[Nutty Rumor] Intel Planning to Buy NVIDIA and Make Jen-Hsun Huang the CEO of Intel

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Intel-and-Nvidia-patent-agreement.jpg

Here's a rumor for the day that seems to come straight out of crazy-land. Supposedly, Intel is in negotiations with NVIDIA to buy the company and make Jen-Hsun Huang the new CEO of Intel. On the surface this rumor almost seems like an "April Fool's Day" prank, but if you think about it deeper, there seems to be a grain of wisdom in it. For one, the PC industry is on the decline, and Intel hasn't exactly been very competitive in the mobile arena, which is the wave of the future. The lone Motorola RAZR i phone certainly doesn't count as market dominating. NVIDIA, on the other hand has been kicking arse in the mobile world, especially with tablets. If Intel acquired NVIDIA, it would help them smoothly transition into a competitive powerhouse for mobile chips. A marriage of Intel's ARM processor designs coupled with NVIDIA's current mobile GPU and CPU prowess could be a force to be reckoned with.

What do you think? Will Chipzilla move to merge with NVIDIA, or is this just wishful thinking? (It's important to note that the rumor of Intel buying NVIDIA has been floated several times since 2006, so this could just be another case of wishful thinking.)

Source: AndroidAuthority

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
On the one hand, it seems disappointing since it will narrow the field of competitors down in the PC world. It will be AMD/ATI vs Intel/nVidia and I wonder how well Intel chipsets will play with AMD graphics cards and vice versa. On the other hand, from a Linux stand point, Intel has been very good at helping the open soruce community out with their drivers, so maybe we'll get open source, or at least more Linux friendly nVidia drivers. From a mobile point of view, I agree Inte's IP and strong knowledge base could make an Intel core + nVidia GPU quite the contender.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I doubt it. NVidia is doing fine on their own. You can say the desktop industry is on the decline but think of the computers in the work place. Sure, you can put a tablet in a clothing store all you want, but tablets will never replace a desktop workstation. Intel leads the pack there by a huge margin. ATI was bought by AMD because both companies were hurting and it worked for them. Nvidia and Intel are doing just fine on their own. I personally think it will be a bad thing if they merge.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
On the one hand, it seems disappointing since it will narrow the field of competitors down in the PC world. It will be AMD/ATI vs Intel/nVidia and I wonder how well Intel chipsets will play with AMD graphics cards and vice versa. On the other hand, from a Linux stand point, Intel has been very good at helping the open soruce community out with their drivers, so maybe we'll get open source, or at least more Linux friendly nVidia drivers. From a mobile point of view, I agree Inte's IP and strong knowledge base could make an Intel core + nVidia GPU quite the contender.

Here I am searching for what AMD video cards used to be called....I shoulda known someone here would know...lol.