Nvidia CEO: Why Android tablets aren't selling

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is an idiot for buying what they want and can afford. Personally I think the Xoom is a waste as I can get a Transformer with a dock for less than a wifi Xoom. Granted it'll be 16gb less space. As for the updates, im pretty sure that the Transformer will have a pretty big developer backing plus Asus is a pretty good company and they're already working on getting 3.1 out in June. I have no reason to doubt that they'll update their tablets until they prove that they aren't so I think the Transformer is the best tablet out right now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

accellpo

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is an idiot for buying what they want and can afford. Personally I think the Xoom is a waste as I can get a Transformer with a dock for less than a wifi Xoom. Granted it'll be 16gb less space. As for the updates, im pretty sure that the Transformer will have a pretty big developer backing plus Asus is a pretty good company and they're already working on getting 3.1 out in June. I have no reason to doubt that they'll update their tablets until they prove that they aren't so I think the Transformer is the best tablet out right now.

Well, good luck with your update that's coming who knows when! But at least "they're working hard on getting that out".lol Meanwhile the Xoom got 3.1 the day it was announced. How long was samsung "working" on an update for the galaxy s line? They've been on 2.1 all this time, Yet some people are lining up to get their next latest and greatest. Android updates are so vital, and I just don't think people realize that. Updates should be a huge consideration when buying your next android device and not some gimmicky keyboard dock!

"im pretty sure that the Transformer will have a pretty big developer backing"

Wishful thinking. The Xoom already has a huge developer backing. And huge backing from Google.

accellpo

Reaction score
People aren't idiots, fools who bought the outdated Zoom for $800 dollars are idiots. Plus who waits for updates, most of us (who are not idiots) will root our devices and update them ourselves.

Outdated? How is the Xoom outdated? Never mind. To even make a statement like that doesn't even warrant a response.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
People are idiots! The Xoom is the best tablet on the market. Ipad2 is still a big iPod. The transformer is good but when will it get updates? Keyboard dock is an expensive, add on gimmick! And if I want a keyboard, I can use my Bluetooth keyboard. The Xoom will get updates first. I'm really enjoying 3.1. Lets see how long it takes for the transformer to get it. The Xoom will probably be on ice cream by then. But hey, at least you'll have a useless keyboard dock.lol

I generally ignore posts like this. The once that starts with "People are idiots... " or something like that.

People have their own opinion and preference. Obviously you like your Xoom and that's great. But everyone uses technology differently and looks for specific things from them. Again everyone has their opinion; they are not idiots because they don't agree with yours!

Just my 2 cents

OK, some people are idiots. Hows that?:)

I'm just saying, a year down the line, you'll see these same people complaining and asking why their cheap honeycomb tablet hasn't received an update. Then they'll say "duuuh, Android is fragmented". We've already seen this movie, yet people continue to buy hardware made by companies with unproven track records. Then they blame Android! Its ridiculous. High end HTC and Motorola devices are the only ones to be trusted at this time. Just my opinion.

You will be one of those same people down the road wondering why your over priced XOOM isn't getting updates too, because there will be something better and your XOOM will be out dated. Dont believe it? Ask any Droid, Inc, (insert any "top of the line" phone from last year here), etc, owner.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

Well, good luck with your update that's coming who knows when! But at least "they're working hard on getting that out".lol Meanwhile the Xoom got 3.1 the day it was announced. How long was samsung "working" on an update for the galaxy s line? They've been on 2.1 all this time, Yet some people are lining up to get their next latest and greatest. Android updates are so vital, and I just don't think people realize that. Updates should be a huge consideration when buying your next android device and not some gimmicky keyboard dock!

"im pretty sure that the Transformer will have a pretty big developer backing"

Wishful thinking. The Xoom already has a huge developer backing. And huge backing from Google.

I realize that updates are vital but if I have to wait an extra month or two to get an update but I get to pay less and have a useful dock, then I'm okay with that. I'm more worried about updates to my phone than my tablet as Honeycomb is already pretty nice. I wouldn't be surprised if Ice Cream Sandwich is the last update that any of the current tablets get anyway so you paid extra to get two or three updates a little extra. Besides once the source for Ice Cream Sandwich is released we'll get the update anyway. Without source code the roms aren't going to be that great anyway.

accellpo

Reaction score

You will be one of those same people down the road wondering why your over priced XOOM isn't getting updates too, because there will be something better and your XOOM will be out dated. Dont believe it? Ask any Droid, Inc, (insert any "top of the line" phone from last year here), etc, owner.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm enjoying Gingerbread on my year old DX. :)

See, that's what I mean. You have to know what brand to trust. I know people who choose the Fascinate because of the colorful screen. I think its still on 2.1!
I'm speaking from experience with Android. I pre ordered my G1. Hardware is only half the story. You need those updates! Forget flash and other major features, just the performance difference from 2.1 to 2.2 was insane! And you get another boost on 2.3. More people should be made aware of this in order to make a more informed purchase.

Hardware specs are glorified in the Android world, but more emphasis should be put on software. It was nice to hear the news at IO on this matter, but that's still wait and see. As of right now, Motorola or HTC, that's all! Hope is all you have with the others. To get a device from LG or Samsung you're just asking to wait. And you will be waiting! If you trust Asus to keep you updated, by all means, jump right in. But its no difference with tablets. The jump from 3.0 to 3.1 is huge. Something I wouldn't want to be waiting for.

Lets face it, the majority does not root. And even when you do, the ROMs get much better when the devs get their hands on that official build. Of course you won't get updates forever, but I want them for as long as possible. Its the reason my DX remains awesome! The Fascinate owners will probably get the Galaxy 2, and receive more punishment. But the screen is so colorful! :) Resist the gimmicks people!

lldanll

Reaction score
I just can never justify spending that much on a tablet. I guess I have never given them much of chance though. To me they seem like a giant smart phone that can't make phone calls or a weak laptop that can't play games real games. I have my droid for portable apps that I want and my gaming laptop that cost 800 dollars for anything else. Tablets are in a weird category and that's why people don't buy them. I couldn't not think of a single instance where I have ever thought " man I wish I had a tablet right now". What would I get from a tablet that I can't get from my laptop or my phone? Might be a little more convenient to watch a movie on a tablet on a trip than pulling out the lappy but that's not worth 600+ dollars to me.

Now if they were all in the $100-200 price range then I might get one just to have laying around. But at the current price they need to do a better job advertising to make me feel like I need one. Because right more they just just silly to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

accellpo

Reaction score
I just can never justify spending that much on a tablet. I guess I have never given them much of chance though. To me they seem like a giant smart phone that can't make phone calls or a weak laptop that can't play games real games. I have my droid for portable apps that I want and my gaming laptop that cost 800 dollars for anything else. Tablets are in a weird category and that's why people don't buy them. I couldn't not think of a single instance where I have ever thought " man I wish I had a tablet right now". What would I get from a tablet that I can't get from my laptop or my phone? Might be a little more convenient to watch a movie on a tablet on a trip than pulling out the lappy but that's not worth 600+ dollars to me.

Now if they were all in the $100-200 price range then I might get one just to have laying around. But at the current price they need to do a better job advertising to make me feel like I need one. Because right more they just just silly to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

For me its a well balanced toy. The perfect media consumption device. It's turned my laptop to a desktop. In fact, it is the true laptop! I'll never hold my hot, with fans blowing, laptop again! Tablets are productive as well. Docs and spreadsheets are no problem. Web browsing is quicker than laptops.

Sure they're overpriced, but what isn't these days? If you want it, you buy it, but you won't regret it once you own it. And the prices will go down once the cheaply made knock offs release. Case and point, the Transformer. Lol. But even they've found a good gimmick to to get more money.

Fit tablets into whatever category you want as long as awesome is attached to it.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

You will be one of those same people down the road wondering why your over priced XOOM isn't getting updates too, because there will be something better and your XOOM will be out dated. Dont believe it? Ask any Droid, Inc, (insert any "top of the line" phone from last year here), etc, owner.

Well, I'm enjoying Gingerbread on my year old DX. :)

See, that's what I mean. You have to know what brand to trust. I know people who choose the Fascinate because of the colorful screen. I think its still on 2.1!
I'm speaking from experience with Android. I pre ordered my G1. Hardware is only half the story. You need those updates! Forget flash and other major features, just the performance difference from 2.1 to 2.2 was insane! And you get another boost on 2.3. More people should be made aware of this in order to make a more informed purchase.

Hardware specs are glorified in the Android world, but more emphasis should be put on software. It was nice to hear the news at IO on this matter, but that's still wait and see. As of right now, Motorola or HTC, that's all! Hope is all you have with the others. To get a device from LG or Samsung you're just asking to wait. And you will be waiting! If you trust Asus to keep you updated, by all means, jump right in. But its no difference with tablets. The jump from 3.0 to 3.1 is huge. Something I wouldn't want to be waiting for.

Lets face it, the majority does not root. And even when you do, the ROMs get much better when the devs get their hands on that official build. Of course you won't get updates forever, but I want them for as long as possible. Its the reason my DX remains awesome! The Fascinate owners will probably get the Galaxy 2, and receive more punishment. But the screen is so colorful! :) Resist the gimmicks people![/QUOTE]

First off, GB hasn't been officially released for your phone. If you're going by unofficial releases then people have had Froyo on the Fascinate for a while. Plus they already officially released it for the phone so that's another thing you're wrong about. 3.0 to 3.1 is not huge in my opinion. It's good but not huge. As for the Transformer being a cheap knock off, there's a reason reviews say it's better than the XOOM. The IPS screen is much better than the one on the XOOM imo.

Sent from my Transformer

bL33d

Reaction score
For me its apps there are just way more apps for the ipad and higher quality apps to boot. I think with the new os's for android devices and being able to scale apps for tablets will help a great deal.

I have had a nook color modded ofcourse and a viewsonic gtab but my ipad is just better. Now i do really want the galaxy tab 10.1 but i hope they get netflix working on all devices...

I can now stream on my droid x which is very nice but my jailbroken ipad with hdmi out tweak displays netflix beautifully.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
A couple weeks after the Xoom first dropped, I stopped in the local Best Buy to check it out. When I went in there, I couldn't find it...looked in the mobile area where they had all the other tablets, it wasn't there. Roamed around the PC area...nope...finally found it on a shelf with some of the netbooks. It seemed like they placed it there as an afterthought and didn't put much planning into it's location. At the time, it was still a new product and I would've thought it should be prominently displayed with adequate signage and what-not. But nope...this thing was just "stuck in a corner" with no real merchandising put into it. It's almost like they didn't *want* to sell any.

And I definitely agree that the $800 price tag didn't help matters either. Big put-off for many as seen here.

I guess I can kinda share a sentiment from an earlier post...it seems to me that a tablet is just a "toy"...kind of an in-between. Bigger than a smartphone but not quite as powerful as a laptop or netbook. Maybe a few years ago when I had more money to throw around I would've picked one up by now just for kicks, but the more I think about them and their "real-world" use, I don't know if I can justify having one. But, that's just me.

y0manda

Reaction score
Who needs a " secondary/ oversized phone" my phone can do everything a tablet can do, plus it fits in my pocket. Only the super geeks want tablets, the majority are satisfied with just a phone. Another point to consider is owning another device that will become outdated shortly. It's bad enough buying a new phone every year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums