NVIDIA CEO Says that Good Tablets are Better than Cheap PCs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nvidia-ceo-Jen-Hsun-Huang.jpeg

Recently, NVIDIA CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, made the statement that a good tablet is better than a cheap PC. He was speaking during a recent earnings call and addressing questions regarding the direction of NVIDIA. Of course, with the world PC sales stagnating, NVIDIA was wise to push head-long into the mobile landscape, and apparently they are doing quite well because of it. He made the statement when specifically asked about the Nexus 7 and the new Microsoft Surface RT tablets. Here's a quote,

Questioned about the two Tegra 3-powered devices, Huang showed confidence in the potential of tablets, saying that the Surface represents a “new breed of tablets meant to get for getting work done”. He went on to claim that “[tablets are] getting more and more powerful, and they’re much better than a cheap PC.”

So, what do you guys think? Is a good tablet now a better investment than a cheap PC? How much more can the average user do on a PC than they could do on a tablet?

Source: AndroidAuthority

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
For anything other than productivity, sure. You can play some pretty fun games on tablets with tegra 3 chips that also look pretty good. A cheap $300-400 PC isn't going to play games very well. Web browsing is almost the same. But if you have a paper to write for class, I don't think its the same. Surface is the closest thing to being a decent productivity platform but still, I don't see it happening any time soon. Its getting there, but still a long ways off.

UncleVanya

Reaction score
Where do you see tablets are weakest in terms of productivity? Is it the lack of a keyboard, lack of reasonably powerful word processing software, the screen size, interaction model (touch vs mouse), or something else?

Sent via Tapatalk...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe...

Can the cheap PC play HD video? I have a Lenovo S10-2 that I bought to primarily write reports on. When I tried to watch videos on Youtube, I couldn't watch anything over 480p and even 480p full screen suffered. Netflix also doesn't fair well. I can't play games on it either, unless they are written in html 5.

However, I can play Netflix just fine on my Tegra 2 device, play HD games on it, and export it to a TV... but I can't write reports on it.

I think an Android tablet that can display different content at once, keep it in memory, and has a keyboard and mouse would be a winner. For now though, you need both.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
If I was in college now I would be carrying around my Xoom tab, and keep a BT keyboard and mouse for writing papers. I would probably just use Google Docs/Drive or a thumbdrive/OTG cable. Unless I plunked the money down for an Ultrabook the tab would have been great for me in college. I would even consider a Windows tablet but more than likely would want an Android powered device for gaming between classes!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Depends on what he defines as cheap.

I can have a custom built PC that is amazing vs one that might cost about $500 more if I pick n choose parts good. If he means older PC's or low end ones....I still wouldnt say a good tablet is better. The browsing experience will always be better on a PC. A PC is also more functional that a tablet.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on what he defines as cheap.

I can have a custom built PC that is amazing vs one that might cost about $500 more if I pick n choose parts good. If he means older PC's or low end ones....I still wouldnt say a good tablet is better. The browsing experience will always be better on a PC. A PC is also more functional that a tablet.
For web browsing I'd have to disagree. A top notch tablet (iPad 3/4, Nexus 10, and Asus Infinity) are going to browse the web great. Better than a cheap PC too, especially if more tablets get real keyboard docks.

The Microsoft Surface is a tablet that can work as a PC. Web browsing is fantastic on it due Windows 8 RT and brings in real multitasking. Also, both keyboards you can get for it work great and you can actually type just as fast on that as you can your Laptop. Therefore, it's almost perfect for college students as you can use Word, Powerpoint, and other things like that on it.

A Surface RT can do everything you really need if you don't need the big 3rd party apps that the Surface Pro will be able to have (things like Photoshop, etc), so if you don't need those, you're fine.

However, if you really do need to write papers and don't want the Surface RT, get a real laptop. It's definitely better than typing on a screen, usually a good bit faster and brings things up on the web the way they're meant to be, and is even better than something with a good keyboard dock like the Asus Transformer Infinity.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
For web browsing I'd have to disagree. A top notch tablet (iPad 3/4, Nexus 10, and Asus Infinity) are going to browse the web great. Better than a cheap PC too, especially if more tablets get real keyboard docks.

The Microsoft Surface is a tablet that can work as a PC. Web browsing is fantastic on it due Windows 8 RT and brings in real multitasking. Also, both keyboards you can get for it work great and you can actually type just as fast on that as you can your Laptop. Therefore, it's almost perfect for college students as you can use Word, Powerpoint, and other things like that on it.

A Surface RT can do everything you really need if you don't need the big 3rd party apps that the Surface Pro will be able to have (things like Photoshop, etc), so if you don't need those, you're fine.

However, if you really do need to write papers and don't want the Surface RT, get a real laptop. It's definitely better than typing on a screen, usually a good bit faster and brings things up on the web the way they're meant to be, and is even better than something with a good keyboard dock like the Asus Transformer Infinity.

Mobile vs desktop versions of websites. The desktop version is alot more functional, stable on a PC. Some sites....just typing in forums, comments sections.....the cursor acts possessed on some desktop versions on these mobile devices. Flash is getting pushed out the door on Android, isnt there on iOS. Its still used by lots of sites. Flash is more stable, functional on a PC than a mobile device.

Surface, I might agree for that tablet since its running the full desktop OS.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Probably true, but a "good tablet" can get to the point where it's significantly more expensive than a "cheap PC". Especially once you've added all the accessories to make it more "PC like" to begin with.

LocoRon

Reaction score
If I was in college now I would be carrying around my Xoom tab, and keep a BT keyboard and mouse for writing papers. I would probably just use Google Docs/Drive or a thumbdrive/OTG cable.

I'm in college now... and I am doing exactly that. ...Sort of. Earlier this year, I used my Xoom and BT keyboard (but no mouse) in my Java class (thanks Terminal IDE!).

In September, I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, hoping to have an even better note-taking experience. Unfortunately, 2/3 of my teachers this term are anti-technology, and don't allow any electronic devices in their classes. -_- (I still have to restrain myself from ranting about this....)

Tablets are so much more portable than laptops, and should have good enough battery life that you shouldn't need to worry about finding an outlet in class, that I think it's worth it. Some tablet software can be pretty finicky though. (I had some really horrible experiences with the Android word processors the year before last.)

Is a good tablet better than a cheap PC? ...Well, how cheap are we talking here? Because at the same price point (say, $500), there is absolutely no question; the PC wins. Well, aside from the fact that it'll be stuck at home while you're out-and-about.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can agree with that. Bleacher Report, a website I use just as much as tech websites but for my sporting needs, typing in the comment section is absolutely atrocious The lag is horrible. But everything else I've tried works smooth, just like it would on my computer. The only thing I can say computer browsing truly one-ups it in is the fact that it has a mouse for clicking small urls.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Where do you see tablets are weakest in terms of productivity? Is it the lack of a keyboard, lack of reasonably powerful word processing software, the screen size, interaction model (touch vs mouse), or something else?

Sent via Tapatalk...

All of the above except perhaps screen size if you have a 10" tablet. Plus lack of a real spreadsheet and photo editing software for me. The Surface RT is getting closer, but at a price with keyboard that gets me a much better small notebook. The Surface Pro will probably equal a notebook, but at an estimated price of $900 will not equal a similarly powered notebook.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't expect anything else from nvidia ceo. cheap pcs don't come with nvidia components while tablets do. simple business promotion.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I disagree a pc regardless of how cheap it is to the normal user will be better than a tablet. All normal people just want to surf the Web and watch netflix.