Now that you have the Moto Droid, Your opinion on the Keyboard?

Dream

Reaction score
I think the keyboard sucks major. Horrible design IMO. Thank god for the virtual keyboard.

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
I agree with Dream - and even that one is a bit whack - I looked onlineand found the HTC keyboard rooted off a Hero and have been using that on my Droid.

dean.collins

Reaction score
basically there are enough good points to outweight the keyboard BUT..... I expect i'll be swapping to a HTC device in 12 months from now (you did buy your handset on a 12 month plan and not the 24month plan didn't you :)

Yes it's thin but HTC Touch pro 2 leave this keyboard for dead.

josh

Reaction score
I don't like it. I'm waiting for it to grow on me. Part of the problem might be that I haven't done any extensive typing on the phone since I got it on launch day, so I haven't really had much practice. I've mostly typed in some search terms and a couple dozen texts and IMs, and one email and for the short stuff it's more convenient to use on-screen especially with its predictive text.

JeepNaked

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by how many people pass judgement so quickly..

For me, I know I can't compare the 'comfort level' of being able to operate my Treo 700wx in my sleep.. but that at one time, I couldn't and it was awkward cause I was coming from a Moto flip phone.

So, the Droid's keyboard has grown on me.. I've gotten faster. I think its fine.. I know that I'll be a lot faster a month from now too.

Anyone know how to turn on the word completion option that the virtual keyboard has for the physical? I know its prob a part of the virtual keyboard software, but the need to complete really long words still persists.

Kemp

Reaction score
I like having a ? mark on the keybord, other than that it pretty much sucks. My fat ass fingers can not figure out when they are moving from one key to the next.

I guess skinny girls will love it.

msheldon

Reaction score
I find it nowhere near as bad as the reviews led me to believe. I have thick fingers (Size XL Gloves) with pretty decent callouses from doing wood and leatherwork and have no worse a typing rate on the Droid keyboard than with my ASUS EEE. I'm actually impressed with both the physical keyboard and the virtual keyboard that they are as accurate as they are with my big fingers.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
My only real issue with the physical keyboard is the offset from the 'anti-'chin + D-Pad, my right thumb keeps feeling under used (for some reason I seem to mostly use keys on the left and center).

StevenJDroid

Reaction score
I think the physical keyboard is not too bad as long as your fingers are not too chubby, but I am finding that the touchscreen keyboard with the Droid in horizontal position is much easier to use -- the letters are larger and the auto-word-complete suggestions are excellent and time-saving.

cknight91

Reaction score
I'm fine with the top row and shallow keys. I like the Dpad since I can use it to navigate when I don't want to use the screen, BUT it makes it so that I need to angle my right hand a bit awkwardly for fast typing. I am getting used to it though.

rod

Reaction score
if your one major drawback to the droid is the keyboard, i suggest none of yall go into a tmobile store and get your hands on a blur, or cliq, or whatever they call it. earlier this month, i went into a vz store to get my hands on a droid- my main fear being the keyboard. the manager told me to go next door to the tbmobile store and ask about the blur. supposedly its tmobiles version (hardware wise) of the droid, just rounder. i did so, and fell in love with the keyboard. the buttons are raised. how ingenious! raised buttons? definition for your fingers to tell one button from another? less chance of hitting the button next to it? all my worries went away. no way verizon would shake this superb trait.

and then i opened my droid. with the flat keyboard. aaahhhh.....

but oh well. im getting used to it. i sometimes hit the buttons next to what im trying to type, but its small potatoes compared to my previous phone (xv6800).

hell, sometimes i dont even slide out the keyboard because the onscreen landscape keyboard is that damn good!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
if your one major drawback to the droid is the keyboard, i suggest none of yall go into a tmobile store and get your hands on a blur, or cliq, or whatever they call it. earlier this month, i went into a vz store to get my hands on a droid- my main fear being the keyboard. the manager told me to go next door to the tbmobile store and ask about the blur. supposedly its tmobiles version (hardware wise) of the droid, just rounder. i did so, and fell in love with the keyboard. the buttons are raised. how ingenious! raised buttons? definition for your fingers to tell one button from another? less chance of hitting the button next to it? all my worries went away. no way verizon would shake this superb trait.

and then i opened my droid. with the flat keyboard. aaahhhh.....

but oh well. im getting used to it. i sometimes hit the buttons next to what im trying to type, but its small potatoes compared to my previous phone (xv6800).

hell, sometimes i dont even slide out the keyboard because the onscreen landscape keyboard is that damn good!
It is NOT the equivalent hardware wise. The Droid is a beast, the Cliq.. not so much. Plus, was the Cliq as thin as the Droid?

rod

Reaction score
sorry. misleading choice of words. maybe i should have said that its as close as i would have come to getting my hands on the droid at that time. pictures are pretty and all, and i had seen tons of them on the net, but i wanted my hands on the phone at the moment. this was all coming from a verizon manager, mind you. his exact wording was "hey, do yourself a favor and go next door. tmobile has the blur, and its their version of hte droid. different software and all, but youll get the idea."

as far as thinness? i dont quite remember. the salesmen were trying so hard to get me to sign up, and i was playing around with one of their personal phones, that i didnt really get to fool around with it too much. the main reason i wanted to see it was the keyboard. sorry!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't be sorry, just saying that the Droids hardware is much better than the Cliqs. The Droid also has newer software on it, is a tougher phone, and I'm pretty sure is thinner and has a bigger/higher res screen than the Cliq. The thickness is why the Cliq can have raised keys. They wanted the Droid to be nice and thin.