I had never done anything to mine (well, except root and forever root), why couldn't I get any updates in the first place (i.e. got it in Oct., never got any updates OTA, the built-in manual update tool never worked, and I was stuck at 5.5.886 until I manually applied the 5.8.894 update last week)?

At any rate, I will probably do the path saver as you point to. I have read through it before, but figured I wouldn't need it.
Thanks a lot for your input.

bigmook

Reaction score
Yep the path saver is your only hope. Why wouldn't internal updated work? Did you freeze something or use cheesecake? Just curious.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

rumblee1

Reaction score
Hi, I went to download, but it wouldn't. It kept starting to, but would stop and say "download unsuccessful ". Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bigmook

Reaction score
Are you using a p.c.?...if not use a different browser.

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Why wouldn't internal updated work? Did you freeze something or use cheesecake? Just curious.

.894? Latest update is. .893 fyi.

OK, here's the deal...

* I got my Bionic (brand new, from Best Buy) in mid-Oct. 2011

* It was stock 5.5.886

* It was broken. So they (Best Buy) replaced it with another brand new one (I know it was brand new, because they took it out of the same place they took the original one. Since it was within the first so many days, I did not have to get a refurbished one as a replacement), in late-Oct. 2011.

* It was also stock 5.5.886

* From that point on (i.e. from the very beginning), I never got any OTA updates (i.e. I have never received a single OTA update whatsoever).

* When I went to the built-in update tool (Menu, Settings, About phone, System updates), it just said,
"Check for update is not available at this time.
Try again later"

* I rooted via Pete's method

* I installed Root Explorer

* I did the 'forever root' trick by adding the three necessary lines to the following file...
/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh

* I never froze any bloatware or did anything else, except install Titanium and MyBackup (well, and some other apps, of course, but never froze anything)

* Since I wasn't getting the updates at all, and since it was already well into January, about a week ago, I manually installed what was said to be the official OTA update that would bring it from the stock 5.5.886 (which is where I was at) up to 'the latest' which was said to be 5.5.893.
I did that as per this post.

* Now, after that one update, and having never done anything else other than what's stated above, I'm at 5.8.894 (NOT 5.5.893 like that post said it would bring me up to)

* Oh, I also installed ClockWork Mod Recovery.
Would having that installed (i.e. I had it replace stock recovery) keep me from getting OTA updates?

Yep the path saver is your only hope.

OK, cool.
Thanks, man.
I will give that a try.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read the other post. I do not know how your system got to .894. The file you downloaded must have been wrong. The only way for you to get updates now is to roll back with Bionic Pathsaver I believe. Factory reset will not roll you back and check for update will not work if you are on a non Motorola certified leak because of the encrypted bootloader. 894 is not official I believe. When you get back to the official build, if check for update is not working (for future releases) try pulling sim card or factory resetting.

BIrONIC

Reaction score
I read the other post. I do not know how your system got to .894. The file you downloaded must have been wrong. The only way for you to get updates now is to roll back with Bionic Pathsaver I believe. Factory reset will not roll you back and check for update will not work if you are on a non Motorola certified leak because of the encrypted bootloader. 894 is not official I believe. When you get back to the official build, if check for update is not working (for future releases) try pulling sim card or factory resetting.

Ya, I guess the file must have been wrong, cause I downloaded it from the link given where it said it would be the 5.5.893 update.
So, I guess I will try the path saver.
Thanks.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm on 901 still, I think it will be supported. I am going to wait before I do a path saver, since 901 runs so well.

Reaction score
I'm on 901 still, I think it will be supported. I am going to wait before I do a path saver, since 901 runs so well.

I'm with you. 901 is rock solid for me and I think we are still on the upgrade path.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I think so. Motorola just needs to officially release it already. They leaked it and it seems to be working for a lot of people.

debrad0307

Reaction score
To the OP who posted this rubbish... You sir ate an a hole. You posted this garbage to get people excited and guess what? You posted a LOT of false info. Why would you say half of the things you said when you have no info to back it up? At this point I'm not even excited about ICS... It will get here when it gets here. I suggest running a custom rom for now...

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

Status
Not open for further replies.